Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Real Madrid Match Thread. 5/3/2013 K.O 19.45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

764dak wrote: »
    I thought I was the only person that thought van Persie was offside. I thought the linesman would have put up his flag when van Persie got the ball.

The majority of others were too busy arguing semantics to notice I'd say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

I reckon the sending off wouldn't have been a sending off in the premier league. I wasn't surprised to see it in that competition. Rio could be described as one of the biggest bellends in football for his reaction at the final whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Bollocks. That's a complete pile of sh1te. These match threads are great for weeding out the clueless and sh1tstirrers.
    The ironing is wonderful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

A Tackle: When someone else has the ball and you're trying to get it off them. Not going for a 50:50 ball. The rules are very vague on the latter which is why things like overhead kicks in crowded goal mouths are allowed, and goalkeepers flying through the air like Superman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

FatherTed wrote: »
    What do you guys think of this red card? Very similar to Nani's right?

red.well done ref

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Well Done Madrid & no surprise red card is the talking point but that's football!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

red.well done ref

It was overturned by the Fa , wasn't it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Sorry mate but I don't believe in that nonsense. Wasn't Van Persie an Arsenal fan? His dream surely couldn't have been betraying his boyhood club? Anyway this entire argument really is semantics and really rather pointless.

At the end of the day the game changer was in the Madrid kit tonight. Man Utd's current star player missed quite a few chances over two legs and never had the effect on a game that a really great player should and that's a big reason why Madrid are through and Man Utd are not.
    Ronaldo missed a few himself tonight, and his goal was a tap in. Your judgement on van persie is harsh, he in my opinion is just below messi and ronaldo. You are not going to score every chance you get and none of his were really clear cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Arberolas thigh high challenge on Nani (or maybe it was Wellbeck) was probably more deserving of a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Arberolas thigh high challenge on Nani (or maybe it was Wellbeck) was probably more deserving of a red.

Evra, his touch before hand was so bad you wouldnt see it on a Sunday morning by a hungover 30 odd year old.

• Advertisement

Jax Teller wrote: »
    It was overturned by the Fa , wasn't it ?

it was indeed

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Idiot of a ref. Ruined a perfectly good game of football. Watched it with my mate from Madrid who said it was a yellow himself. Before anybody says, "its the rules" etc. why didn't Arbeloa get sent off for his challenge on Evra in the first half? Should the Madrid goalkeeper get sent off for punching Vidic in the penalty area? They should have going by the rules of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

cournioni wrote: »
    Idiot of a ref. Ruined a perfectly good game of football. Watched it with my mate from Madrid who said it was a yellow himself. Before anybody says, "its the rules" etc. why didn't Arbeloa get sent off for his challenge on Evra in the first half? Should the Madrid goalkeeper get sent off for punching Vidic in the penalty area? They should have going by the rules of the game.

Anything to say about reals perfectly good disallowed goal or rafael handling it on the line.I await your reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

it was indeed

You think the Ref was right ? And the Fa wrong for overturning ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Utd played well, unlucky this time out. The Modric goal was a peach, one he's replicated for Tottenham.

Anything to say about reals perfectly good disallowed goal or rafael handling it on the line.I await your reply.
    I thought he was lucky to get away with it, as was Ramos on several occasions in the Madrid penalty area. Your point?

Jax Teller wrote: »
    You think the Ref was right ? And the Fa wrong for overturning ?

correct

I thought he was lucky to get away with it, as was Ramos on several occasions in the Madrid penalty area. Your point?

That real should have had a goal allowed and a penalty,Ramos should have been a penalty you say?it was hit straight at him,rafaels was blatant.

My point is the ref didn't just screw united over.
    It evened itself out in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That real should have had a goal allowed and a penalty,Ramos should have been a penalty you say?it was hit straight at him,rafaels was blatant.

It's amazing you missed the Penalty United should of had too.

But continue to be one sided away.

Looking forward to Chelsea game at weekend now.

It's amazing you missed the Penalty United should of had too.

But continue to be one sided away.

Looking forward to Chelsea game at weekend now.

Which penalty was this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I agreed with the referees decision on the disallowed goal. Ramos was all over Van Persie in true Ramos fashion.

I think Rafael made a genuine attempt to play the ball. The ball came off his arm from 6 inches away. Its one of those situations were you're either lucky or unlucky with no middle ground, and Rafael was lucky.

Your last sentence is altogether complete bollocks.

Which penalty was this?

Where Vidic was taken out by keeper.

There was also one in stoppage time that was a stone waller for me, I think it was on Evra.

I guess people aren't talking about it as much because realistically it wouldn't have changed who went through, but I thought the ref would have used the opportunity to give United something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Or Rafael being pulled down.

There was also one in stoppage time that was a stone waller for me, I think it was on Evra.

I guess people aren't talking about it as much because realistically it wouldn't have changed who went through, but I thought the ref would have used the opportunity to give United something.

That actually was stone waller too.

I actually forgot that one myself I admit.

Maybe we are just not desperate to even things out ha.

Rafaels was blatant?! Rubbish.

Ramos could have given away three penalties last night. You cannot deny that most of the major decisions last night went Real's way.

Jelle1880 wrote: »

Or Rafael being pulled down.

Seriously are you claiming that was a penalty?I give up,serious clutching at straws.

Seriously are you claiming that was a penalty?I give up,serious clutching at straws.
    You should.

Pot kettle.

Anyway roll on Chelsea in cup.

Could be a cracker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I would have thought their other shout had a lot more weight behind it, 2nd half Ramos took down Rafael (I think?) at the edge of the box?

One person has given you a lifeline Jack by saying that Rafael should have had a penalty in the first half - I can say it definitely wasn't a penalty and I'd imagine most United fans would agree. The referee got one decision right - slow clap.

maximoose wrote: »

I would have thought their other shout had a lot more weight behind it, 2nd half Ramos took down Rafael (I think?) at the edge of the box?

Vodic was taken out. Anybody neutral will see that.

I'm not going dwell on it. I'm not going blame ref. these things happen in football.

Win some lose some.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Arent United supposed to get all the big decisions in OT allegedly. That myth well and truly blown out of the water. The one crumb of comfort ABUs have had during Uniteds domination has now evaporated.

One person has given you a lifeline Jack by saying that Rafael should have had a penalty in the first half - I can say it definitely wasn't a penalty and I'd imagine most United fans would agree. The referee got one decision right - slow clap.

He also got a sending off correct.

If a studs up career threatening tackle 6 inches off the ground is a red, why should we think a studs up 4 foot off the floor not be a red. He was inches off studding him in the face.Is it enough to say he wasn't looking.Im not so sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

iDave wrote: »
    Arent United supposed to get all the big decisions in OT allegedly. That myth well and truly blown out of the water. The one crumb of comfort ABUs have had during Uniteds domination has now evaporated.

Classic! Need a hug bro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭ronjo

My opinion on the big decisions bearing in mind I havent seen them all many times except the red

1. Red Card : wrong decision, yellow would have done but can see why the ref might have given it.
    2. Disallowed goal : wrong decision but also can see why he might have disallowed it
    3. Rafael handball : correct decision, it was hit at him from too close
    4. Vidic penalty : correct decision, Vidic got there fractionally ahead of him and ball was gone.... never gonna give that.

Some people are saying Van Persie was offside for United goal but I didnt see that.

All just my opinions though

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

I think red was a fair decision. Could have gone either way but it was certainly dangerous play from Nani albeit unintentionally.
    Great stuff from Modric when he came on though, hope this rejuvenates his Real career!

If a studs up career threatening tackle 6 inches off the ground is a red, why should we think a studs up 4 foot off the floor not be a red. He was inches off studding him in the face.Is it enough to say he wasn't looking.Im not so sure.

Im not going to repeat what everyone has already said but against the text in bold I'll put it to you like this:

David DeGea made a big lunge on Saturday to prevent a wayward Jonny Evans backpass going out of play. It would have involved him raising his foot the same height off the ground as Nani. Should DeGea have been sent off because he didnt look behind him to see if Grant Holt was coming?

You could look back through the match last night and find 15-20 cases of high feet, loose elbows and bad tackles which would all warrant a red card as per your logic.

Why wasn't Arbeloa sent off in the first half? He had his studs up.

Also, if you punch somebody in the face, by the laws of the game, you should be sent off. Should the Real Madrid keeper have been sent off?

I thought you were "giving up".

Why wasn't Arbeloa sent off in the first half? He had his studs up.

Also, if you punch somebody in the face, by the laws of the game, you should be sent off. Should the Real Madrid keeper have been sent off?

I thought you were "giving up".

Well yes then they should have been sent off.

There is a lot of people in this thread who agree it was a sending off,could it be there might just be something in it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Having sat down and read the United v Real Madrid match thread i would be of the opinion that the Liverpool fans are the ones who need to put their laptops down. This is the Champions League Liverpool fans. A mystical magical tournament which you'll see as a tiny dot in the distance if you squint really really hard. So Liverpool fans....stop squinting and put the laptops down ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

So Liverpool fans....stop squinting and put the laptops down ;)

there are plenty of Liverpool, as well as at least one City fan, who believe the ref got it wrong.

i also know Utd fans who felt the decision wasn't crazy.

people might just have different opinions.

i'd fancy a lot of the Utd fans in here slagging off opposing fans with different views would've been able to see the referees point of view if it had been Kaka with that same challenge on Rafael. i'm sure many would have talked about the foot being high, and Kaka being reckless.

everyone's affected by a little bias.

no one set of fans has the monopoly on bias.

and no one set of fans has the monopoly on fairness and objectivity either.

It's probably just fair to say that the officials were very poor for both teams.

It happens in so many big matches and will continue to do so as long as it's left entirely up to human decision making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Stupid sending off, there was no malice or intent to hurt the player.

Perhaps by the letter of the law it was a high & dangerous tackle but common sense from the Ref should prevail.

Yellow at worst, perhaps not even that, maybe a stern bollocking from the Ref.

But ridiculous red card and I'm a Leeds fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

But ridiculous red card and I'm a Leeds fan.

So most likely a red card then :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

SlickRic wrote: »
    there are plenty of Liverpool, as well as at least one City fan, who believe the ref got it wrong.

i also know Utd fans who felt the decision wasn't crazy.

people might just have different opinions.

i'd fancy a lot of the Utd fans in here slagging off opposing fans with different views would've been able to see the referees point of view if it had been Kaka with that same challenge on Rafael. i'm sure many would have talked about the foot being high, and Kaka being reckless.

everyone's affected by a little bias.

no one set of fans has the monopoly on bias.

and no one set of fans has the monopoly on fairness and objectivity either.

Never said anyone had a monopoly but United fans being told to put their laptops down on a United match thread is stupid. Especially as it is fans of other clubs (and particularly one club) who seems to be most of the population. I can understand their ire though given that title number 20 is on its way. And at a canter

I'd actually like to thank the Liverpool fans for being with us at this difficult time. There's plenty here on boards, and I have loads coming up to me in person or on Facebook looking to talk about the game.

If there's anyone with experience in handling grave disappointment its them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Never said anyone had a monopoly but United fans being told to put their laptops down on a United match thread is stupid. Especially as it is fans of other clubs (and particularly one club) who seems to be most of the population. I can understand their ire though given that title number 20 is on its way. And at a canter

You realise that the bollox you're posting is as stupid as the posts you're whinging about right?

If you do then please, carry on. The irony is funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Just a thought, if Nani got up straight away and didn't roll around in 'agony' does anyone think the ref would have just flashed him a yellow?

Some people are saying the ref spoke to the linesman about it while Nani was on the floor for a minute or two which could have influenced his decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Just a thought, if Nani got up straight away and didn't roll around in 'agony' does anyone think the ref would have just flashed him a yellow?

Some people are saying the ref spoke to the linesman about it while Nani was on the floor for a minute or two which could have influenced his decision.

After watching it a second time I firmly believe this. It actually makes him look guilty of meaning it or at least knowing it was bad. Not that it was a red anyways.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement