Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Real Madrid Match Thread. 5/3/2013 K.O 19.45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    He set the team up for a draw and then there was no plan B, when Madrid scored IMO.

Totally agree, no plan B.

Outwitted by Jose 'the Special One' Mourinho...:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Whatever about being sad enough for ABU's to revel in Utd's defeat but to not even keep it to yourself takes a special kind of muppet.:rolleyes:

You're not "sticking it to Utd". You're being a **** to other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

For years we've heard players getting away with dodgy tackles because they had eyes for the ball and tonight all of a sudden it doesn't matter. So any attempted volley that connects with the defender will automatically be a red from now on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Get a life little boy

Don't bring me into this, stay on topic.

Anyway, overall, over two legs, I think Real deserved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

I thought it was just me, I was switching between TV3 and ITV and they were total poler opposites in opinion on the Real Keeper. Even when Welch said something positive about the Real Keeper, Lawro had to leap in and make a joke of it. Lawro sounds like a bitter old man these days with stock lines complaining about dodgy foreign keepers and diving/cheating foreigners in the English game.

Lawros comments bothered me all thru the game. He shouldn't be allowed on air again given his totally unprofessional and childish remarks. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Quazzie wrote: »

But he didn't "raise his foot and control the ball" as you so nicely put it did he?

Yes he did but Arbeloa just happened to be there. Suppose your gonna roll out the old cliche of "his studs were up". How else is he meant to control the ball?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

ebbsy wrote: »
    Hopefully Rio and Co. will serve substantial bans for attacking the ref at the end, who made the correct decision with the dangerous high kung fu kick.

Attacking?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

aramush wrote: »

:rolleyes::eek: Rose tinted goggles on full tilt where they

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

http://www.marca.com/

Lads even Marca, the most biased of publications, refer in their subheading, and first line of the article to the 'injusta expulsion de Nani' (unfair dismissal of Nani).

I've never seen a red given for a foul like that.

Nani had eyes only for the ball. As people have said, we'll be giving reds for bicycle kicks if that's the standards. What about Diaby's kick on Terry in the League Cup final a few years back? Should that have been a red too? No, everyone said it was a clear accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

aramush wrote: »

Ha. Jesus I would love to know how you came to that conclusion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Apparently "intent" is irrelevant. They were checking the rules on ITV. If it was dangerous etc is all that matters.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/clubfootball/01/37/04/28/law12-en.pdf

This post, it's basically what keane said. The ref was right. It seems a few man-u fans have their fingers in their ears when it comes to the laws of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

So none of ye blame ferguson deluded it is so , wow you one it twice , even Chelsea won it last year . Trying to be clever in his team selection he got what he deserves , nothing .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

The absolute idiots corrupting this thread epitimises why I frequent this board less and less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Gbear wrote: »
    Whatever about being sad enough for ABU's to revel in Utd's defeat but to not even keep it to yourself takes a special kind of muppet.:rolleyes:

You're not "sticking it to Utd". You're being a **** to other people.

To be fair, I don't think anyone here is revelling in United's defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

In other news, running now to be outlawed in football - studs up and two feet off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Milkers wrote: »
    I presume all the people who are asserting so definitively how bad the red card decision was are either all UEFA qualified referees or at the very least have read an up to date copy of the official rules of the game recently? Personally I thought it was arguably harsh, arguably being the operative word.

Actually I do have a very recent copy of the FIFA rulebook on my shelf. In any case, anyone watching ITV wouldn't have needed it as Chiles read out the section of the rulebook that related to Nani's tackle and noted that the word "intent" isn't once mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

Am i the only one that thinks nani did have a little kick at arbeloa...
    When he made contact his leg pushes out towards arbeloa and i think that's what he was sent off for..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The first time I saw it, I thought Nani would be lucky to escape a red, and that's what happened. Harsh, possibly, there was no intent, but his foot was high and the studs were showing. So there's not much blame you can really lay on the ref for producing the red.

Not a great game tonight by any means. Utd folded way too easy when they went down to ten. Inexplicable too, they should have still have been able to defend compactly. Mou made the substitutions to give Madrid another attacking Midfielder and in fairness to Modric he scored, but Utd's defence was shocking. There was no structure or order, any decent team would have beaten them. Point at the red if they wish, reds do change games, but they should have been able to cope a lot better than they did. On the whole Utd were probably the better team but that's sport for you the best team doesn't always win.

Can't really see this Madrid side on current form breaking down Bayern or Dortmund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Macker1 wrote: »
    Lawros comments bothered me all thru the game. He shouldn't be allowed on air again given his totally unprofessional and childish remarks. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

The funny thing is while on the one hand Lawrenson was criticising Diego Lopez for timewasting, he actually complimented Ronaldo on deliberately seeking out and connecting with a wayward offside pass in order to kill the game and waste a few seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Morzadec wrote: »
    http://www.marca.com/

Lads even Marca, the most biased of publications, refer in their subheading, and first line of the article to the 'injusta expulsion de Nani' (unfair dismissal of Nani).

I've never seen a red given for a foul like that.

Nani had eyes only for the ball. As people have said, we'll be giving reds for bicycle kicks if that's the standards. What about Diaby's kick on Terry in the League Cup final a few years back? Should that have been a red too? No, everyone said it was a clear accident.

The laws of the game say "A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play."
    IT doesn't have a provision for players with "eyes for the ball".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

markc1184 wrote: »
    If Nani starts I think this could be the game that wins him the level of contract he's looking for.

s-NANI-RED-CARD-large.jpg?12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

was "Rio" the grown man clapping in the face of the ref like a demented 2 year old?

He then goes all sportsman like 1 min later and shakes hands with the ref:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Yes he did but Arbeloa just happened to be there. Suppose your gonna roll out the old cliche of "his studs were up". How else is he meant to control the ball?
    Arbeloa won the ball with his chest so how in the name of hell did Nani control it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's the kind of decision you don't see in Premier League and SPL but in La Liga, in Italy and in Turkey that would be a red all day long.

Still think it's the wrong decision but that's European football.

Ha. Jesus I would love to know how you came to that conclusion

Apologies, said wrong team, I thought United deserved to go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Mr.Micro wrote: »

He set the team up for a draw and then there was no plan B, when Madrid scored IMO.
    I'd tend to agree with you here. Also I think united reacted poorly to losing the man, just reversed the bus another bit with no out ball. Giggs did well for xn hour or so but should have been pulled with ten men imo. United defended with 8 static players strung along the 18 yard box which was never going to work for 30 odd minutes
    The sending off was harsh but the ref was within his rights. I'd also guess that someone had a word in his ear to send him off, be it a lino, 4th official or someone in the stands. I mentioned earlier evra and nani were a weak link. Nani is a loose cannon and the gamble of starting him backfired big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Renn wrote: »
    s-NANI-RED-CARD-large.jpg?12
    in fairness to Nani he played well down the left
    he was your biggest threat along with Welbeck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I think the ref got it wrong, he's no Howard Webb😉 Ferguson got it wrong to!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

United losing a big game really brings out the dregs of the soccer forum.
    11 v 11 we go through. Hard done by the referee.

For anyone that thinks it was a justified red card, ask yourself this, were you not a bit shocked to see a red come out?
    If you say you weren't, I say you're a liar.

There's an argument for the red card, a flimsy, shìtty argument.
    Proud of that performance considering the circumstances.

Fergie refusing to speak to the press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

rarnes1 wrote: »

itll only get him a ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

So, what's the difference between Nani's red card and the Madrid keeper missing a corner and punching Vidic in the head?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Cienciano wrote: »
    The laws of the game say "A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play."

So if a goalie dives at the feet of an on rushing forward and injures him, is that a straight red?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

rarnes1 wrote: »

Massive fine and a huge ban if he does speak and loses the rag,best wiat a bit i'd say......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

If im not mistaken i believe Mr Ferguson and most the United players around it thought this was a red card when it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Harpy wrote: »
    When he made contact his leg pushes out towards arbeloa and i think that's what he was sent off for..

I think it shows more of the opposite. If you're not expecting contact, your leg will tense up and straighten out. Purely natural reflex is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Harpy wrote: »

I agree 100% . If you look at it on the first replay in this video you can see clearly that his leg straightens after impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Off The Ball team go off the air yesterday. Man Utd go out of the champions league tonight. Can this week get any worse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

As a non-United fan that game couldn't have gone any better. Controversial red card, lost a 1-0 lead, Ronaldo scored the winner.

Having said that, it was never ever a red card and the outrage is justified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Does anyone who thinks it wasn't a red, not think nani messed up with his mid air kick out at arbeloa? I think Keane is right about this. The main blame lies with Nani who gave the ref a reason to send him off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Cienciano wrote: »

Raising your foot could be deemed as serious foul play as long as there is contact. The rules need to have common sense. There is no letter of the law red card as its all down to interpretation of the rules. There are obviously red cards and dangerous play that is more obvious that others. However if that was a red card and serious foul play then we're all gone terrible soft.

I also bet you if that happened to your team you wouldn't be wasting our time with this. It's not even 60/40. There is no way that should be a red card.

Aidric wrote: »
    Off The Ball team go off the air yesterday. Man Utd go out of the champions league tonight. Can this week get any worse?

Hugo Chavez just died

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

cambo2008 wrote: »

For anyone that thinks it was a justified red card, ask yourself this, were you not a bit shocked to see a red come out?

It's a debatable red card, one far more common on the continent than in Britain and one that Nani shouldn't have put himself in a position to receive.

To say that the argument in favour of a red card is flimsy and ****ty is, in itself, a flimsy and ****ty argument. Of course there is a strong argument to be made for it being a red card, there is a precedent of that type of challenge being given red cards. Perhaps it is a little harsh to regular viewers of the Premier League but in a European game, under the control of a European referee I wasn't overly surprised when he produced the red card, I'd say there were many others who felt the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

Real were robbed of a perfectly legit goal too IMO and a pen for rafael handball. A lot of subplots to this tragic comedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Rafael should have been sent off
    it evened itself out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

daithijjj wrote: »
    If im not mistaken i believe Mr Ferguson and most the United players around it thought this was a red card when it happened.

It was. The two incidents aren't the same but I'm sure you know that.

Anyway I'm out.

Okay, last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

cambo2008 wrote: »

I was shocked to see the red card yes. After I seen the replay though it looked like the right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

daithijjj wrote: »

My god. Did you have a look at that clip before you posted it!? Maybe you posted the wrong one? Because that one simply cannot be compared to the Nani incident in any kind of manner!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement