Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Real Madrid Match Thread. 5/3/2013 K.O 19.45

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

cambo2008 wrote: »
    United losing a big game really brings out the dregs of the soccer forum.
    11 v 11 we go through. Hard done by the referee.

For anyone that thinks it was a justified red card, ask yourself this, were you not a bit shocked to see a red come out?
    If you say you weren't, I say you're a liar.

There's an argument for the red card, a flimsy, shìtty argument.
    Proud of that performance considering the circumstances.
    I called it. It was a high foot dangerous tackle, the ref can only see the challenge once so has to make up his mind. It was one of those it could go either way decisions and the ref went for the drastic.

As a spurs fan I was delighted to see modric again for the first time since he left, a beautiful player to watch even if he did have the freedom of the park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Why did they not use the German referees that were at the 1st leg .

The Ref was not strong enough for a match of this calibre .

Interesting to hear what Collina will have to say about it - He was there as a Uefa observer .
    UEFA has already defined the four referee observers who will be in charge of the match officials' observation and assessment in UEFA Champions League .
    As UEFA's chief officer in terms of refereeing, Pierluigi Collina, will go to Manchester's Old Trafford stadium, it is certain that Italian Nicola Rizzoli is unable to handle this match.

http://footballrefereeing.blogspot.ie/2013/02/pierluigi-collina-will-observe-manu.html#.UTZwW9aePIc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

For anyone that thinks it was a justified red card, ask yourself this, were you not a bit shocked to see a red come out?

There's an argument for the red card, a flimsy, shìtty argument.

To say at 11 v 11 you go through is downright outrageous. It could have still gone anyway.

Mourinho showed why he is such a good tactician tonight, he didn't even hesitate in going 3 at the back once Nani got sent off and bringing on Modric was the match winner. He gave them such control in the middle of the park and was directly involved in both goals.

Surprised Mourinho went back to 4 at the back after the second goal. United were there for the taking and to put it completely to bed. United can feel hard done by by the red card, incredibly stupid red card, idiotic by Nani to put his foot in that high, but it's a clear accident, yellow card and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Have to praise the Liverpool fans for finding so many incidents of when United players should have been sent off/penalties/goals given that I didn't even know about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,331 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Exactly. Was it the Carling Cup final a few years ago, Arsenal v Chelsea when Terry got knocked the **** out by a kick by I think Diaby? No card given, no hard feelings.

Or Crouch kicking a player in the face at the weekend or Colocini breaking Ba's nose a few weeks ago.
    Not even a booking in either case.

Come to think of it what about Lopez punching Vidic in the face tonight ,going on the so called rules that should be a sending off.

Utd were the better team until the sending off ,they looked in control and Real were looking out of ideas much like they have been doing for most of the season against teams that set out their stall like Utd did tonight.
    De Gea hardly had a save to make in the first hour.

Real may have scored against 11 men but I think Utd would have scored a second.
    The sending off destroyed the game ,it was outrageous .
    Football used to be a mans sport ,tackles that wouldn't even get a free 10 years ago are now resulting in red cards ,its a farce.

Roy Keane is a nasty bitter old man ,he shouldn't be allowed analyse any more Utd matches ,he is a traitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,499 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

To those saying it was a definite red, could Lopez have been sent off for punching Vidic? By standard of the red given, he should have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

AdamD wrote: »
    So, what's the difference between Nani's red card and the Madrid keeper missing a corner and punching Vidic in the head?

Honestly, I thought Utd were denied a penalty there and at the very least Lopez deserved a yellow. He punched him square in the face! Only reason I'm adding the caveat of at least is because the Keeper is entitled to punch into the air, Nani's situation was different in that he's not entitled to have his studs showing like that. High foot is one thing, but studs out is another. But if you're looking for consistency a red should have been issued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Why did they not use the German referees that were at the 1st leg .

The Ref was not strong enough for a match of this calibre .

Interesting to hear what Collina will have to say about it - He was there as a Uefa observer .

http://footballrefereeing.blogspot.ie/2013/02/pierluigi-collina-will-observe-manu.html#.UTZwW9aePIc

In fairness the ref in the first game bottled a clear red card for a Madrid player.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Imo a guy who jumps forward into the air with his leg outstretched at head height and no idea where anybody else is (since he focused only on the ball) is clearly acting dangerously, deserved red

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I just want to say that I learned alot about certain posters tonight. You'll have a few Liverpool lads like Leiva that will have a bit of a pop now and again but when the chips are down, he calls a spade a spade.

Then you have others who do nothing but troll United fans any time something goes against them. Some of the stuff here tonight has been utterly pathetic. Think of us in May lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Real disallowed goal,rafael handball why are people forgetting this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

As a spurs fan I was delighted to see modric again for the first time since he left, a beautiful player to watch even if he did have the freedom of the park

Me too. Such a gifted little player. Can't believe they don't play him more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

wow.

that is all.

just so everyone knows too...
    In the last 2 years, referee Cuneyt Cakin has sent off Balotelli (Man City), Terry (Chelsea), Gerrard (England), Cahill (Chelsea) and now Nani (Utd).

i'm also begging someone who is good at anagrams to make a good one out of the ref's name :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

So if a goalie dives at the feet of an on rushing forward and injures him, is that a straight red?
    If he does it in a way that's careless and reckless, then yes.
    What nani did was careless and reckless.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I just want to say that I learned alot about certain posters tonight. You'll have a few Liverpool lads like Leiva that will have a bit of a pop now and again but when the chips are down, he calls a spade a spade.

Then you have others who do nothing but troll United fans any time something goes against them Some of the syuff here tonight has been utterly pathetic. Think of us in May lads.
    When bayern play Dortmund?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Fenix wrote: »
    My god. Did you have a look at that clip before you posted it!? Maybe you posted the wrong one? Because that one simply cannot be compared to the Nani incident in any kind of manner!

Of course i looked at it, its being tweeted by Arsenal fans tonight. What the United fans dont seem to get is that you cant even risk that type of thing with continental refs like tonight, never mind English ones. The game has been lobbied to take out reckless challenges and folk got their wish. You cant choose whats reckless and what isnt to suit. If Roy 'have that ya c*nt' Keane says it was a red i think theres an argument for that opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,331 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

FutureGuy wrote: »

Then you have others who do nothing but troll United fans any time something goes against them Some of the syuff here tonight has been utterly pathetic. Think of us in May lads.

You can tell most of them never even played the game either ,armchair sportsmen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Quazzie wrote: »
    Arbeloa won the ball with his chest so how in the name of hell did Nani control it?

That was his intention. The referee should have given Nani a yellow card and told him to be more careful. If red cards were being handed out for every tackle like Nani's even if there is no malice, we'd be pis*ed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

SlickRic wrote: »
    wow.

that is all.

i'm also begging someone who is good at anagrams to make a good one out of the ref's name :p

Cuntey Cakin. Simple but effective.

Now that I mention it 'Simple but effective' could be his tag line :)

Utd are very bitter tonight and it's understandable, I think we look at the incident tommorrow when they have calmed down they will see it wasn't that bad a desicion.

• Advertisement

You can tell most of them never even played the game either ,armchair sportsmen.
    People who arn't economists shouldn't comment on any fiscal issues either in that case.

I'm not a welter weight , better leave the boxing forum. Suppose I can't support the New England patriots anymore either.

Can I back a horse at Cheltenham?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Imo a guy who jumps forward into the air with his leg outstretched at head height and no idea where anybody else is (since he focused only on the ball) is clearly acting dangerously, deserved red
    Head height me arse. Since when is Arbeloa's head on his hip ffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

wow.

that is all.

I was Cakin me pants when I heard he was the ref. Rightly so it seems.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Head height me arse. Since when is Arbeloa's head on his hip ffs?
    Armpit height IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

People who arn't economists shouldn't comment on any fiscal issues either in that case.

I'm not a welter weight , better leave the boxing forum. Suppose I can't support the New England patriots anymore either.

Can I back a horse at Cheltenham?

SSHhhh the soccer hipsters like to pretend it's only them entitled to post. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I was a bit shocked when I seen the red at first but the more I see it and think about it, the less terrible a decision it seems.

While its not a stone waller in either direction, it's certainly not the travesty it's being made out to be.

Had Madrid been rightfully awarded that goal in the first half it would have been a very different game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Cant recall anyone on here calling for a red prior to the ref showing it. Given the amount of time between the tackle and the card you'd expect someone to have called for it. Usually theres a page full of posts after a united player tackles someone at all dodgily.

But we are supposed to believe all these posters kept their opinions to themselves when they felt Nani of all people deserved to walk?? Just goes to show people will defend any decision made against a team they hate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

There's an argument for the red card, a flimsy, shìtty argument

I wasn't shocked to see the red card. I never really trusted that referee since last season's competition as well as Euro 2012.

Essien wrote: »
    I was a bit shocked when I seen the red at first but the more I see it and think about it, the less terrible a decision it seems.

While its not a stone waller in either direction, it's certainly not the travesty it's being made out to be.

i wanted Utd to get spanked.

what we got was actually more entertaining for a non-United fan.

but it was never, ever a red. Nani hasn't a fúcking clue where Arbeloa is, and also barely connects with him. there's no force, there's no follow through. he thought he was controlling the ball, then all of a sudden Arbeloa is winning the ball.

a red should never even have been in the equation. it was barely a yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

ceegee wrote: »
    Cant recall anyone on here calling for a red prior to the ref showing it. Given the amount of time between the tackle and the card you'd expect someone to have called for it. Usually theres a page full of posts after a united player tackles someone at all dodgily.

But we are supposed to believe all these posters kept their opinions to themselves when they felt Nani of all people deserved to walk?? Just goes to show people will defend any decision made against a team they hate

People not posting on boards during a game are generally looking at the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Lonesome Boatman

Keane called it right. Was a red card.

but it was never, ever a red. Nani hasn't a fúcking clue where Arbeloa is, and also barely connects with him. there's no force, there's no follow through. he thought he was controlling the ball, then all of a sudden Arbeloa is winning the ball.

Do you not think he shouldn't go diving foot up two feet of the ground if he hasn't a ****en clue what's around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

United should of had a pen too when Vidic was boxed by Keeper in first half.

Just saying as lot people missed it;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Arbeloa knew exactly what he was doing. He seen Nani trying to control the ball coming over his head and jumped in to prevent him controlling it. I've watched it over and there is no doubt.

It was a poor decision from the ref, a simple free / yellow card and get on with it. Never a straight red.

After that decision the game was over as a contest, Modric being the main protagonist.

Would have loved to have seen seen the game pan out with 11v11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

What the fcuk are you at being all reasonable....

:p

But but but Roy Keane said it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Don't agree with Mourinho that the best team were knocked out, really seems to be angling for the United job or trying to p*ss off the Real board. United paid for playing for the draw, when they could have hurt Madrid if they really went at them.

Red card could have went either way, but the ref only sees it once so can't really complain about his decision. Probably made up for the Rafael handball in the end though.

That's two years running Van Persie missing great chances has cost his team a result in the knockout stages.

Good 'homecoming' for 'Ronnie' though.

Also has to be a gif floating around from Fergie's celebration when he thought Vidic scored. :D

ceegee wrote: »

People waited to see it a few times before they posted on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I just find it funny that the very same people up in arms over Shelvey getting a red card for a tackle on Evans have suddenly jumped to the other side of the fence on how the letter of the law should be applied.

And also how the word of Roy Keane is gospel all of a sudden to people who wouldn't give him the time of day up until now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Don't agree with Mourinho that the best team were knocked out, really seems to be angling for the United job or trying to p*ss off the Real board. United paid for playing for the draw, when they could have hurt Madrid if they really went at them.

Red card could have went either way, but the ref only sees it once so can't really complain about his decision. Probably made up for the Rafael handball in the end though.

That's two years running Van Persie missing great chances has cost his team a result in the knockout stages.

Bollocks. That's a complete pile of sh1te. These match threads are great for weeding out the clueless and sh1tstirrers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Saganist wrote: »
    Arbeloa knew exactly what he was doing. He seen Nani trying to control the ball coming over his head and jumped in to prevent him controlling it. I've watched it over and there is no doubt.

It was a poor decision from the ref, a simple free / yellow card and get on with it. Never a straight red.

After that decision the game was over as a contest, Modric being the main protagonist.

Would have loved to have seen seen the game pan out with 11v11.

Well if we are talking fair then why is Rafael still on the pitch after handling on the line?

Turtyturd wrote: »

He is looking for attention IMO. What was the **** about walking down the tunnel before the final whistle. He knew the cameras would be on the ref at full time so he wanted his minute in the limelight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

The sending off has been over-sensationalised. He may not have seen Arbeloa coming, but Nani was asking for trouble by going in with his studs at that height. Look at it again in full speed. From the referee's position on the field he can't see that the winger's eyes are firmly on the ball. He sees a dangerous stomach-high tackle and acts accordingly.

From another position, the ref may have had a better view and may have formed another opinion. He didn't, though, and United failed to adapt to the challenge at hand. Ferguson has to take some blame for that.

I just find it funny that the very same people up in arms over Shelvey getting a red card for a tackle on Evans have suddenly jumped to the other side of the fence on how the letter of the law should be applied.

And also how the word of Roy Keane is gospel all of a sudden to people who wouldn't give him the time of day up until now.

Mostly called Liverpool fans I think. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

In the last 2 years, referee Cuneyt Cakin has sent off Balotelli (Man City), Terry (Chelsea), Gerrard (England), Cahill (Chelsea) and now Nani (Utd).

Haven't seen all those reds, but here's a couple of them.

Here's the Terry one

This was the Balotelli one.

Doesn't seem like a conspiracy to me? Anyway, I'd reckon if a Euro ref has a habit of sending players off from English teams then it might be something to do with his interpretation of the English "way" of play and as such something I'd tell my players to be extra cautious about when their time comes to have him.

BTW "Cuneyt Cakin" = A c.unt nick ye

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Well if we are talking fair then why is Rafael still on the pitch after handling on the line?

Same reason the madrid goalie finished the game after punching vidic i guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

While I did enjoy that tonight, it did bring back memories of that night in the Nou Camp with RvP's farcical second yellow. Similar bull**** decision tonight that UEFA will find some letter of the law strawman argument to defend it with.

If Arbeloa had jumped in the same was as nani in the incident you could compare them but he didn't so you can't compare the incidents.

Nani did know where he was though, there's a replay showing that.

Plus intent has nothing to do with it if the ref thinks it's dangerous play

Yes, I agree. There were a few others on each side. United should of had a pen etc bu that red ruined the game imo.

If it was deserved then fine, but fss, he was trying to pull the ball out of the air and he jumped into him ... on... purpose.

The spectacle was gone then, however, I'm still disappointed how quick we conceded the goals after the red. :(

niallo27 wrote: »
    Do you not think he shouldn't go diving foot up two feet of the ground if he hasn't a ****en clue what's around him.

what?

he jumped in the air, stretching for a ball he was trying to control with the one foot.

you make it sound like a karate kick similar to Ryu or Ken in Street Fighter.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement