Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flights to NYC

Options
  • 04-03-2013 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

So I'm planning to go to NYC in October. I see Aer Lingus are doing a sale now for travelling in the next few months. Any idea if there is likely to be another sale or cheaper flights on another airline going to be picked up later in the year? Is there any benefit to booking now or are there likely to be bargains in the intervening period?

Cheers for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No one can tell you for certain. The only thing you can do is purchase at a price you're happy to pay and don't look back.

There is always a risk of another sale, but the general way of airlines is the earlier you book, the cheaper it is..because the cheap seats sell quicker. Now, if (in a few months) they find that more expensive fares aren't selling, then they might reduce prices. If they are selling, however, you're stuck with paying more than you could have done.

So, you pay your money or you take your chances ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭dohboy

Thanks for that. How expensive are they likely to go? Right now I'm looking at playing about €1,250 direct return for two, which seems a bit pricey... But tbh, I'm not sure. Maybe that's going rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

How expensive? More than that ;)

That said seems high for two, but then again, it depends on the dates too. Have you checked all the airlines (Aer Lingus, Delta, American and United) that serve NY from Dublin? [American's flights only start in June]. If you're booking now for this summer, it's quite possible that the cheaper seats are gone. You could also look at indirect flights, but personally for a trip to NYC from Ireland I would prefer direct unless the savings are massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭dohboy

In the end I waited and booked today with Aer Lingus and got two returns for €850. Grand job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Prices vary due to demand.

Jan and Feb are probably a quarter (its that much) of the prices of july and Aug.

They'll start rising in march and peak in the summer. Autumn is a really good time to go after the US school holidays are over and the prices start to drop again but before the weather has turned.

Jan and feb are probably the most common ex-pat "going home" times when weather isnt a priority.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Flying from Boston or NYC to home direct, Aer Lingus is by far the cheapest.

Although saying that I'm going home for a week in July and i booked with United Airlines and got my return flights $170 cheaper than Aer Lingus...its the exact same flight and airplane as Aer Lingus!!!

Anybody know why if i fly with United it is much cheaper than Aer Lingus? Do i not get the scone and tea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement