Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avid or premiere??

Options
  • 03-03-2013 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

Wanting to buy a program soon, studying avid but not sure whether I'd be better off buying premiere or not. What are bigg industries using? What do you prefers if your have used them both?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

havent any experience of Avid, Adobe Premiere has tight integration with other Adobe products such as Photoshop, After Effects, Audition, Speedgrade etc. I tried Sony Vegas but didn't take to it.
    Top Ten Reviews give Adobe the award even though they only review the top four.
    Try out as many as you can befor you lock yourself into a system i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Never heard of Avid until you mentioned it. It seems to be processional level software but it's also spread out across a few bits of software. While it may be better at doing what it does it might not have the same range of features as Première, but that's a guess. Plus it looks like Première is considerably cheaper.

I guess it boils down to how much editing your going to be doing and who you will be handing it off to. If your doing it professionally and will need your output to be broadcast quality then the pro level software might make sense. If your editing for youtube première would be more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

ScumLord wrote: »
    Never heard of Avid until you mentioned it. It seems to be processional level software but it's also spread out across a few bits of software. While it may be better at doing what it does it might not have the same range of features as Première, but that's a guess. Plus it looks like Première is considerably cheaper.

I guess it boils down to how much editing your going to be doing and who you will be handing it off to. If your doing it professionally and will need your output to be broadcast quality then the pro level software might make sense. If your editing for youtube première would be more than enough.

Yeah Premiere I like the idea of having all those functionalities alright. Im just using avid at the minute in college and its great, but I just wondered was I limited to things I could do with it really. Its prob premiere I should be shooting for with wanting to put graphics and images into videos also.

Also reason for asking was that for further career developement was wondering whether I would be better off getting avid or premiere, ie, what do studios use mostly in this day and age!

Yeah Premiere I like the idea of having all those functionalities alright. Im just using avid at the minute in college and its great, but I just wondered was I limited to things I could do with it really. Its prob premiere I should be shooting for with wanting to put graphics and images into videos also.

Also reason for asking was that for further career developement was wondering whether I would be better off getting avid or premiere, ie, what do studios use mostly in this day and age!
    I don't think the program that makes the video is that important as long as it can output the video in the correct format.

I know nothing about Avid so can't comment on it, I would have assumed première would be fairly common due to it's compatibility with photoshop . One thing about première is it's graphics ability is somewhat limited when compared to After effects (premières sister product for special effects).

You should perhaps look into After Effects at the same time. It's a different animal altogether and is like a mash up of première and photoshop. It's not as straight forward to use as an editor but can do anything an editor can do plus much, much more. I think it's around the same price as première too.

If your looking for career opportunities there might be more with After effects knowledge under your belt because once you know after effects most other programs seem like kindergarten toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Avid is the industry standard for editing software, as a result it's got the price tag to match.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

I have 2 Avid MC6 suites, and 2 Adobe CS6 suites - I hate Avid - it's muck. I only have it because some of my editors use it. Adobe Premiere kicks it's arse in every way possible, especially the Creative Cloud subscription, which means you only pay €90 per month for all the legal Adobe products and can stop at any time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I prefer working in Avid, but it's probably because it's what I'm used to using.
    I find it handles bigger projects better. But I'm strictly offline so don't have to worry about grading, titles or anything like that.

But certainly if you're doing everything yourself then sticking to Adobe might be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

Lump wrote: »
    Avid is the industry standard for editing software, as a result it's got the price tag to match.

I hear you on that one! But I'm a student at the minute!!! ;-) $$

For Avid money you could get the entire production suite of Adobe products.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I have 2 Avid MC6 suites, and 2 Adobe CS6 suites - I hate Avid - it's muck. I only have it because some of my editors use it. Adobe Premiere kicks it's arse in every way possible, especially the Creative Cloud subscription, which means you only pay €90 per month for all the legal Adobe products and can stop at any time.

And creative cloud is €20 a month for students at the moment. Think the offer ends soon enough though. Amazing deal imo.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 291 ✭✭Sixtus

Avid is the industry standard software. If you're interested in working a professional editor I would advise you to use avid as it pretty much the gold standard for professionals. Having worked in nearly every level of film/tv post production (from high end drama, to news, to corporate) I've encountered premier being used once, in Bloomberg news, 99% of the time you're using FCP or Avid, and I don't see FCP lasting the distance.

Avid is affordable for a student.

http://www.studica.com/uk/en/Avid/avid-media-composer-6/9935-65286-00.html?utm_source=google-uk&utm_medium=ppc&gclid=CM7uo-OX5rUCFUbMtAodUnIAYg

£165 sterling for a student licence. And you can usually upgrade your student licence to professional licence once you graduate.

If you just want to play around get premier. You want to get a job in editing, get avid.

Advertisement