Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Real Madrid Match Thread. 5/3/2013 K.O 19.45

• 04-03-2013 12:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭

ManchesterUnited-Vs-Real-Madrid-Uefa-Champion-League-Wallpaper-1024x640.jpg

Biggest game of the season so far,let's get the ball rolling early.I expect the United team to line up pretty much the same as what we saw in the first leg.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

United know what they have to do. They are in their own back-yard. They will have the power of 70,000-odd screaming United fans in their corner. United are cruising through the domestic side of things very nicely and have one hand firmly on the Premier League trophy at this early stage of the season.

Real also know what is needed. They are a club that will not be over-awed by history and prestige. They play in front of 80,000-odd fans week-in, week-out. They kicked Barcelona's ass twice in quick succession. They have almost certainly lost any chance of winning La Liga, so European Glory is their target this year.

This has potential to be an absolute cracker. Both sides will have their game plan, which will have been laid out by arguably the two best tactical managers in the game. I said it months ago when the draw was made that I actually fancied United to do Madrid over two legs, and I stand by that. Everyone I've talked to so far thinks I'm nuts, but I think that United will knick it on the night and progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Real Madrid have been scarily good in the recent Clasicos. They didn't tear Barca apart or anything and only had around 35% possession, but they used it very well when they had it and defensively were immense. Ronaldo is playing to the absolute peak of his powers and Varane appears to be some kind of hybrid of Maldini and Paul McGrath, basically an absolute beast willing to put his body on the line but who is very composed.

This game is going to be a bit strange because I get the impression both teams will almost be more comfortable without the ball. United know that allowing Real Madrid any time on the counter-attack is fatal. Madrid will want to draw United out a little bit and find some gaps in behind for Cristiano to run into.

I was negative before the first leg and predicted a Real Madrid win, but I was pleasantly surprised by United's performance which was reminiscent of Madrid in the recent Clasicos (funnily enough, none of the Spanish press are chastising Real Madrid for being a negative team who are scared of the ball as they did United).

Unfortunately I still think Real Madrid's individual quality is just too superior, and will get them a goal from somewhere and see them through. Stopping Ronaldo is one thing, but his supporting cast of Ozil, Di Maria and Benzema are all top class players well capable of producing a moment of magic out of nothing. Real Madrid's team cost of 100s of millions to assemble, and ultimately that extra bit of quality could make the difference. I really hope I'm proved wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Hopefully we have another Scholes-like moment that we'll cherish for years :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

carlop wrote: »
    Real Madrid have been scarily good in the recent Clasicos. They didn't tear Barca apart or anything and only had around 35% possession, but they used it very well when they had it and defensively were immense. Ronaldo is playing to the absolute peak of his powers and Varane appears to be some kind of hybrid of Maldini and Paul McGrath, basically an absolute beast willing to put his body on the line but who is very composed.

This game is going to be a bit strange because I get the impression both teams will almost be more comfortable without the ball. United know that allowing Real Madrid any time on the counter-attack is fatal. Madrid will want to draw United out a little bit and find some gaps in behind for Cristiano to run into.

I was negative before the first leg and predicted a Real Madrid win, but I was pleasantly surprised by United's performance which was reminiscent of Madrid in the recent Clasicos (funnily enough, none of the Spanish press are chastising Real Madrid for being a negative team who are scared of the ball as they did United).

Unfortunately I still think Real Madrid's individual quality is just too superior, and will get them a goal from somewhere and see them through. Stopping Ronaldo is one thing, but his supporting cast of Ozil, Di Maria and Benzema are all top class players well capable of producing a moment of magic out of nothing. Real Madrid's team cost of 100s of millions to assemble, and ultimately that extra bit of quality could make the difference. I really hope I'm proved wrong though.
    Ronaldo aside Rvp Rooney and kagawa are as good if not better than the other players you mentioned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As Ray Wilkins would say, "hello folks, this should be a humdinger".

Fancy both teams to score again, after that have no real predictions, could go either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If somebody had told me before first leg that a win would see us through I'd have snapped at it.

It's going to be extremely close. I give United slight edge but no more.

Just bit disappointed I'm going to miss bit of game due to exam. But I did miss CL final in 99 and Barca in 08 too so maybe that's good thing in end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,383 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

United need RVP to be sharp tomorrow. Last number of games he has been poor in front of goal imo. Still mad at him for that miss vs Madrid in the first leg, should have been an easy goal. His allround play has been quality, but we are going to need goals tomorrow night and RVP is going to be the guy we look to for them, imo. Others will be a threat, but RVP will be main point of attack, we will need him to be on the ball and effective with the chances he will get.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

United need RVP to be sharp tomorrow. Last number of games he has been poor in front of goal imo. Still mad at him for that miss vs Madrid in the first leg, should have been an easy goal. His allround play has been quality, but we are going to need goals tomorrow night and RVP is going to be the guy we look to for them, imo. Others will be a threat, but RVP will be main point of attack, we will need him to be on the ball and effective with the chances he will get.

100% agree.

Jones didn't take part in the open training session this morning (15mins the media can be present at).

Not worried about him myself, my gut feeling is Fergie is playing games and Jones will be fine to start, if Fergie wants him too. Personally I reckon he could have played on Saturday and any denials from Fergie, and his absence, are just Fergie trying to keep his cards close to his chest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Both games tomorrow night look mouthwatering but this is probably the game I've been anticipating most so far this season. The difference of United having Kagawa potentially playing to his Dortmund standard is such a bonus for United if he can replicate his weekends performance but he hasn't done it consistently enough to predict this sort of display or something close with any confidence.

I know United are at home but I think the worst thing they can do is set up like they usually would at Old Trafford, I think being too positive against this Madrid side is a negative, leaving themselves vulnerable to counters from Ronaldo and Di Maria (whose been outstanding of late) could be suicidal.

So many intriguing battles around the pitch, I think Madrid targeted Rafael in the first leg but he on whole performed very well as he's done most of the season, funny that Rafael and Varane despite their age would be two of defenders you'd have more confidence in in turning a sound display.

I think I'm slightly siding with Madrid because Jose has tactically got the better of Fergie more often than not on the big occasions but impossible to even begin to write United off with their clinical frontline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

9-0 to Real Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Can't wait for this one. Should be a fascinating game and I'm expecting drama.

The tactical battle should be interesting, as the away goal situation starts to play on the managers' minds - as has been stated Madrid had more of the ball in the first leg but have shown just how dangerous they can be on the counter. United will feel that at Old Trafford the onus is on them to attack - there should be no team they fear in their own patch. Then again they know a clean sheet will see them through...

While I'm expecting goals, in a way I wouldn't be surprised if these factors influence the game somewhat and we see a slightly cagey opening. Ferguson and Mourinho will really have to earn their money and it will be very, very interesting to see how they set up and how the game plan evolves during the match.

Have to say I love these big encounters in the Champions League where every goal is crucial, where managers have to decide whether to stick or twist - it makes for a tense, dramatic occasion that you can't really replicate even in the biggest league ties.

As for predictions - after the first leg I said it was impossible to call and would have been happy just flipping a coin. But the momentum now is with Madrid after a great week and as has been stated they perhaps have that slight bit of extra quality. So I would give a slight edge to Madrid, but wouldn't be at all surprised by a United victory.

I'm expecting a close match anyway, with a tense ending, one that won't be over until the referee blows the final whistle.

It's a cliché but it could be one moment of sheer quality that decides it and both teams have players capable of that - though perhaps none more so than Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just bit disappointed I'm going to miss bit of game due to exam. But I did miss CL final in 99 and Barca in 08 too so maybe that's good thing in end.

I won't get to see any of the game due to work so it's updates via Newstalk for me:(

Have Madrid as favourites for this tomorrow, as I can't see United keeping them scoreless for 90+mins.

United HAVE to win tomorrow to go through imo, and i wouldn't make us favourites to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

For me its a truly 50/50 game.

Madrid need to score or they are out, but I think they will ok, and I also think they will concede at least one as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

1-1 Extra time and penalties. De gea to save Ronaldo's to win the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If I had any prediction it would be that Madrid will score and so from a United point of view away goals is not a route to victory. I can see them losing on away goals however, 2-2 or something similar, and Van Persies miss in the first leg could really come back to haunt them, you have to take those chances.

I also do not expect to see Kagawa play, regardless of his weekend hat-trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Real Madrid going in the form of their lives.

Deserved favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Ferguson claiming that Jones is out of the game tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

GavRedKing wrote: »
    9-0 to Real Madrid.

I think everyone should reply with a post like this

Heres mine

42-37 to Manchester United :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Trilla wrote: »
    I think everyone should reply with a post like this

Heres mine

42-37 to Manchester United :)

/checks odds for a 42-37 scoreline. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ronaldo aside Rvp Rooney and kagawa are as good if not better than the other players you mentioned

No they are not. Ozil is proabably the best number 10 in the world at the moment and di maria is in excellent form. Id agree rooney and rvp are better then benzema alright.

Cant wait for this game, wonder will ronnie defy gravity again

klose wrote: »
    No they are not. Ozil is proabably the best number 10 in the world at the moment and di maria is in excellent form. Id agree rooney and rvp are better then benzema alright.

Cant wait for this game, wonder will ronnie defy gravity again

Hardly a whole lot in it between Ozil and Rooney (if he plays the number 10 role). Ozil more creative and probably easier on the eye, Rooney a better goalscorer and offers more defensively.

RvP is better than Higuain/Benzema, and di Maria is better than anyone United will pick out wide alright, but if it's Nani, there isn't that much between the two of them.

Madrid's front 4 probably have more of an edge collectively rather than individually (Ronaldo aside!) as they are far more settled and thus have a greater understanding than the United front 4, which is chopped and changed very regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Think we'll line up like this. Don't expect Hernandez, Anderson, Valencia or Young to start.
              de Gea

Raf      Rio    Evans    Evra

Carrick
      Cleverly\Giggs   Kawaga

Welbeck\Nani          Rooney

RVP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Probably jinxing it, but this should genuinely turn into a really great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭bassy

Trilla wrote: »
    Think we'll line up like this. Don't expect Hernandez, Anderson, Valencia or Young to start.
              de Gea

Raf      Rio    Evans    Evra

Carrick
      Cleverly\Giggs   Kawaga

Welbeck\Nani          Rooney

RVP

There's no way In hell giggs will start this game,he will be a sub and come on with 20 or so minutes to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Cant see Giggs starting either, be good impact to get the crowd going and give the team a boost if needs be, but thats it I hope

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think this could be an extremely cagey game...

Two early goals, 1-1 early on could really be a death knell. Something like the semi final between Madrid and Munich. Great 30 minutes until 2-1 and then dead until penalties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Kick off is 13 hours and a half away and I'm already getting excited about it!

No predictions, just; COME ON UNITED!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I don't think Giggs or Kagawa will start, or indeed Nani.

Probably Valencia Cleverely Carrick YWelbeck across the middle.

Rooney playing between a no 10 position and helping the midfield and RVP up top.

I think Anderson would have been in contention for Cleverelys place but having given one of "those" performances on Saturday, has played himself out of contention.

I would start Nani myself but think any ideas Fergie had of playing him went when Jones was ruled out. Think he will see Valencia and Welbeck as the safer options.

I'm feeling quietly confident myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

To play Valencia would be suicide imo, why start with 10 men?

I wonder what chance of Rooney not starting?

Chance he could go with:

RvP
    Kagawa
    Welbeck
    Nani

Reason I say is because in Madrid, he shifted Welbeck (even though he had the option to put Rooney there) into that position in the second half, and it worked really well in terms of stifling Alonso and Rooney was quite ineffective from the wing (as he is against most top level opposition in that position, it's just not his position) so SAF might be thinking that an in form Nani would give the side a far greater outlet playing out wide, and he isn't that much worse defensively in that position than Rooney, if at all. Kagawa is again a lot more suited than playing out wide than Rooney, and is off the back of a hattrick.

I must qualify this by saying that I don't think the above will happen but I think there is a chance of it if SAF really wants Welbeck on Alonso again and doesn't fancy Rooney out wide.

Rooney will play.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Just a question, no need for arguments or anything. How do you all feel about SAF disrespecting the real Ronaldo in this press conference?

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »
    Just a question, no need for arguments or anything. How do you all feel about SAF disrespecting the real Ronaldo in this press conference?

He should be sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

You're better off asking in the UTD thread tbh. A few over there thought it was unnecessary, myself included.

He should be sacked.

Would it have been so hard to actually answer the question properly?

Would it have been so hard to actually answer the question properly?

No, but it's a ridiculous question to ask in the Match Thread.

I don't know what kind of outcome you want from asking something like that - reasonable people are going to be reasonable and say something like he shouldn't have said it.

Unreasonable people are going to be unreasonable, and then you, and others, will argue with them.

It's hardly the end of the world, he was disrespectful. I doubt Ronaldo cares too much, or is losing any sleep about it, so you probaby shouldn't either.

It's just another stick for Liverpool fans to beat him with, I'm sure he's bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Discussed on the super thread but I thought it was disrespectful and an awful thing for a man in his position to come out with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Really nervous about this now, I don't care what happens as long as we get into the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hopefully I'll wake up to news of a Ronaldo hat trick and a Real win.

Any of you guys over at the game tonite?,could you pick me up a match day scarf at the ground,will pay you the money for scarf.
    If anyone would be kind enough to pick me up a scarf it would be truly appreciated :)

Drop me a pm if you can help,cheers.

bassy wrote: »
    Any of you guys over at the game tonite?,could you pick me up a match day scarf at the ground,will pay you the money for scarf.
    If anyone would be kind enough to pick me up a scarf it would be truly appreciated :)

Why would you want a scarf from a game you won't be at? :confused:

Xavi6 wrote: »

Why would you want a scarf from a game you won't be at? :confused:

To keep me warm when we lift the 20th,hope that unconfuses you mr plastic blue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

what did he say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I was at the Norwich game on Saturday (first time) and as I was walking out someone flung a scarf from several stories up and it landed right in front of me.

It was a Man United v Real Madrid scarf.

Yoink!

You'd wear a United/Madrid scarf during a premiership game?

Terrible answer :pac:

If you manage to get one be sure to take a pic and send it to these guys.

Ironic. Half-scarfs are as cringey as full kits - same kind of people wear them.
    NinjaK wrote: »
    what did he say?

Called Brazilian Ronaldo fat. Shocking.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement