Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Facebook adverts/spam

Options
  • 03-03-2013 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

I don't know how they get away with advertising to us without giving the option to turn it off or opt-out.

The WIX Website Builder Sponsored Story drove me insane so I made this little guide on how to disable all advertising on Facebook as well as the Sponsored Stories using AdBlockPlus http://goo.gl/C8M3s

DIE SPAM

PS. Get on Facebook and share

Regards,

Sugarlumps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

The following code is used in a host file downloaded from http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

# [Facebook]
    127.0.0.1 ads.ak.facebook.com
    127.0.0.1 creative.ak.facebook.com
    127.0.0.1 creative.ak.fbcdn.net #[textads]

I was under the impression it would block the ads coming from Facebook so far this hasn’t happened. I’ve cleared the cache in both Firefox and IE 9.

Am I missing something? Suggestions?

As always many thanks

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That looks correct. What OS are you on?

Add these to the hosts and see if it works better
    fbcdn-creative-a.akamaihd.net
    view.atdmt.com

Facebook ads are a messy buisness so maybe just use adblock. Remember to disable adblock on boards.

Since we're getting more and more spam on facebook I'm creating this thread for discussion on how to avoid facebook spam/unwanted adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

biko wrote: »
    That looks correct. What OS are you on?

Add these to the hosts and see if it works better
    fbcdn-creative-a.akamaihd.net
    view.atdmt.com
    Windows 7 Home and no the two addresses you gave me didn't seem to do any good. They're still in the Host File but so far no joy

Advertisement