Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Real Madrid Match Thread. 5/3/2013 K.O 19.45

1262728293032»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Postes by eyescreamcone 10 months ago....
    "I loved when he referred to the Man U manager as Mr. Ferguson :D instead of all the brown noses who genuflect to Sir Alex By the way everybody uses some form of zonal marking at set pieces. Otherwise, the forwards would bring the backs for a walk outside the box and the corner would be placed bet"

Good god. Why was I even replying to that guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Was dissapointed United didn't snap him up tbh. He looks phenomenal.

less than half of Giggs' age.

again...fúck.

that's a compliment to both he and Giggs btw.

SlickRic wrote: »
    less than half of Giggs' age.

again...fúck.

that's a compliment to both he and Giggs btw.
    I actually thought he looked a bit dodgy at times but I wasn't exactly following his every move. Wasn't he poor positionally for the Nani cross that brought about the goal? Could be wrong here. Still, at 19, he looks an incredible talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    23379_10200645347645857_370545362_n.jpg

The laws are ****ed. The issue is people want to cherry pick when it annoys them. In that regard, no sympathy.

Where is the ball in the Mario one? I don't recall the incident but that looks far worse then Nani's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I actually thought he looked a bit dodgy at times but I wasn't exactly following his every move. Wasn't he poor positionally for the Nani cross that brought about the goal? Could be wrong here. Still, at 19, he looks an incredible talent.

yeah, he was a yard off in his positioning, but it was marginal, especially since Nani had just won a ball that I'm sure he expected his colleague to mop up, so he got caught a little on the hop.

his recovery pace, as mentioned, is just frightening though, and his timing of the last ditch tackle is mad. ice in his veins by the look of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Wasn't he poor positionally for the Nani cross that brought about the goal? Could be wrong here. Still, at 19, he looks an incredible talent.

He gave the ball away, kicked it at Nani's shins instead of booting it out for a corner and then Nani crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

:pac:
    @BreakingNewsUK: Manchester United fan calls police to report 'crime' of Nani being sent off against Real Madrid - @nottspolice http://bit.ly/Xq5mEK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Re:Varane . Fcuk Zidane anyway he was supposedly set to sign for United before he stepped in .

Xavi6 wrote: »
    :pac:

Lolz, he must either be a bit special or was on a wind-up gone wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Lol what a nutter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

It was probably a City fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Will Rio be cited for his behaviour towards the ref after the final whistle?? I fear he could be in hot water when the dust settles.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

In real time, I don't blame the ref for sending him off. I think if people were being honest, some Man U fans especially, you's were very worried the moment said incident had happened and feared a red card whether you thought it was genuinely the right or wrong call on first viewing. I'd have been if I were in your shoes. There wasn't intent, but you have to be weary if your foot is that high. Playing with match sticks and you risk being burnt type scenario.

Was obviously more focused on the Dortmund game till they went 3-0 up, but from the bits n bobs I saw of the game, looked like United were just edging it. United had their chances in both legs, with 10 and with 11 men on the pitch.

As I said in the Dortmund matchthread, a part of me wanted to see United go through if it meant Dortmund playing them and Shinji returning. But, I for one am certainly not going to lose sleep over it. Just have to settle for hopefully knocking out Real instead :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Blatter wrote: »
    Must be a prank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Does not take genius to say that is prank.

• Advertisement

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    In real time, I don't blame the ref for sending him off. I think if people were being honest, some Man U fans especially, you's were very worried the moment said incident had happened and feared a red card whether you thought it was genuinely the right or wrong call on first viewing. I'd have been if I were in your shoes. There wasn't intent, but you have to be weary if your foot is that high. Playing with match sticks and you risk being burnt type scenario.

Was obviously more focused on the Dortmund game till they went 3-0 up, but from the bits n bobs I saw of the game, looked like United were just edging it. United had their chances in both legs, with 10 and with 11 men on the pitch.

As I said in the Dortmund matchthread, a part of me wanted to see United go through if it meant Dortmund playing them and Shinji returning. But, I for one am certainly not going to lose sleep over it. Just have to settle for hopefully knocking out Real instead :p

I was genuinely shocked to see the red card. Was not expecting it at all. Was in the pub and the whole place erupted with United fans going mental and the opposition fans laughing (which was fair enough).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Blatter wrote: »

Nah, too hard to dial when you're pulling yourself with both hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Vanolder wrote: »
    Will Rio be cited for his behaviour towards the ref after the final whistle?? I fear he could be in hot water when the dust settles.

He has to be surely. He was a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Quite the opposite actually. I didn't even conceive that there could have been a red card until it came out, as did pretty much every player on the pitch and everyone on the sideline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

jose060313.jpg

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »

Oh I dunno, maybe because the free out was given as he was in an offside position? Maybe have a look back at the match.

Exactly

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I was genuinely shocked to see the red card. Was not expecting it at all. Was in the pub and the whole place erupted with United fans going mental and the opposition fans laughing (which was fair enough).

Fair enough if you really thought that at the time. Initial reaction of 90% (being kind perhaps) of fans of x club fans whoever that maybe is to say it was never a red card to whatever incident initially. I'm just saying that I can understand why it was given is all. Talking to a good mate of mine this morning who was at the game, he was saying from early on in the game the ref looked to be a bit stop-start, card happy. Just needed an excuse, he got it and took it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I hate **** like this, was it a red card, wasnt it??? The ref isnt to blame as he has a split second to make a decision. UEFA and FIFA are to blame. Video replays should be brought in. It would effectively end controversy like this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

602059_503806546344932_524787283_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

thorbarry wrote: »
    I hate **** like this, was it a red card, wasnt it??? The ref isnt to blame as he has a split second to make a decision. UEFA and FIFA are to blame. Video replays should be brought in. It would effectively end controversy like this

In this instance - would it?

We've all seen a replay 50 times and cant agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

sorry but even if nani wasnt sent off real would have beaten united i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

sorry but even if nani wasnt sent off real would have beaten united i think

Only thing you should be sorry about is that your opinion couldn't be validated.

A fantastic match between two giants of football ruined by a small man.

Giruilla wrote: »
    Only thing you should be sorry about is that your opinion couldn't be validated.

A fantastic match between two giants of football ruined by a small man.

I don't think it was ruined. I enjoyed the last 30 mins. Utd could still have won it. Vidic and Rooney should have scored and utd should have had a pen in the last min.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

niallo27 wrote: »
    I don't think it was ruined. I enjoyed the last 30 mins. Utd could still have won it. Vidic and Rooney should have scored and utd should have had a pen in the last min.

I think you have forgotten the 5 chances Real had at the end (Ronaldo could have had at least a hat-trick), not to mention the Rafael handball at 1-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭blackwhite

blackwhite wrote: »
    A late tackle resulting in a clip on the ankle is a free.

Why is a late punch hitting someone in the face never given as a foul??

Posted this just before half time last night.... seems twice as valid after the Nani decision.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Keep up the good and impartial moderating Futuregay.
    You seem to be well met with the whingeing, crying Mr. Ferguson and his noble hound Rio.

There was a big outcry last week when Mr. Benitez had his "rant".
    How is it when Mr. Ferguson loses the rag, as per last night (again) there is no equal media spotlight???

Really though, Mr. Ferguson was a pity last night he was like a guy running an AUL 2B team.
    Zero class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Keep up the good and impartial moderating Futuregay.
    You seem to be well met with the whingeing, crying Mr. Ferguson and his noble hound Rio.

There was a big outcry last week when Mr. Benitez had his "rant".
    How is it when Mr. Ferguson loses the rag, as per last night (again) there is no equal media spotlight???

Really though, Mr. Ferguson was a pity last night he was like a guy running an AUL 2B team.
    Zero class!

knockout blow there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Bloody hell,this argument is never gonna end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I think if people were being honest, some Man U fans especially, you's were very worried the moment said incident had happened and feared a red card whether you thought it was genuinely the right or wrong call on first viewing. I'd have been if I were in your shoes. There wasn't intent, but you have to be weary if your foot is that high. Playing with match sticks and you risk being burnt type scenario.

Gary Neville: "Been going to OT since age of 5 and I've never seen the whole ground as in disbelief as they were last night at a decision. The crowd actually weren't angry / weren't shouting they were just open mouthed and in shock!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Thread has gone pathetic. And it's the usual WUM suspects as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Gary Neville: "Been going to OT since age of 5 and I've never seen the whole ground as in disbelief as they were last night at a decision. The crowd actually weren't angry / weren't shouting they were just open mouthed and in shock!"

Feel sorry for anyone who was at the game.. they're the ones who were truly robbed.

On a positive note, Welbeck was immense last night.. if he learns to finish better he could be a very special player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

You could actually hear how quiet it went in the stadium when the red card was shown. I was so stunned myself it took a few seconds before the enjoyment of what was about to happen sunk in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Eyescreamcone why you acting the Ninja?

That travesty post about United at OT and Howard Webb etc isnt there for me look at and feel better about myself. Its been a tough day man - would appreciate the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

More than likely pointed out already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

From SSN

"UEFA open disciplinary proceedings against Manchester United over Nanis red card and failure to fulfill media obligations"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

The biggest headline today is, Ferguson was too distraught to do the post match interview, lol. He lost, that was all that got him and his immaturity at 71 is beyond belief. Perhaps he was really afraid of the questions, why Rooney was not played from the start? Why the tactics were to play for a draw with no plan B against a team like Madrid? Why his strikers failed to score, and why he did not go all out for the win against a team like Madrid, who would have won against 11 men IMO, anyway. Madrid needed only one goal to level the tie even after going down one nil from the own goal and against any team the chances of doing that were very high under any circumstances.

Nani is unpredictable as a player and attitude and that is what Ferguson got last night,...... so why play him in such a big match. All those questions that Ferguson was unable to take because a referee at the bottle to send off a player at OT. That would never happen or rarely in the PL. He showed himself up last night him and Ferdinand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    The biggest headline today is, Ferguson was too distraught to do the post match interview, lol. He lost, that was all that got him and his immaturity at 71 is beyond belief. Perhaps he was really afraid of the questions, why Rooney was not played from the start? Why the tactics were to play for a draw with no plan B against a team like Madrid? Why his strikers failed to score, and why he did not go all out for the win against a team like Madrid, who would have won against 11 men IMO, anyway. Madrid needed only one goal to level the tie even after going down one nil from the own goal and against any team the chances of doing that were very high under any circumstances.

Nani is unpredictable as a player and attitude and that is what Ferguson got last night,...... so why play him in such a big match. All those questions that Ferguson was unable to take because a referee at the bottle to send off a player at OT. That would never happen or rarely in the PL. He showed himself up last night him and Ferdinand.
    This your first game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

One person to go way down in my books last night was Jose Mourinho.

Jeez the ass licking was cringeworthy and its so bleeding obvious he wants the UTD job after Fergie.No problem with that but talk about going out on a limb.

Didn't think he was like that at all, and if the Chelsea fans think he is going back to the Bridge then I'm sorry but not by the sounds of his brown tonguing last night.

Madrid fans must be so proud of their manger.

Liam O wrote: »
    This your first game?

Your right. Ferguson has always been a bad loser. Why is this surprising after this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Dont think it was an awful decision or any of the ridiculous claims being bandied about here. It was a bit harsh at the most, but Nani took a chance jumping with his foot so high, and it was actually ridiculously high btw. I think United have let themselves down with their reaction too, Ferdinand has always had this stupidly childish side to him and it showed last night, wnd this is coming from someone who prefers if United wins the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Leiva wrote: »

Jeez the ass licking was cringeworthy and its so bleeding obvious he wants the UTD job after Fergie.No problem with that but talk about going out on a limb.

Didn't think he was like that at all, and if the Chelsea fans think he is going back to the Bridge then I'm sorry but not by the sounds of his brown tonguing last night.

Ah Maureen's always known when to play the appropriate role for the given occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

From SSN

"UEFA open disciplinary proceedings against Manchester United over Nanis red card and failure to fulfill media obligations"

No mention of Ferdinand? Obviously wasn't as OTT as Drogba a few years back but I would still expect something to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Maybe United should get in touch with the FAI and try to get a replay??

A dubious refereeing decision that has been seen multiple times this season!! INJUSTICE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Leiva wrote: »

I thought Jose was perfect last night. He's already said he won't return to Chelsea. He can't criticise the ref directly so he just said United were the better team. Master of the mind games

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It is time to let this thread go. Every point has been argued several times over at this stage.

Thread closed, we must all move on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement