Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Real Madrid Match Thread. 5/3/2013 K.O 19.45

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

jaykay74 wrote: »
    You are missing an "s".

the Ronaldo's, Messi's, Iniesta's or even Ibrahimovic'S.

There's only one Ibrahimovic, you don't simply pluralize Ibrahimovic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Cienciano wrote: »
    Since when is going studs into a player not a red?
    Reactions from players makes no difference.

you make it sound like he attacked him.

he went up to control the ball, didn't see Arbeloa until the last second, and connected. he didn't even connect hard.

if you think that's a red, fine. i'm not arguing. as i said i think it's a sad day if that's a red.

what's wrong with just saying the ref got it wrong? as a non-United fan, it actually gives me more of a chuckle that there was controversy. i see no reason to try and justify a mad decision.

if it wasn't as mad as it was, i wouldn't get half the enjoyment over the next few days with my United supporting mates. bring on the controversy I say!

ha, Mourinho just said Arbeloa told him that he didn't think Nani saw him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,499 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

argosy2006 wrote: »
    nani-red-card.gif

Nani makes contact,then makes even more, why ?
    On second clip you see his knee bend he then pushes it out and into player again
    That in itself could have made it a red in ref's mind was no need to push his leg into player on purpose once initial contact was made.Nani then stays on ground, why? Sign of guilt ?.He stays down for ages for reasons I can't seem to see

I dont see any second contact. Its a natural reaction to straighten out leg when realise its going to come into contact with anything, moreso when not expecting it. It would also hurt at first, hence the staying down a few seconds. Arbeloa turning around is also just reactionary, its nothing to do with the force of impact.

And I dont even like Nani, so its rare to defend him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

There's only one Ibrahimovic, you don't simply pluralize Ibrahimovic.

the main issue is the fúcking superfluous apostrophes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Because his own knee has just hit his own chest?

SO what, How does that make one extend leg and push it into another player, did not look natural, looked sneaky and something I and everyone else would have expected him to get away with, but he did not this time. usual a player would get away with sneaky lil kicks and fouls like them.

• Advertisement

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Settled for van Persie??? Lof**kingL

Well is he the same quality as Ronaldo? No. Before Van Persie there was Rooney, before that it was Ronaldo. Tonight Ronaldo played for the opposition, tonight Ronaldo scored the winning goal, in Madrid Ronaldo scored the equaliser, Van Persie struggled over two legs to make much of an impression on the game. Settled for Van Persie might be a bit harsh. His performances and City's ineptitude has probably won Man Utd the Premier League this season but in Europe, on the biggest nights, he's failed to deliver. He failed to deliver for Arsenal against Barcelona at the Camp Nou and he failed over two legs to be the difference between Man Utd and Real Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

It was second part of that contact that looked nasty, Spun Arbeloa around way Nani pushed leg into player after he has seen him, that's deliberate and sneaky lil kick, And he showed his guilt by staying down for no reason

Agree. It's a natural reaction to try reduce impact on somebody when you realise you're going to kick them. The knee would go up like it appears he's about to do once he noticed he would collide with Arbeloa. But then there is a definite extension of the leg to push further into him in a kick like motion.

I don't care about whether it was a red or not, don't support any team in the sport either. But depending on the refs view and if he shared my judgement I can see how he deemed it a sending off.

Mushy wrote: »
    I dont see any second contact. Its a natural reaction to straighten out leg when realise its going to come into contact with anything, moreso when not expecting it. It would also hurt at first, hence the staying down a few seconds. Arbeloa turning around is also just reactionary, its nothing to do with the force of impact.

I can put my knee on my chest, its not a painful exercise , you make it sound like he's at breaking point, the push and extension of leg was to stop Arbeloa in his tracks and to pick up a yellow, but it was red, oops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Look at it this way if Arbeloa had gone in with his head there, Nani would have taken his head off. By any account that would be considered reckless and dangerous play. Just because Arbeloa didn't go in with his head does that mean that what Nani did wasn't reckless or dangerous?

Granted he was unfortunate and had his eyes on the ball but a player is still expected to control his body and not have his feet flying about at almost head height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Mushy wrote: »

It's natural to recline the leg to reduce impact. Not straighten it.

• Advertisement

Agree. It's not a natural reaction to try reduce impact on somebody when you realise you're going to kick them. The knee would go up like it appears he's about to do once he noticed he would collide with Arbeloa. But then there is a definite extension of the leg to push further into him in a kick like motion.

I don't care about whether it was a red or not, don't support any team in the sport either. But depending on the refs view and if he shared my judgement I can see how he deemed it a sending off.

Exactly, If ref saw that motion , that movement of the leg into Arbeloa after Nani see's him ,then we can all see how red came about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Well is he the same quality as Ronaldo? No. Before Van Persie there was Rooney, before that it was Ronaldo. Tonight Ronaldo played for the opposition, tonight Ronaldo scored the winning goal, in Madrid Ronaldo scored the equaliser, Van Persie struggled over two legs to make much of an impression on the game. Settled for Van Persie might be a bit harsh. His performances and City's ineptitude has probably won Man Utd the Premier League this season but in Europe, on the biggest nights, he's failed to deliver. He failed to deliver for Arsenal against Barcelona at the Camp Nou and he failed over two legs to be the difference between Man Utd and Real Madrid.
    Ronaldo was never going to stay, there's only one other player on the planet better than him. The others you mentioned were not really a viable option.
    van Persie is as good as was possible to get and has been a brilliant signing. It's unfortunate that this game has come in his poorest run since he joined. Apart from the miss in the first leg he was exceptional in that game.

I can put my knee on my chest, its not a painful exercise , you make it sound like he's at breaking point, the push and extension of leg was to stop Arbeloa in his tracks and to pick up a yellow, but it was red, oops

I never mentioned knee in his chest. Or breaking point. I just said its a natural reaction to sudden impact. Occurs when not expecting impact. Like Nani clearly wadn't. I dont even see the second contact, which would have just been an occurence of the reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

And what does your leg do if you're sent off balance in mid air?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I think you're really grasping for something here Argossy.

Upon impact its different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Because his own knee has just hit his own chest?

And why did his knee hit his own chest? Because his studs are pressed into Arbeloas ribs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Cienciano wrote: »
    And why did his knee hit his own chest? Because his studs are pressed into Arbeloas ribs :D

Because Arbeloa ran into him! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Your posts are idiotic, extension of a leg while off balance is pretty ****ing common.

There is no sneaky movement, no second movement nothing an opposition fan can cream himself over and point to in an attempt to justify the decision, even the Madrid players were not looking for a red for Christ sake.

Droolers gonna drool I guess

Look at it this way if Arbeloa had gone in with his head there, Nani would have taken his head off. By any account that would be considered reckless and dangerous play. Just because Arbeloa didn't go in with his head does that mean that what Nani did wasn't reckless or dangerous?

Granted he was unfortunate and had his eyes on the ball but a player is still expected to control his body and not have his feet flying about at almost head height.
    Should this be a red card on the off chance that your man could have had his head there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

SlickRic wrote: »
    the main issue is the fúcking superfluous apostrophes.

I think you can close the thread now, or burn it with petrol.

Ronaldo was never going to stay, there's only one other player on the planet better than him. The others you mentioned were not really a viable option.
    van Persie is as good as was possible to get and has been a brilliant signing. It's unfortunate that this game has come in his poorest run since he joined. Apart from the miss in the first leg he was exceptional in that game.

I disagree, I think there were other, potentially better options out there. While it was inevitable that Ronaldo would leave you might also say that it is telling that Ronaldo was so desperate to leave Man Utd to join Real Madrid.

I also think our standards of what constitutes "exceptional" differ quite significantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Great game... I'm gutted

Thought Nani should have gotten a yellow like Arbeloa did on 38mins vs Evra.

Very unlucky.

United will win go on and win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There were two pretty controversial incidents tonight.

As I said earlier when I seen the Nani one I thought to myself he could get a red there, not certain he would but knew he was deffo getting a card and thought it could be red.

The other one was Lopez punching Vidic. In that one I thought he got the ball the first time I seen it. Its clear he didn't get near the ball and if he had gotten the red card there you really couldn't complain although you rarely see a keeper get sent off in a situation like that.

I disagree, I think there were other, potentially better options out there. While it was inevitable that Ronaldo would leave you might also say that it is telling that Ronaldo was so desperate to leave Man Utd to join Real Madrid.

I also think our standards of what constitutes "exceptional" differ quite significantly.
    Are you serious? It's well known that it's the team he's always wanted to play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

There was just no need to show the red, no need at all. Funny as it was an all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Who are united playing next? Glad its not us anyways again till next season, i imagine theyll be very fired up for it

Edit: chelsea in the fa cup haha goodluck with that rafa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Discretion ........Ref did'nt use it at all

Are you serious? It's well known that it's the team he's always wanted to play for.

That's all well and good but really in the end it made Man Utd appear as a selling club. Anyway that Ronaldo debate is played out, my point was simply that Man Utd's main man doesn't measure up to the main man they previously had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Should this be a red card on the off chance that your man could have had his head there?

For the love of jaysus, seriously? Some of these comparisons are getting silly now, that's nothing like the Nani incident.

That's all well and good but really in the end it made Man Utd appear as a selling club. Anyway that Ronaldo debate is played out, my point was simply that Man Utd's main man doesn't measure up to the main man they previously had.

You would swear there is some shame in not measuring up to Ronaldo, unless your name is Lionel Messi you do not measure up to Ronnie, sorry to break it to you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

niallo27 wrote: »
    We should be talking about a wonder strike from modric as well. Some bend on the ball.

Agreed. The goal is actually bugging me now because it reminds me of some other well known goal where a guy cut across the edge of the box and then smashed it in off the post like that. I can't recall who though.

Arbeloa wins it on chest, not a problem, then reacts to that push of leg into him, all in space of one second, how i see it, Arbeloa was happy to play on but Nani fouled him by pushing leg into him after he see's Arbeloa , so Arbeloa goes down
    Look at Nani's eyes,, ball ball ball ooops Arbeloa wins it, pushes leg into him
    all there black and white, case closed

fullstop wrote: »
    For the love of jaysus, seriously? Some of these comparisons are getting silly now, that's nothing like the Nani incident.

The difference is with the opposition player, what Iniesta does is pretty similar to what Nani does tbf.

The opponent doesnt have the angle to get himself in the way v Iniesta though, (you can also be damn sure he would not have been sent off for it even if he had creased him)

kryogen wrote: »
    You would swear there is some shame in not measuring up to Ronaldo, unless your name is Lionel Messi you do not measure up to Ronnie, sorry to break it to you

But while I'm not saying I expected them to replace Ronaldo directly I think they could have done better in terms of landing a main man.

• Advertisement

Your point is flawed in that the main man they had is on a different level to anybody else available.
    A selling club? Because we sold a player for a world record fee, a player who gave an extra season when he wanted to leave for his dream club, you're coming across fairly clueless on the situation.

But while I'm not saying I expected them to replace Ronaldo directly I think they could have done better in terms of landing a main man.

like who?

Who do you think they could have brought in (3 years after Ronaldo left btw) to replace him?

Has RVP not had a good season? Has he not carried the team in the early part of the season when they were struggling big time?

Come off it, he has been a tremendous signing and unfortunately he has been poor tonight.

It happens

fullstop wrote: »

I never said it was :confused:
    Read my post and the one I was replying to before taking it upon yourself to assume what I'm getting at.

Your point is flawed in that the main man they had is on a different level to anybody else available.
    A selling club? Because we sold a player for a world record fee, a player who gave an extra season when he wanted to leave for his dream club, you're coming across fairly clueless on the situation.

Would Barcelona sell Messi? Unless his form rapidly declined (ala Ronaldinho) the answer is no. Would Barcelona sell Iniesta? barring a rapid decline in form, no. Would Real Madrid sell Ronaldo? Barring form or a political shift in the club, no.

The Ronaldo deal was different because it was a player almost at the very peak of his powers maneuvering a deal away from the club, despite the club not wanting to sell him, in short it was the player who wanted the deal, not the club. It's exactly the same thing that Man Utd have done to Spurs on many occasions, even if it does lead to overpaying for the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

UTD complaining about a refereeing decision.... is it Christmas time again or something.
    Showed their true class-less character with all that carry on from an ex-England captain at the end.
    So thats what its like to get a referee who isnt in the Fergie fan club and doesnt like being chased around the pitch by fellas in red shirts after every decision.

Same for Fergie more class-less carry on not fulfilling his media requirements.

So now when you see your kids playing football, diving like Ashley young, berating refs like rio and acting dis-respectful like Fergie ... you know where it comes from...

football was the big winner tonight.. oh that and my accumulator..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

Hate too feel like sucha winger but how many penalty decisions did the ref miss between bad challenges and handballs...I know raf def handled the ball but defo we could have had at least four if not five shouts for a peno

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Would Barcelona sell Messi? Unless his form rapidly declined (ala Ronaldinho) the answer is no. Would Barcelona sell Iniesta? barring a rapid decline in form, no. Would Real Madrid sell Ronaldo? Barring form or a political shift in the club, no.

The Ronaldo deal was different because it was a player almost at the very peak of his powers maneuvering a deal away from the club, despite the club not wanting to sell him, in short it was the player who wanted the deal, not the club. It's exactly the same thing that Man Utd have done to Spurs on many occasions, even if it does lead to overpaying for the player.

This post, more than any of the rest of them, tells me you are commenting without a clue of the situation. Before you continue to post rediculous comments, I suggest you read up on your subject matter.

kryogen wrote: »
    like who?

Who do you think they could have brought in (3 years after Ronaldo left btw) to replace him?

Has RVP not had a good season? Has he not carried the team in the early part of the season when they were struggling big time?

Come off it, he has been a tremendous signing and unfortunately he has been poor tonight.

It happens

Like I said, he's been very good for Man Utd. His performances and Man City's average season mean Man Utd will win the league. Personally I've never been a big fan of his, I think there are better strikers out there and there have been for a few years. For example Ibrahimovic has transferred around to a few clubs since Ronaldo left Man Utd. Edinson Cavani, Radamel Falcao and Luis Suarez also come to mind. Though that's assuming that the main man had to be a striker, afterall you still do have Rooney at the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I think it was a yellow because Nani didn't mean to cause harm but It wasn't that bad of a decision. The referee saw it the other way and made the call. It happens all the time. The way SKY are building it is completely OTT, you'd swear there was no contact at all, they're pushing the "we was robbed" agenda.

Also, Ferguson has been around the block a few times, a man of his experience and stature should be able to handle this a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

Controversy aside Diego Lopez played an absolute stormer in goal for madrid tonight, United really could have come out of there with a win even after the red card if not for some fine saves from him. He even saved a shot on the line with his crotch in the first half, kudos for that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

UTD complaining about a refereeing decision.... is it Christmas time again or something.
    Showed their true class-less character with all that carry on from an ex-England captain at the end.
    So thats what its like to get a referee who isnt in the Fergie fan club and doesnt like being chased around the pitch by fellas in red shirts after every decision.

So now when you see your kids playing football, diving like Ashley young, berating refs like rio and acting dis-respectful like Fergie ... you know where it comes from...

lol, some super stuff being posted tonight.

Those players are at their dream club, they don't want to leave. What is it you don't get?
    If Messi's dream was to play for AC Milan he wouldn't be signing massive long contracts with Barcelona and would get his way one way or the other.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    This post, more than any of the rest of them, tells me you are commenting without a clue of the situation. Before you continue to post rediculous comments, I suggest you read up on your subject matter.

Fair enough but I don't agree. Honestly, is there much of a difference between the Ronaldo to Madrid and the Berbatov to Man Utd deals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

FutureGuy wrote: »

lol, some super stuff being posted tonight.
    Thread genuinely has me dumber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

No, it's Christmas time for bitters and ABUs ;)
    ColeTrain wrote: »
    I think it was a yellow because Nani didn't mean to cause harm but It wasn't that bad of a decision. The referee saw it the other way and made the call. It happens all the time. The way SKY are building it is completely OTT, you'd swear there was no contact at all, they're pushing the "we was robbed" agenda.

Also, Ferguson has been around the block a few times, a man of his experience and stature should be able to handle this a bit better.

I reckon Fergie was planning on retiring when he wins another CL. That's why he's taking it so bad. He's taking it so bad as this was a real chance.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement