Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat food with more jelly than meat

• 03-03-2013 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

I know this is a long shot and probably a contradiction in terms but I'm trying to find a decent quality wet food for my cat, Neil, that has a high jelly content.
    I feed him dry Bozita (sensitive salmon flavour) which he loves, but I have to give wet twice a day so that I get a 500mg dose of l-lysine into him as he has calicivirus and as he gets older he gets attacks more and more frequently.

My problem is that he's not really interested in the meat and tends to lick the meat/fish chunks dry and leave them. The better quality foods have very little gravy/jelly like Applaws.

My second problem, whether it's supermarket quality or better, he goes off it after about a week and I have to change.

My latest effort is Cosma. It's like human grade and looks so good I could eat it myself. He won't touch it.

Any ideas? I guess what I'm really looking for is lots of jelly with some nutritonal value. I really don't want to have to force pills down his throat.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Did you know you can get powdered L-Lysine? Those L-Lysine tablets from Sona are like bullets!

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-L-Lysine-Powder-1-lb-454-g/653

I know it can help cats infected with FHV-1, but never heard of it for calicivirus before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

I buy the tablets and grind them in a pestle & mortar. The tablets are huge, there's no way I could get one down him so I grind it into a very fine powder and mix it with whatever jelly or gravy he'll eat.
    It seems to work for calicivirus too for some cats. I had plenty of good reports from people. It definately works on my boy to boost his immune system. If I stop the dose for a few days he gets really congested and sounds like darth vadar. When I resume it eases noticeably.
    I got some bisolven from the vet last month but it didn't do much for him tbh.
    I think it's just his age. He's had it all his life but he can't seem to shake it off anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Have you tried wet Bozita? It got quite a bit of jelly in it and the chunks it has are very soft (can be squished to jelly if need be). Another option would be pouches of Cosma (you did not state if you tried a can or not) as they have more jelly than the cans or the "normal" Whiskas pouches (as much as it pains to say it) which got a sweet sauce.

No I haven't tried the wet Bozita as yet. I had a good look at them a while back and was put of by the size of the carton (I prefer smaller sizes as I only need the equivalent of about 1 pouch per day). But I'm encouraged to hear that it has a high jelly content. Is it any particular flavour or all they all about the same?

As for the Cosma, I tried the Cosma Thai selection pack of small tins. There were about 4 different flavours and the jelly was very pale but I don't know what he didn't like. There was a lot of white chicken meat in all of them except for the tuna & crab one which he liked for 5 minutes.

I'm embarrassed to say that I'm back to Whiskas tonight as it seems to be the only thing he'll eat right now - oh and it has to be the tuna in jelly :o

If only it was as easy as my dogs. They eat anything - including my shoes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

The L-Lysine powder would save you grinding the Sona tablets - shipping is really reasonable. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Binka wrote: »
    No I haven't tried the wet Bozita as yet. I had a good look at them a while back and was put of by the size of the carton (I prefer smaller sizes as I only need the equivalent of about 1 pouch per day). But I'm encouraged to hear that it has a high jelly content. Is it any particular flavour or all they all about the same?
    Only tried sterilized and kitten so far but they are both quite jelly. The fact they are in cartoons means you can easily seal it if need be or simply put it in a box for the night if need be.

boomerang wrote: »
    Did you know you can get powdered L-Lysine? Those L-Lysine tablets from Sona are like bullets!

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-L-Lysine-Powder-1-lb-454-g/653

I know it can help cats infected with FHV-1, but never heard of it for calicivirus before?

Wow. That's an amazing price too. 454g for €11. I buy the Sona jars for around €8 - 9 euro for the 500mg tabs which is bacically 30g of the stuff and I have to grind them. That's an incredible difference. Thanks for the heads up on that, boomerang. :)

Nody wrote: »
    Only tried sterilized and kitten so far but they are both quite jelly. The fact they are in cartoons means you can easily seal it if need be or simply put it in a box for the night if need be.

I think that's on the shopping list for my next order, especially as they have increased the minimum delivery to 19. I used to be able to buy a 2kg bag of Bozita dry on it's own but now I have to add another fiver to it so i think
    I might try the same one as his dry - sensitive hair & skin. You never know, he might like it for more than 5 minutes.

Advertisement