Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Au revoir PTSB (Permanent TSB)

Options
  • 03-03-2013 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,

I am currently in Portugal, with my PTSB card unable to withdraw cash at the ATM, getting "Operation not autorised", whereas my account is way in the positive, and I have been trying for 3 days now...
    I have a bank account in France and could withdraw here in Portugal without a problem.

It was the same some days ago (on the 22nd Feb, 2013, after working hours) at an ATM on O'Connell St.: unable to withdraw. Some days after, it was working from a PTSB ATM, and an AIB ATM (??). No report of network glitches in the newspaper... weird.

There is no news anywhere, I don't know if I am the only one affected or what, but I am here to say au revoir to my PTSB account: as soon as I come back I'll switch! I expect my VISA Debit card to work 24/7.

Their recent downgrade of PTSB is indicative anyway (although all banks in Ireland seem bankrupt).

I am posting in this forum to find a soul that maybe is having the same problem as me?...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The first thing I'd check is: how you do know the card isn't faulty/damaged? Different machines have different tolerances to damage to the strip/chip etc.

I'd be surprised that we haven't had a thread here if it was a common problem, so personally, I'd eliminate that option first.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

No I haven't noticed any outages on my withdrawals in Ireland anyway...

Have you contacted them to check with them - could there be something wrong with your card?

Oh also maybe your card has got a stop on it because of withdrawals from a different country (protection for you against fraud). Happened me once. Rang them and they removed the stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Have you tried other banks' ATMs ?

Definitely ring PTSB though. Could be something up with your account eg they might have blocked your card due to suspected fraud and not have a working number to phone you on.

They can be reached at 00 353 1 212 4890

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jcn50

Hi all,

Most of your questions are answered in my first post:
    - the card is not damaged because I successfully withdrawn money before leaving Ireland ;
    - Yes, I have tried another card issued from a French bank: no problem. And also tried many different banks in Portugal with the PTSB card: same.

About the suspected fraud: I am not in South America... They have my mobile number, it didn't change since I opened an account with them. I have no left messages.

I will try to make a purchase in a store with the card to test it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭locustfurnace

jcn50 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Most of your questions are answered in my first post:
    - the card is not damaged because I successfully withdrawn money before leaving Ireland ;
    - Yes, I have tried another card issued from a French bank: no problem. And also tried many different banks in Portugal with the PTSB card: same.

About the suspected fraud: I am not in South America... They have my mobile number, it didn't change since I opened an account with them. I have no left messages.

I will try to make a purchase in a store with the card to test it out.

I've used my PTSB card in the last few days abroad with no problems.

I've used my PTSB card in the last few days abroad with no problems.
    Ok, I am glad to know I am the only one affected.
    Will try a purchase tomorrow, and if I have the courage to ring them I will.

Thanks all for your fast follow-up. I'll keep you updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

->
    Different machines have different tolerances to damage to the strip/chip etc.

;)

If it doesn't work tomorrow sure give them a call.
    (from my card) Outside ROI: +353 1 2124101

Btw not all fraud happens in South America you know.

When the stop was put on my card I was in New York. It was a slight inconvenience - but I would have thanked them if it had been fraud - they unblocked it straightaway once I rang them.

Tried both ATM and purchase: "not authorised". I will call them tomorrow from Dublin, as I am going back~. It was too rainy and windy this morning. I'll keep you updated, I think you guys are right: the card got blocked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Yes, I think contacting your bank about a problem using your card might be a good idea :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

It's always worthwhile notifying your bank if you're going out of the county.

Hi again all,

Just called the bank: seems that I had multiples online transactions pending since the JAN 17th (which I had done myself), and they had blocked the card since then... Very strange, as I was able to withdraw before going on holidays last week.
    I have been advised to call them before I go on holidays as well~ which is a pretty new procedure to me.

I was told that the block was removed and I can now use my card normally.

I will now ask for a moderator of the forum to modify the title of this topic.

Thank you all for your fast replies//

Advertisement