Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Real Madrid Match Thread. 5/3/2013 K.O 19.45

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Rooney10 wrote: »
    If Jones really isn't fit:

DDG
    RDS
    Rio
    Evans
    Evra
    Clev
    HardToBelieveItsNotScholes
    Nani
    Rooney
    Young
    RVP

Lindegaard, Kagawa, Valencia, Chico, Welbeck, Smalling, Anderson.

Tonight is just a bonus imho. It's not the end of the world if we do go out to an excellent side. Priority should be the EPL.

Ferguson has confirmed Giggs will play a part - but I like that first 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Surely kagawa will play? After chicos hat trick a while ago didnt he say something like if you score a hat trick you start the next game or something along those lines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭bassy

then don't play for "YOUR COUNTRY"

Or am i missing something? I always thought when you play international football you are indeed playing for "YOUR COUNTRY"

Playing for he great great great granny's country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

klose wrote: »
    Surely kagawa will play? After chicos hat trick a while ago didnt he say something like if you score a hat trick you start the next game or something along those lines?

Perhaps in the league but with the game that it is and with Utd holding a very slight advantage I`d be surprised if he started.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Looked these up for the gambling forum, but thought I'd post them here as well...

United's Home Form this season: 19 wins, 2 losses, 0 draws

Real's Away Form this season: 9 wins, 7 losses, 4 draws

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Any suggestions for somewhere good to watch this in Dublin City?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Keep hearing that United will go on the attack more so tonight than last week but I don't see why they shouldn't keep to what they did in the first leg (most notably in the entire second half). Madrid found it hard to get through and were kept to long range attempts - no real clear cut chances. I think if United play a more attacking game then the tie is Madrid's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Not, not, not Sinnotts.

Woolshed or Living Room are decent options.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Woolshed, but get in very early as it will be packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭SilverFox261

Gonna go with this for tonights team;

DDG
    RDS
    Rio
    Evans
    Evra
    Rooney
    Carrick
    Nani
    Kagawa
    Welbeck
    RVP

Have a feeling with Jones out that the next hardest worker we have to provide cover on Ronaldo is Rooney so i think he might get put back in midfield and sacrificed (again) for this. I don't think Cleverley or Anderson have the discipline to stick to Ronaldo for 90 minutes.

Kagawa and Welbeck can also be changed based on whether Fergie wants Welbeck doing a man marking job on Alonso again or not. I'd rather put Valencia in instead of Nani just because you know he would track back more, but his form is so poor that i dont think he will be decisive enough on the counter for United to take advantage of whatever gaps Real leave when pressing forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Looked these up for the gambling forum, but thought I'd post them here as well...

that cant be right, only 9 games away from madrid so far?

that cant be right, only 9 games away from madrid so far?

that's 20 games

9 winns
    7 losses
    4 draws

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I think there are mindgames going on regarding Jones.

Yeah that should really throw Mourinho and Co off.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭slievenamon fella

would be alot more confident if jones is actually fit and fergie is only playin mind games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

MUTV is free tonight (and until March 17th) for anyone with a Sky subscription, they have match build up from 18:00 which might be of interest as TV3 and ITV are only starting coverage at 19:30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I'd be gutted for Rooney if he's asked to do a man marking job on Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I'd be gutted if we didn't go through, that's all that matters really, doing the job at hand, who cares if it's not pretty, just get it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Woolshed, but get in very early as it will be packed.

+1 for the Woolshed and getting there early. Would avoid The Living Room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Assuming that Fergie is telling the truth about Jones, I have a feeling Giggs will start in the middle.

Yeah, I tihnk Giggs played in the "holding" role previously this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Missed the first leg so I'm delighted this tie is still very open, cannot fupping wait. Hopefully this is going to be an absolute belter of a match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

99% sure he won't be. Not really sure why so many people suggested it in the Utd thread, I don't see that as an option that Ferguson would consider at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

These stats might mean something if they played in similar leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,665 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

2 - 1 to MU, hoping for a cracking match

• Advertisement

jacool wrote: »
    These stats might mean something if they played in similar leagues.

uniteds league is more difficult to be consistent in :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

uniteds league is more difficult to be consistent in :confused:

According to who?

According to who?

me, clearly, you jus quoted the post... I mean really.

also, good few others, check the numbers for travelling fans in La Liga vs EPL and that alone makes a big difference to how easy it is to travel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Rooney will start.

Giggs will not.

if either of these things don't happen, then Ferguson, IMO, is probably overthinking things.

get your best XI out there, just don't leave too much space for a counter attack from Madrid, and that is Utd's best shot at winning this game.

I hope Giggs doesn't start though I'd have no problem if he comes on at some stage. I'm thinking:

De Gea,

Rafael. Ferdinand. Evans. Evra.

Cleverley. Carrick.

Rooney. Kagawa

Wellbeck V Persie

That'll look wrong as I'm on the phone but hopefully you get the idea. Rooney and Kagawa are the wide men though the front four are extremely interchangeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I am surprised more people aren't proposing Chris Smalling for the Jones role tonight, instead of Wayne Rooney. Rooney would be a horrible fit for that type of role, while Smalling is not only defensively minded but also seems to be athletic enough to be able to pull it off.

Am I missing something, is Smalling injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Cant wait to watch this as a neutral, Id say United win 3-2 tonight, anyone think Madrid will surprise us all and throw Casillas in?

Raf32 wrote: »
    Cant wait to watch this as a neutral, Id say United win 3-2 tonight, anyone think Madrid will surprise us all and throw Casillas in?

The shorter the goalkeeper they play the better, we all know how rubbish older short goalkeepers are... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Raf32 wrote: »

I thought he was definetly ruled out with his hand injury no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

SlickRic wrote: »
    Rooney will start.

Giggs will not.

if either of these things don't happen, then Ferguson, IMO, is probably overthinking things.

get your best XI out there, just don't leave too much space for a counter attack from Madrid, and that is Utd's best shot at winning this game.

Completely agree. Giggs will only come on if needed.

Any talk of Rooney "man marking" Ronaldo is ridiculous, he's not able for it, and SAF will not request him to do so.

Ferdinand, Rafael & Evra should have enough in the toolbox to keep him quiet, and if they don't, it's going to be a bad night for Manu.

I predict a 3-1 to Manu.

GavRedKing wrote: »

I thought he was definetly ruled out with his hand injury no?

Mourinho ruled him out I think at a press conference, don't have the link though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A8LJAYmCYAAwU0U.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Sacramento wrote: »
    Mourinho ruled him out I think at a press conference, don't have the link though.

Sorry just saw he was in squad so presumed he could play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

If Nani starts I think this could be the game that wins him the level of contract he's looking for.

markc1184 wrote: »
    If Nani starts I think this could be the game that wins him the level of contract he's looking for.

I think Kagawa deserves the game, so unless Nani gets the right side (don't see that happening) I think he'll get a run out if things aren't working out

• Advertisement

markc1184 wrote: »

zerks wrote: »
    A8LJAYmCYAAwU0U.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFrvWlvSMD4muZjMk_L_T6tjNhM1y1fkGnZ7xZdE79DYn0wJc_MA

:pac:

Will ya have the same sentiment if Utd go out to a Ronaldo goal or two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFrvWlvSMD4muZjMk_L_T6tjNhM1y1fkGnZ7xZdE79DYn0wJc_MA

:pac:

Will ya have the same sentiment if Utd go out to a Ronaldo goal or two?
    Why not? That's his job for Madrid, can't forget everything he's done for United when he played for us just because he is doing what he does best for a different team (if that happens).

Of course we'd rather he didn't do that... :pac:

Nailz wrote: »
    Why not? That's his job for Madrid, can't forget everything he's done for United when he played for us just because he is doing what he does best for a different team (if that happens).

Of course we'd rather he didn't do that... :pac:

Of course not, that wont help ye're chances at all, the longer Real dont score the better for Utd although I reckon both teams will score tonight.

So hypothetically speaking if he had joined City, for instance, he'd still get the same love?

Just wondering that is all. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

Should be a cracker. No doubt Real will have been buoyed by their comfortable defeats of an-out-of form Barca and will take all the beating here. Ronaldo looks to be in the form of his life and should be the difference between the sides and as good as RVP has been he is a long way off the class of Ronaldo. 3-1 Madrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Of course not, that wont help ye're chances at all, the longer Real dont score the better for Utd although I reckon both teams will score tonight.

So hypothetically speaking if he had joined City, for instance, he'd still get the same love?

Haha, I'll answer your hypothetical question with a no, personally speaking of course.

Can't wait for this match, I couldn't sleep with the excitement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

Very worried about the form Ronaldo is in, that 30 minute performance at the weekend was impressive and shows how influential he can be. Jones was the one who shackled him in Madrid, I'm not sure we have another player with the same dogged style to do the same for 90+ minutes.

If we go out to defend we will be eaten alive, they are too good offensively and all it takes is a few free kicks and it could be game over. Hopefully Nani was being rested at the weekend as he could give them all kinds of problems compared to Valencia or Young who are easier to contain.

I would go with: DDG, Rafael, Ferdinand, Evans, Evra, Carrick, Cleverley, Nani, Rooney, Kagawa, RVP

RVP to redeem himself with the winning goal, 3-2 United..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I don't have a good feeling about the night at all. If Utd keep it tight and don't go for it, they have a chance, similar to the defeat of Barca over 2 legs many moons ago. I can see an early Madrid goal though.

A club the size of Utd shouldn't be fearing Madrid the way they have been. Utd should be favourites for this tie with an away goal in the bag. But they're rightly not. SAF should be building a squad to compete with the likes of Madrid, not just running away with the league. Sounds ungrateful but a club the size of Utd should be a match for Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I know you're not in the competition anymore but if ye had played Galatasaray in the knockout stages I'm absolutely positive Drogba would get a great reception and even if he scored and knocked you out, I'm sure your fans would still love him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

Renn wrote: »

That is mad, Nani ruined an amazing goal from Ronaldo!!

Was that a friendly,, or was it the 2010 world cup second round?? Video uploaded November 2010?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement