Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I....

• 04-03-2013 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

My front wheel is stiff. This I assume is down to needing new pads. Inspired by the "Today I did... " thread I'd like to have a shot at putting in new pads myself.

Is this as easy as the YouTube videos make it look?
    Is this a correct diagnosis? - brake fluid is just at the indicator line in the little glass thingy.
    For a Honda CBF250 -where do I go about getting the correct pads?
    Do I need to do anything with brake fluid? I can't see that I would but under what circumstances do you change brake fluid?

Anyway, thanks for any advice

The Shane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Get someone close to help ya. Guesswork and brakes don't go together.

Might be a sticky piston causing it. But I doubt its the pads themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Your brakes are just binding, from lack of use. The brake pistons are full of dirt and cannot retract back enough to allow the wheel to turn free.
    Clean the pistons and prise back the pads a little.
    Do not attempt to work on brakes unless you know what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

The Shane wrote: »
    My front wheel is stiff. This I assume is down to needing new pads. Inspired by the "Today I did... " thread I'd like to have a shot at putting in new pads myself.....

i read this as -

'I have a headache. This I assume is down to a brain tumor. Inspired by House + E.R. I'd like to have a shot at brain surgery myself.......'

get someone to do it for you.

imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Syllabus wrote: »
    i read this as - 'I have a headache. This I assume is down to a brain tumor. Inspired by House + E.R. I'd like to have a shot at brain surgery myself.......' get someone to do it for you. imo

How dare the OP be born not knowing everything

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Shane thats an excellent YT clip 'Cantdecide' posted, once you have the tools you really won't go too far wrong.

As for getting parts, if its only pads and maybe brake cleaner then your local bike shop should be able to supply these, and if you ask nicely most will show you how to drop the pads out of the calipers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Syllabus wrote: »
    i read this as -

'I have a headache. This I assume is down to a brain tumor. Inspired by House + E.R. I'd like to have a shot at brain surgery myself.......'

get someone to do it for you.

imo

I'd say just get someone who knows what they are doing to help you along. It's the kinda routine maintenance he should learn how to do, you can't go running to the garage or a mate every time you need a brake change or your chain tightened.

That video is great though, gonna have to give my own brakes a clean the next decent day. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I'd say just get someone who knows what they are doing to help you along. It's the kinda routine maintenance he should learn how to do, you can't go running to the garage or a mate every time you need a brake change or your chain tightened.

That video is great though, gonna have to give my own brakes a clean the next decent day. :)

Thats exactly what i do :o

cantdecide wrote: »
    How dare the OP be born not knowing everything

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

jesus wept

.......... It's the kinda routine maintenance he should learn how to do, you can't go running to the garage or a mate every time you need a brake change or your chain tightened.......... :)

the chap wants to do his own work - fair enough

he diagnoses a binding wheel as brake pads:eek: and wants to know how hard he cant expect it to be to do the job

he hasnt the first clue but wants to start his learning on THE MOST IMPORTANT piece of safety equipment on the bike:eek::eek::eek:

as is the norm around here the PC brigade come out saying 'well done fella. you keep your money away from those nasty mechanics. Sure you can do anything once you read it on a forum first:rolleyes:'

this fella is going to be driving this bike after hes been at it - you do realise that?

if this chap goes at the brakes himself there will be an accident of some sort.

i'm all for people doing their own bits and pieces but working on the safety aspects of the bike with no exp is not wise

imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

OP, get a medium sized screwdriver and gently press the pads in just a fraction of a millimetre - should be easy to identify the pad and press the two of them back just a gheehair. Now spin the wheel and decide if it is easier as a result of the pads being pushed back.

No? Is there any noise to suggest the bearings are on the way out? Anything rubbing anywhere?

Yes. Cool - probably pads alright - get a brass brush, Scotchbrite or other mild abrasive and some brake cleaner. Remove the pins that hold the caliper in place, swing it out and remove the pads. Check for even wear on them - if badly uneven there might be an issue with the mounting pins or anti-rattle shims (post pics for fast opinion).

Next, clean around the pistons where they stick out of their dust seals (the piston is the roundy metal bit pressing on the back of the pads) and press them back into the caliper.

Fit new pads or stick the old pads back in if they are within the wear specification and remount the caliper. Exercise the brake to make sure the pads are back in contact with the disc before riding anywhere.

Good luck!

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭The Shane

Many thanks for all the advice.

Pistons were proper manky. Spent ages getting them clean and working them in and out to free them up. Got some assistance from a knowledgeable mate so I'm happy with the job and unduly proud of myself. Took much longer than the YouTube clip, though to be fair the clip didn't include getting tired and having a few little breaks.

Anyway cheers and expect more questions, the thing I like about bikes is learning to do this stuff.

The Shane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

... just a gheehair.
    That and lovely expressions like this, haven't heard it in ages! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The Shane wrote: »
    Many thanks for all the advice.

Pistons were proper manky. Spent ages getting them clean and working them in and out to free them up. Got some assistance from a knowledgeable mate so I'm happy with the job and unduly proud of myself. Took much longer than the YouTube clip, though to be fair the clip didn't include getting tired and having a few little breaks.

Anyway cheers and expect more questions, the thing I like about bikes is learning to do this stuff.

The Shane

Just make sure you take it easy on the brakes for the first few km. They'll still be bedded in, but better safe than sorry.

I'm about to do the same to my front Caliper right now, though I don't like the look of the cold :pac:

Advertisement