Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applications Keep Crashing

Options
  • 03-03-2013 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Not to sure whats going on but over the course of the last week everything on my PC one by one has seemed to stop working. For example it start out with Firefox failing to started kept getting a error message saying Firefox has crashed then it moved to WLM then Internet Explorer MS Word ect. So decided to format the PC this morning after doing a virus scan with Malwarebytes and Hitmanpro coming up with nothing.

After reinstalling all my application it has happened again, not to sure what to make of it is it a hidden virus that a antivirus cant find my other thought is a failing hard drive? :(

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Could be dodgy RAM, I would run Memtest86+ and see if it fails. Could also be the hard disk failing so if memtest passes run a full diagnostic test of the drive, I recommend using Vivard. You can get these on the ubcd

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

yoyo wrote: »
    Could be dodgy RAM, I would run Memtest86+ and see if it fails. Could also be the hard disk failing so if memtest passes run a full diagnostic test of the drive, I recommend using Vivard. You can get these on the ubcd

Nick

Thanks Ill run these tests tomorrow and report back. Think I have a ubcd lying around somewhere, hopefully it is not the HDD again last drive failed only few months ago lol.

Quick update: explorer.exe now seems to be acting up giving a error message System call failed whatever that mean. Just thinking if it was the HDD windows would be giving write/read failures correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Before you run the tests, open the case and re-seat the memory modules and add-on cards. There's no harm in blowing out the dust either.

Just reseated the RAM there still no joy going to leave memtest86+ running while im out post back results later.

• Advertisement

How long does this memtest86+ take its been running past 4 half hours with 5 passes so far no errors.

Edit: Closed memtest might run it again over night. Booted into safe mode and everything working fine now again thinking it is a virus running malwarebytes again to see does it find anything bit confused at this stage if I must say.

Update: Malewarbytes finished without finding anything going to rule out hardware for the moment seems like something is blocking the programs from running. Checking the event viewer log here and is teling me the error I get in explorer lastnight was due to a access denied. (The scregsetvalueexw call failed for failureactions with the following error: access is denied) Going to try uninstall my software one by one to see which is the conflict. Also tried doing a system restore with no joy was told there is a antivirus running that is blocking it have soon disabled avg with no joy. Just thinking is there any way to check if there is a conflict?

Anyone any ideas? memtest86+ just passed this morning with no errors again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I would test the hard disk next, see if that is causing it. Depending on how they fail you may not see write failures, although you usually would. Software crashing could be due to resources they are trying to access being unreadable

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You'd have reinstalled by now ;)

Yep just finished reinstalling again lol. Everything working but the system still seems slow or as if something isn't right applications freezing for a few seconds then coming back to life, moving stuff around the screen or opening applications seem to be very choppy. Have good enough spec in this machine so shouldn't be a issue. Not to sure if the HDD test will show anything will try it anyways. Last time the HDD was failing the tests kept coming back good but Windows would randomly report read/write errors and random BSODs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I'd have checked the HDD first. If that's what's failing it could've been a lot worse.

It sounds like the Hard Drive after reading all the rest of your posts.

You could try any of these tools

Free, Quick and easy way to check for bad sectors is Partition Wizard

Allyall wrote: »
    I'd have checked the HDD first. If that's what's failing it could've been a lot worse.

It sounds like the Hard Drive after reading all the rest of your posts.

You could try any of these tools

Free, Quick and easy way to check for bad sectors is Partition Wizard

Sorry for the late reply. Running it few days now after formatting everything seems to running smoothly now again. Windows updates seemed to fixed the lag/freeze problem after formatting. Not to sure what happened in the beginning to me seem like a virus that couldn't be detected. :confused:

Advertisement