Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Bowie Album

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Haven't had a chance to listen to the full album yet. I've listened to the two singles, Where Are We Now? and The Stars, probably 20+ times each. Both of them sound better and better every time I hear them. Really looking forward to the album, hoping this isn't the curtain call which a lot of people seem to be picking up from WAWN's lyrics/video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

Can't wait to give this a listen. It's been a long time in the making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

When it was announced that he was releasing a new album there was such a hoo-ha you'd think John Lennon, George Harrison and John Bonham had risen from the dead to join the still living members of The Beatles and Led Zeppelin to record a new album. Is it that big a deal? It's not like his last few albums have been ground-breaking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭squonk

It's not like this is sounding all too ground breaking either. I've heard two songs so far and both are, as far as I'm concerned, pure crap. There are a lot of people going around playing the Emperor's New Clothes game I think. It was dull, miserable muck and just middling music. His best days are long behind him and he should have continued enjoying his retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

squonk wrote: »
    It's not like this is sounding all too ground breaking either. I've heard two songs so far and both are, as far as I'm concerned, pure crap. There are a lot of people going around playing the Emperor's New Clothes game I think. It was dull, miserable muck and just middling music. His best days are long behind him and he should have continued enjoying his retirement.

It's far from groundbreaking, but personally, I really like it. Two singles are among my favourites from the album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Who said the album was groundbreaking? Bowie certainly didn't.

@ Kaiser, you mentioned Lennon, Harrison & Bonham. David Bowie is of the few artists alive that holds the same stature in the world of music as those guys.

He is genuinely one of the all time greats and when it looked like he had all but retired, he delivers a quality album.

You dont like it, fine.

@ Squonk, Bowie obviously isn't your thing but Liam O'Maonlai is, good luck to you.

I tell you this. Enjoy the likes of David Bowie while you can, because when the likes of him and his peers do eventually retire, there is nothing, absolutley nothing coming behind them even remotely on the same level in terms of the quality that generation delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Achtung Maybe

I am a Bowie fan so am looking forward to new album, that said my expectations are tempered by his more recent albums which have IMHO been mediocre affairs. Nonetheless a mediocre Bowie is still better than many modern acts IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Heard one of the singles in a taxi the other day, can't remember the title. It was quite pleasant, as I recall, although I didn't have the luxury of paying full attention.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Sarky wrote: »
    Heard one of the singles in a taxi the other day, can't remember the title. It was quite pleasant, as I recall, although I didn't have the luxury of paying full attention.

Yeah. Some inoffensive warblings about Potsdamer Platz. I wasn't awful impressed tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

About one in five reviews on amazon.co.uk are giving it between 1 and 3 stars- a lot appear to be disappointed longterm Bowie "fans".

It doesn't sound unlike Heathen, which is similarly rated but was released with less fanfare.
    I was hoping for something much different sounding, especially with Visconti at the helm.
    It's certainly not unpleasant but it's not ground breaking. I guess Bowie doesn't do reinvention like he used to but I suppose he didn't promise this either, so the disapointed fans are probably just wanting something Bowie has either no interest or ability to produce at this point.

Personally I'm quite happy with it, but not wowed.

• Advertisement

On further investigation I think it's pretty bad tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Im glad some people aren't impressed by it.

If he tours, there'll be less people to trample over when the stampede starts for tickets.

poundhound wrote: »
    Im glad some people aren't impressed by it.

If he tours, there'll be less people to trample over when the stampede starts for tickets.

I don't think that'll be the case.

Anyone wanting to see Bowie now wouldn't give a balls about what his recent albums sound like.

Advertisement