Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viking Direct Samsug TV

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

djimi wrote: »
    Nothing illegal about it.

Well there is actually

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Jev/N wrote: »
    Well there is actually

what was illegal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Jev/N wrote: »
    Well there is actually

Care to elaborate?

godtabh wrote: »
    what was illegal?
    Care to elaborate?

I'm surprised that posters don't think this is illegal.

I might clarify that I'm speaking about a situation where a company intentionally creates an erroneous pricing 'mistake' on purpose, and then relies on the doctrine of unilateral mistake and their various Ts&Cs to get out of honouring offers/contracts with would-be purchasers.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the above is not only ethically wrong but also legally so.

From the Consumer Protection Act, 2007, you could just look at the following:
    - unfair commercial practices;
    - misleading commercial practices; and, finally
    - prohibited commercial practices.

The last point may be stretching it but is definitely arguable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I would have thought that for a one off like this it would be very hard to prove that it was a deliberate ploy rather than a genuine mistake?

• Advertisement

I would have thought that for a one off like this it would be very hard to prove that it was a deliberate ploy rather than a genuine mistake?

I wasn't really arguing the proof. The point made was that it wasn't illegal, which in my mind it was - if it was a deliberate ploy.

Advertisement