Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Real Madrid Match Thread. 5/3/2013 K.O 19.45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

efb wrote: »
    The pundits are making up rules and Roy is pulling them to pieces.
    So are most of the people on here in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Just here to say well done to any Madrid fans.

I hope ye go onto win it now.
    Is there even one in here?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

that's twice in a year that Modric has broken my heart (in a footballing sense!). He was the mastermind behind Croatia destroying us in Poznan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

As usual gracious in defeat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Why is Keane getting aggressive over this???

Its a debate between the 3, but he starts shouting..
    Relax Roy.

Hes trying to be controversial. Terrible pundit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

There's nothing about intent in the rule book says keno- Southgate flummoxed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Mourinho: 'The best team lost'

Fair statement? Discuss

Yup, but like he said after it thats football, has happened to all the teams we support and will happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

United were robbed. Terrible reffing. Had to make a quick exit out of a local bar here after saying as much! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Tom1991

I cant take keane seriously at all.He is a bitter spiteful man who even though he had it all is never happy.
    Cant wait until he gets another go at being a gaffer so he's off the box and i can laugh at him as he buys chopra and the boys again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

That's crap and you know it. Special One changed the game by bringing on Modric!
    That's just crap and if you believe that your delusional

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I liked Keane's point about giving the ref a chance to send him off which is what Nani did regardless of intent.

Still don't think Utd were robbed as people here say, after all Madrid had to score twice , which is not easy even against 10 men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Probably only a yellow in the good old days...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Lol you really embarrassed yourself tonight. When Roy Keane, a Manchester United club legend calls it as it is, you are here posting this tripe.

lol.

Yes. Because that's the same. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I don't think Keano said it was a definite red. What he said was that Nani gave the ref a reason to send him off and rightly or wrongly, the ref obliged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

Arbeloa was extremely lucky . he could have been killed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Roy Keane spot on in what he says. It's dangerous play, whether there is intent or not it really doesn't matter, he put Arbeloa in real danger with a reckless challenge. Maybe in the Premier League or SPL you might get away with yellow but it's rare on the continent that you don't get a red card for that these days.

Also isn't it a shame that all anyone can talk about is a red card and not a fine Madrid display, heroic performances from Varane, Lopez and Modric. Or that overall the better team has gone through which can only be good for the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

monkey9 wrote: »
    Arbeloa only got yellow for something similar in the first half

Arbeloa didn't leave the ground though. Nani was in the air. He wasn't in control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Worst decision of the night was Ferguson's team selection ainec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

Keano arguing that it was a red to be controversial. Other two lads afraid to disagree with him! lol! RTE really need to get Roy on with Dunphy and Giles, the lads would be disagreeing all night!

Not sure what to make of Mourinho. Says his team didnt play well but I'm sure he is in the dressing role congratulating each player. Despite having the extra man they still had to score 2 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wasn't a red.
    Ronaldo was rubbish.
    Modric changed the game.
    Both teams could have and should have had penalties.
    Kaka is still playing?
    Mourinho is shameless in his pursuit of the United job.
    He probably won't get it.

• Advertisement

Roy Keane spot on in what he says. It's dangerous play, whether there is intent or not it really doesn't matter, he put Arbeloa in real danger with a reckless challenge. Maybe in the Premier League or SPL you might get away with yellow but it's rare on the continent that you don't get a red card for that these days.

Also isn't it a shame that all anyone can talk about is a red card and not a fine Madrid display, heroic performances from Varane, Lopez and Modric. Or that overall the better team has gone through which can only be good for the competition.

That was not a fine Madrid display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

Keno 92 wrote: »
    What did Keane say about the card lads?

He said it was a silly red to get, cause if you're gonna get a red card you should make sure the other player never plays again :pac:

Never a sending off. I thought Madrid were starting to get going well before the red card. Of course we won't know what would've happened. Mourinho and Keane both having a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Tom1991 wrote: »
    I cant take keane seriously at all.He is a bitter spiteful man who even though he had it all is never happy.
    Cant wait until he gets another go at being a gaffer so he's off the box and i can laugh at him as he buys chopra and the boys again.

You sound more bitter and spiteful than Keane there, just because he doesn't follow British media/Utd Supporters biased opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Yeah, felt it was a red myself, wouldn't have complained about a yellow either but it was dangerous play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Roy Keane talking complete rubbish. Chiles, Dixon and Southgate absolutely right and making complete sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I don't care how hard Danny Welbeck works, how quick and athletic he is and how much he loves Man United. The lad is a striker, his sole responsibility should be to score goals, and 1 goal in 30 odd games doesn't paint the picture of a Champions League standard player.

Compeltely disagree. Asked to do a specific role today and he did it very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Roy Keane talking complete rubbish. Chiles, Dixon and Southgate absolutely right and making complete sense.
    Chiles talking sense? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Great first half, great tie. 2 teams going at it with full intensity and great quality on display.

And then the game is over suddenly on 66 minutes largely due to a poor refereeing decision.

As a Liverpool fan I should be delighted and see it as some sort of justice for another game earlier in the season that was ruined and influenced by a poor decision (Shelvey's red).

But as a football fan I'm very disappointed.

An absolutely fantastic tie that was right in the balanced ruined. Spectators robbed of what should have been a really tense and dramatic finale.

Disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Made a complaint to TV3 about the horrendous commentary from Mark Lawrenson. Probably won't be looked at but its there anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Keane is talking bollix. It was a harsh red, a yellow max. Keane is worse than Dunphy for feck sake. Nani tries to control the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hand on heart I honestly can see why Ref gave it.

It was not sending off, but Nani left himself open to a red.

Harsh, but Refs dont have the luxury of replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

murpho999 wrote: »
    I liked Keane's point about giving the ref a chance to send him off which is what Nani did regardless of intent.

Still don't think Utd were robbed as people here say, after all Madrid had to score twice , which is not easy even against 10 men.

And they got into a rhythm in the second half. United did not score enough goals or even one via their strikers, as simple as that. Ronnie missed at least 3 chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

G.K. wrote: »
    Compeltely disagree. Asked to do a specific role today and he did it very well.

And in the first leg. Which he scored in as well. He did brilliantly over both games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Probably only a yellow in the good old days...

Back when men were men and shinguards were really tested. Pointon should have been booked for going 'ooh' and not getting up quicker. :pac:

Chiles moves Glasgow to England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Thought it was yellow myself but football common sense doesn't come into the professional game nowadays with regards refs and tackles, abiding strictly by the rulebook. The stoppage didn't do United any favours too. Unfortunate as it was 50/50 over both ties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Tom1991 wrote: »

Who would be foolish enough to give him another job as Gaffer?

If it were the old days, he'd have retired from playing, failed at management and then gone on to run a pub somewhere.

Should there have been a red card given in the image below? He has his eye on the ball, he's tracked it from behind him, didn't know when he left the ground if there's a player there. There's no intent to injure anyone but if there happens to be someone there he may have.
    bergkamp_1681449a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

No Fergie interview??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

United were robbed. Terrible reffing. Had to make a quick exit out of a local bar here after saying as much! :D

Yeah it was indeed but remember he wrongly ruled a goal out for a foul that wasn't there when Real put the ball into the net in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,583 ✭✭✭✭CSF

edgecutter wrote: »
    Keane is talking bollix. It was a harsh red, a yellow max. Keane is worse than Dunphy for feck sake. Nani tries to control the ball.
    I don't know where you get the max from here. It a yellow minimum surely, whatever about where his eyes were looking or what he was trying to do, he went in high foot, studs up. Yellow card minimum, this time it was given as a red.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

Varane, Lopez and Nordic were brilliant .

The way modric manipulates space is sublime. He is a fantastic player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Tinie wrote: »
    No Fergus interview??

Probably for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Not a United fan but can't agree with much of that at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

niallo27 wrote: »
    Arbeloa didn't leave the ground though. Nani was in the air. He wasn't in control.

Arbeloa wasn't in control either and that was more of a challenge. Nani was just trying to take the ball down.

Either way, neither were red cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

"Hand on heart I honestly can see why Ref gave it.

It was not sending off, but Nani left himself open to a red.

Harsh, but Refs dont have the luxury of replay." (Keane, 2013)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Made a complaint to TV3 about the horrendous commentary from Mark Lawrenson. Probably won't be looked at but its there anyway.

Too right, the smart mouth of him becomes irritating after about 10 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Also Modric changed the game as much as the red card. If Madrid had kept the same 11 up against United's 10 they would have been there all week and not scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

No need for that, vent your anger towards the ref not poor ould Lawrenson.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement