Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 3 Episode 12 - "Clear" [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Well we gotta assume those walkers have been in that bar for the bones of a year and not escaped. He'd be stupid to attempt to clear it. Narrow entrance, about a dozen walkers, he'd have to open the door lure them out and pick them off, if it went wrong he'd be toast. Leave them in there, if they escape (somehow) they come right on to his fortifications. Unlike Cuba.

I'd still clear it. Morgan had some very inventive ideas with the, I dunno what you'd call them, punji barrels and rats and birds in cages as bait. He could have set some up outside the bar and skewered them.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

One thing sort-of bothered me... I had the impression that they had moved quite a distance out from where they started at this point. Maybe it's just because I don't know the local geography around Atlanta, but how were they suddenly relatively close to Rick's home town and yet he didn't really seem to know that the prison or Woodbury were where they are? It seems like they went to Rick's town, hung around a few hours and left, getting back to the prison in a single day. I guess it's possible that they overnighted it there and back (to make it a much greater and more believable distance) but that seems too dangerous for them to risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

My biggest issue with this episode is that it should have happened around a year ago. We finally get to meet Michonne who has been nothing but dreadful up till this point. She has been with the group for months. Rick obviously trusts her since he makes this trip with her and his son, but how were we supposed to know Rick trusted her? He has told her she's out as soon as this/that and she doesn't even react. There has been next to nothing to develop her character.

Great that its finally happened but long overdue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Yakuza wrote: »
    I thought the backpacker got run over by another car, I must check it out again on a larger screen, after I sleep :)
    I assumed he got ripped apart by a group of walkers.
    Which is about what he deserved after running around with loud clanking metal and shouting his head off. :pac: He would have got the whole group killed with his stupidity. Rick and co realised this immediately which is why they left him by the side of the road. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Best part of the episode was when Rick told Carl to "Watch The Wire" :pac:

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Best part of the episode was when Rick told Carl to "Watch The Wire" :pac:

Or when he told Michonne to look out for booby traps and immediately made to step on the welcome mat. It's like he's never seen Home Alone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Grimebox wrote: »
    My biggest issue with this episode is that it should have happened around a year ago. We finally get to meet Michonne who has been nothing but dreadful up till this point. She has been with the group for months. Rick obviously trusts her since he makes this trip with her and his son, but how were we supposed to know Rick trusted her? He has told her she's out as soon as this/that and she doesn't even react. There has been next to nothing to develop her character.

Rick says in the episode that he didn't trust her but would prefer to have her with him than leave her at the prison with the rest of the group. Thats why at the end Carl tells rick she is one of them and rick gives her the keys showing how he now after getting the all clear from Carl at the end does now trust her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I assumed he got ripped apart by a group of walkers.
    Which is about what he deserved after running around with loud clanking metal and shouting his head off. :pac: He would have got the whole group killed with his stupidity. Rick and co realised this immediately which is why they left him by the side of the road. :cool:

Yeah, that's probably more likely to have happened. I was watching on a small device last night and looked like he had been smooshed under a car, but looking again, I'm not so sure.

As for Rick et al not taking him in, I don't think they even thought about it. I'd probably do the same, given their experience and their situation.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Rick says in the episode that he didn't trust her but would prefer to have her with him than leave her at the prison with the rest of the group. Thats why at the end Carl tells rick she is one of them and rick gives her the keys showing how he now after getting the all clear from Carl at the end does now trust her.

Ha I think I know the bit you are talking about. I briefly zoned out before they got in the car and missed some dialogue. I knew that sounded important.

My issue is this should have happened wayyyy sooner. The whole time she was at the prison did nobody try and engage her in conversation? I'm glad we are at this point now but it took way to long for her character to... well become an actual character. I said to myself I wouldn't come to this thread and berate the show and here I am :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

In terms of the show's timeline, Michonne has only been at the prison about 2 weeks....

In terms of the show's timeline, Michonne has only been at the prison about 2 weeks....

Really? Ok, ignore me then if you haven't been already

It's the same thing that happened last year. The whole of season 2 was set over 2 weeks but felt like 2 years.

Its hard to know sometimes with TV shows. I just finished watching house of cards and there can be up to months between episodes

That's the thing though; most tv shows do set their arcs over a number of months. We're used to it that way. TWD goes so slowly that we always feel we should see more progress than we do. It's a little frustrating cos the group have essentially only been in the prison a month (at a push) and, if the trends of the last 2 seasons continue, they'll move on from the prison at the end of the season. I think the whole arc has been pretty underused...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ha I think I know the bit you are talking about. I briefly zoned out before they got in the car and missed some dialogue. I knew that sounded important.

My issue is this should have happened wayyyy sooner. The whole time she was at the prison did nobody try and engage her in conversation? I'm glad we are at this point now but it took way to long for her character to... well become an actual character. I said to myself I wouldn't come to this thread and berate the show and here I am :o

Agree with you there. It's a pity they have left it so late to get her talking because she is actually a decent actress when she gets a chance to talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Wonderful episode, probably the single best 43 minutes the show has ever produced.

Morgan, Michonne finally coming into her own, Rick, Carl. It was a beautiful chamber piece episode that moved the show away from the monotony the main storyline was in danger of becoming and advanced all the characters' arcs.

That episode could have been a short film without any previous back story and it could still work brilliantly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Really enjoyed that ep, cheered me up after the utd result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Really enjoyed that ep, cheered me up after the utd result.

Now if only Morgan could pick off that moron of a ref while he's clearing we'd all sleep better!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You might be confusing it with Andrea. She was with Michonne for about 8 months before they found Woodbury (there's about an 8 month gap between seasons 2 and 3 if I remember correctly). But Michonne has only known the prison group for a week or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

One thing sort-of bothered me... I had the impression that they had moved quite a distance out from where they started at this point. Maybe it's just because I don't know the local geography around Atlanta, but how were they suddenly relatively close to Rick's home town and yet he didn't really seem to know that the prison or Woodbury were where they are? It seems like they went to Rick's town, hung around a few hours and left, getting back to the prison in a single day. I guess it's possible that they overnighted it there and back (to make it a much greater and more believable distance) but that seems too dangerous for them to risk.

mate in work has the same gripe...don't have an answer except for writers liberty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Great episode, poor Morgan, what a way to end up. As someone has noted, its difficult to do unhinged and still retain sympathy but he did it.

The stark reality of post apocalyptic walker world shown with the hiker. At this stage, if you didnt have a group, or your group had all died, it would be very difficult to get with another group.

I do have a few inconsistency gripes, minor but it would be easy stuff to get right.

The hiker - he lasted this long yet he had jangly stuff on his rucksack and got killed running down the road? Just not believable.

The photograph - when Rick first met Morgan in Season 1 and Morgan explained the situation to him, Rick pointed out that Lori had clearly had time to get out because the family photos were gone. At what point have they lost their old gear? Why would Carl be saying that the photo in the bar was the only photo left when Lori had actually packed their photos initially.

Ricks old town - why would Rick not know about the prison or Woodbury as geographical locations if they were so close to his hometown. Why would they have tried to hole up in the prison if they knew they were so close to Ricks hometown where he would know the place inside out and they could have holed up in the police station which had (or so he thought) guns?

^^All of Lori's photos would have been lost in the fire/evacuation of Hershel's farm.

^^All of Lori's photos would have been lost in the fire/evacuation of Hershel's farm.

Why? There were only there a couple of weeks, they escaped in their vehicles - surely they hadnt "unpacked" - why would they have?

Great episode, poor Morgan, what a way to end up. As someone has noted, its difficult to do unhinged and still retain sympathy but he did it.

The stark reality of post apocalyptic walker world shown with the hiker. At this stage, if you didnt have a group, or your group had all died, it would be very difficult to get with another group.

I do have a few inconsistency gripes, minor but it would be easy stuff to get right.

The hiker - he lasted this long yet he had jangly stuff on his rucksack and got killed running down the road? Just not believable.

The photograph - when Rick first met Morgan in Season 1 and Morgan explained the situation to him, Rick pointed out that Lori had clearly had time to get out because the family photos were gone. At what point have they lost their old gear? Why would Carl be saying that the photo in the bar was the only photo left when Lori had actually packed their photos initially.

Ricks old town - why would Rick not know about the prison or Woodbury as geographical locations if they were so close to his hometown. Why would they have tried to hole up in the prison if they knew they were so close to Ricks hometown where he would know the place inside out and they could have holed up in the police station which had (or so he thought) guns?

The hiker - We don't know what his story was or how long he'd been out there. It's possible he was part of a group and became the last one left. In that way, his situation would be kinda similar to Morgan. Morgan was alone, but Rick wanted to help him because he knew him and knew what he'd been through. The backpacker however, Rick was content to ignore because he didn't know him. It shows how cold and detached everyone now is to everything outside of their group or people they knew in the past.

The photograph - It's likely they had to leave everything behind at Hershel's farm when it was overrun and they just never went back. A large area like that and the amount of walkers that were there in the last episode of Season 2 means it'd be too dangerous to try and get through again. At least with the prison, it was more enclosed meaning they could work their way through in stages (clear one area, seal it off, open next area, clear it etc). Farm would be too open a space where they could be attacked from all angles.

Rick's old town - We don't know how far or how close they were to each other, and how long they'd been driving. Even if Rick's old town was just 4 hours from the Prison making it a one-day trip (if dawn was at 7, get there by 11, maybe 2 hours max in the town with Morgan, 5 hour drive back, they'd be back by 5pm), I know that I don't know the locations of any prison 2 hours from my house, let alone 4 hours. Even with Rick being a sheriff, it's still a bit far for him to know it was there.

Remember, Rick left the town to find his family in Atlanta. After that they tried to find the place with the cure. Then because they lost Sophia after that, they ended up on Herschel's farm. After all that, they likely wouldn't have risked journeying back to Rick's old town. They had enough weapons and ammo at the time, likely whatever they found in new places they searched. Rick already knew his old town wasn't really safe. That's why everyone left it in the first place. He only went back in this episode out of necessity. He knew there were guns and ammo in the police station which he could get, and he knew the town had been pretty much completely deserted in the beginning, so they decided to try there.

I dont dispute that its possible to come up with explanations to explain apparent inconsistencies, but tbh, the inconsistencies shouldnt be there in the first place.

It would have been the work of a couple of seconds a few episodes ago to have someone, Lori, Carl, Rick to mention theyd lost all the photos after Hershels. I can think of a way they didnt just as easily as someone can think of a way they did. Its in light of the fact that it was mentioned at all in season 1 that Lori had the pics that it seems inconsistent to me now that they are just gone with no mention of it.

The hiker - yeah, there could be a variety of explanations, but it doesnt take away the immediate glaring inconsistency that for a guy who lived as long in this world (either hiding or with a group), its pretty silly to be all jangly.

Ricks town - well, seems odd to me, as a police officer that Rick didnt know about the prison reasonably close to his local area.

The stuff I have pointed out has been mentioned by others as well, its not major stuff, but these are the things that people do notice. I was equally as disbelieving about the helplessness of the group Merle and Daryl helped on the bridge - lasted this long and yet so helpless? Just doesnt gel.

Why? There were only there a couple of weeks, they escaped in their vehicles - surely they hadnt "unpacked" - why would they have?

There are a multitude of reasonable random occasions that could warrant leaving behind a box of photo's, occasions that wouldn't be interesting enough to leave in the show. She could have been in that pile up of cars leaving Atlanta for one and had to bail for obvious reasons. If something like was put in, I know I'd be complaining of a scene put in just to tell us one specific plot point.

There are a multitude of reasonable random occasions that could warrant leaving behind a box of photo's, occasions that wouldn't be interesting enough to leave in the show. She could have been in that pile up of cars leaving Atlanta for one and had to bail for obvious reasons. If something like was put in, I know I'd be complaining of a scene put in just to tell us one specific plot point.

meh, its also just as reasonable that there were some pics among their clothes or other belongings.

Penn wrote: »
    Rick's old town - We don't know how far or how close they were to each other, and how long they'd been driving. Even if Rick's old town was just 4 hours from the Prison making it a one-day trip (if dawn was at 7, get there by 11, maybe 2 hours max in the town with Morgan, 5 hour drive back, they'd be back by 5pm), I know that I don't know the locations of any prison 2 hours from my house, let alone 4 hours. Even with Rick being a sheriff, it's still a bit far for him to know it was there.

I don't know.

You may not know where a 4-hour away prison is but a sheriff definitely would. It's his job to know the area inside out and I imagine he would be making trips to nearby correctional facilities the odd time. It doesn't bother me at all though to be honest though. It didn't occur to me at the time

The hiker - yeah, there could be a variety of explanations, but it doesnt take away the immediate glaring inconsistency that for a guy who lived as long in this world (either hiding or with a group), its pretty silly to be all jangly.

Ricks town - well, seems odd to me, as a police officer that Rick didnt know about the prison reasonably close to his local area.

The stuff I have pointed out has been mentioned by others as well, its not major stuff, but these are the things that people do notice. I was equally as disbelieving about the helplessness of the group Merle and Daryl helped on the bridge - lasted this long and yet so helpless? Just doesnt gel.

The guy wasn't really that jangly until he saw Rick's car, when he started to run and try to get their attention. Walking by himself, his stuff wouldn't have made that much noise.

As for the people on the bridge, we don't know what caused them to lose control of the situation. Look at the Woodbury attack on the Prison. After The Governor left, Rick found himself surrounded and out of ammo, and only for Daryl and Merle, he might not have made it out. Same with the situation where T-Dog and Carol got attacked in the prison and T-Dog died. No matter how used to the walker threat you are, if you get taken by surprise they're still a real threat.
    I don't know.

You may not know where a 4-hour away prison is but a sheriff definitely would. It's his job to know the area inside out and I imagine he would be making trips to nearby correctional facilities the odd time. It doesn't bother me at all though to be honest though. It didn't occur to me at the time

But the prison they're in now might not have been the nearby one. Especially if it was 4 hours away. Plus, the city of Atlanta was pretty close to Rick's town. As Sheriff of the town, his dealings would likely have been in that area. The prison they're in now, we don't know where it is in relation to Rick's old town. Might be 4 hours away, might be two hours away. But seeing as how Rick didn't know about the prison, it's obvious that he never had any dealings with it previously.

I just think people are picking up on minor details which don't really matter. If everything was explained fully, it'd be a boring show filled with nothing but exposition. Some things simply don't need to be explained or answered because they're not important to the main story.

To be honest, it reminds me a lot about Lost. When it ended, people were complaining about "They didn't answer this, How did that happen" etc. But none of it actually mattered. Everything that needed to be answered or explained for the purposes of fulfilling each character's story, was answered and explained. Same here. Things about the backpacker, the picture, to be honest, they simply don't matter. We got an amazing story with some incredible acting in this week's episode, which can really serve as a turning point for a lot of the characters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Trivial stuff but Rick and Lori looked through the photo albums the day after Rick found Lori and Carl in season 1.

Just wondering why a poster above said Michonne was in the prison 2 weeks, what you basing that on?

Penn wrote: »
    I just think people are picking up on minor details which don't really matter. If everything was explained fully, it'd be a boring show filled with nothing but exposition. Some things simply don't need to be explained or answered because they're not important to the main story.

The problem is, if there is a lot of inconsistency, you lose your ability to suspend disbelief. Im not saying its happening right now, but over time all these little things build up.

I dont think its like Lost in that sense at all. Lost had totally weird stuff unexplained. It was a condition of Lost to accept really weird stuff starting from the plane crash.

Im talking about perfectly ordinary stuff like why a person months into a post apocalyptic world where noise attracts walkers would be carrying a heavy rucksack with lots of jangling stuff on it. Its not enough to say "we dont know his back story" or "it didnt jangle til he ran" - the point is, it didnt make sense. Even the fact the rucksack was heavy - how would he run to get away? Its just nonsensical.

And yes, it might be trivial to the individual storyline, but a lot of people noticed it because it clashes with our (the viewers) belief system about the world.

Im normally very easy going about stuff like this when a show is good, but recently there has been a lot of "that wouldnt happen" scenes - IMO.

That pretty much sums up how I feel about the entire show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Trivial stuff but Rick and Lori looked through the photo albums the day after Rick found Lori and Carl in season 1.

Just wondering why a poster above said Michonne was in the prison 2 weeks, what you basing that on?

I'd imagine he is basing it on the fact that each episode of walking dead seems to follow on directly from the last one rather then the undetermined amounts of time that would pass between episodes of say a procedural type show , as such the 12 episodes we've seen so far more then likely take place over a 12-14 day time frame imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Martyn1989 wrote: »

The photos may have been lost when the camp outside Atlanta got overrun. They had to leave pretty quickly and with less vehicles than they arrived.

Agree with others on the prison though, but with state lines etc in America it's possible if a little unlikely that Rick might not know the prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

The thing that gets me is the hiker was spotless, even his rucksack was clean :confused:
    I would say his death was suicide, he saw the car as his last chance and just gave up.

As an aside, did anyone notice when Rick threw the knife he was stabbed with on the ground it had no blood on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

The backpacker's role and story are only part of the episode to show how much humanity Rick and his group have lost. Which it did quite well in my opinion!

Had the shooter in the town not been the man who rescued Rick at the start of season 1 he would have killed him to obtain that rifle no questions.

Also a quick look at Atlanta (as his home towns name is not mentioned?) on google maps: Theres 4 states all within 2-4hrs drive from Atlanta.

Google also gives:
    There are 1821 prisons nationwide, 102 are federal prisons and 1719 are state.
    415 of those 1821 are actually privately owned prisons.

A regional small town sheriff would definitely not be aware of every prison in surrounding states.

Woodbury is actually a town near Atlanta - Woodbury, GA 30293
    and has 6 prisons that are all relatively close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Im talking about perfectly ordinary stuff like why a person months into a post apocalyptic world where noise attracts walkers would be carrying a heavy rucksack with lots of jangling stuff on it. Its not enough to say "we dont know his back story" or "it didnt jangle til he ran" - the point is, it didnt make sense. Even the fact the rucksack was heavy - how would he run to get away? Its just nonsensical.

And yes, it might be trivial to the individual storyline, but a lot of people noticed it because it clashes with our (the viewers) belief system about the world.

I thought it was obvious that the dude's n00bness was emphasised - his clean rucksack, neatly packaged and supplied, his stupid shouting and jangling, and his general lack of wherewithal. The point being shown is that this guy has been holed up somewhere until now and hasn't had to "survive" in the same way that our group has. For whatever reason, he's out on his arse now, having no experience of living it rough in the world, and this is why Rick, Michonne and Carl drive past with no qualms - he's walker fodder, and absolutely no use to them.

Makes perfect sense to me.

A Neurotic wrote: »
    The point being shown is that this guy has been holed up somewhere until now and hasn't had to "survive" in the same way that our group has.

Cant say thats something that jumped out at me. Its been over a year now, I cant imagine how someone could not know whats going on in the world that long.

• Advertisement

Cant say thats something that jumped out at me. Its been over a year now, I cant imagine how someone could not know whats going on in the world that long.

Maybe he suffered from a gunshot wound and was in a coma until now? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

I only got a chance to watch this weeks episode today, and I really liked it! There was some amazing acting (I really hope Morgan makes a return, he's a great character, and a phenomenal actor! :) ) and we actually saw a side to Michonne that wasn't silent and scowly! :D I was starting to worry that they'd wasted an amazing character but now I have hope that we're actually going to see the Michonne that all the fans of the comics have been waiting for!

I think the main reason that this season is so much better than the second is, even though it is still very slow moving in some places, we're actually getting some character development as opposed to noone doing anything against a non-existant and repetitive story (Shane does something erratic, Dale disapproves, Andrea's a wagon, Carl wanders off, Rick says something pragmatic, lather, rinse repeat...). We're actually every episode moves the story on a bit, and we're actually getting to know the main characters a bit more in depth now as well, which is great, it's far easier to get invested in a storyline when you have an insight into the characters...

With regards to the geography of the show, I don't think they moved very far over the course of the season... If you think about it, Rick got to Atlanta in less than a day on horse-back, the camp was within walking distance of Atlanta (remember the van got robbed and the ended up going back to camp on foot when the place got over-run...), the CDC was in Atlanta and they weren't far away when Sofia went missing and they ended up at Hershall's (again, within walking distance of where they were parked up...) and they had spent the last 8 months on the road going around in circles, so it's very believable that they would have been able to make a day trip to Rick's home town.
    It's also very believable that they waited until now to go back... On the 8 months between seasons 1 and 2 the majority were relatively untrained (especially at the start), Lori was increasingly pregnant and the place was pretty over run when Rick woke up from his coma. Bringing that many people into the town would essentially be ringing the dinner bell!

Maybe he suffered from a gunshot wound and was in a coma until now? :pac:

Maybe he was working in a secret government research lab and had enough supplies to last a year ;)

Would have been a nice touch if Rick had found another crisp Sherrifs uniform in the station, it would re-establish his authority (not just in the eyes of others but in his own mind) in preparation for his inevitable showdown with the guv. I know it's not important and maybe they avoided it (if even considered) because 'old-world' symbolism means nothing now, which would also make sense. Still, it was something that helped define the difference between him and Shane in season 1 and early season 2 and a major symbol of his sense of responsibility.

I don't know.

Take this down to a base level. A normal Guard or Super working in Kerry will likely have heard of Portlaoise and Mountjoy jails - but there's no guarantee he could find them map-less, no satnavs, no other stations to ring etc.

Take that to an American setting - if the prison is what up to 4/5 hours trip, that's anywhere between 200-300 miles away. He may well have known there is a prison somewhere in the vicinity but picking it out in a post-apocalyptic situation might not have been easy if he'd never been to it.
    The problem is, if there is a lot of inconsistency, you lose your ability to suspend disbelief. Im not saying its happening right now, but over time all these little things build up.

I dont think its like Lost in that sense at all. Lost had totally weird stuff unexplained. It was a condition of Lost to accept really weird stuff starting from the plane crash.

Im normally very easy going about stuff like this when a show is good, but recently there has been a lot of "that wouldnt happen" scenes - IMO.

I'd argue TWD requires more of a core suspension of disbelief than Lost - in some ways. When the basic conceit is that there are zombies roaming the land then that's a very large initial suspension of disbelief.

Anyway look if the gripes we have are over locations of prisons and things then we're doing fine. If and when they discover a magical cave of light to explain 6 years of weirdness it's time to start grumbling!

Anyway look if the gripes we have are over locations of prisons and things then we're doing fine. If and when they discover a magical cave of light to explain 6 years of weirdness it's time to start grumbling!

Imagine it was aliens the whole time a lá Indiana jones

• Advertisement

I'd argue TWD requires more of a core suspension of disbelief than Lost - in some ways. When the basic conceit is that there are zombies roaming the land then that's a very large initial suspension of disbelief.

One is a post apocalyptic world of walkers, the other is a supernatural world of ongoing weird stuff - the big difference is that you only find out the stuff in Lost slowly.

But yeah, point taken, if I believe the zombie apocalypse then its not a great stretch to believe the lone shiny hiker.

I remember in V (I mean original V, not the terrible green screen remake), when Diana was biting the head off a rat - it was obvious they used a fake Diana head and I was disgusted. My parents were like "but theres space ships over New York!!" but I found it hard to get past the fake head. You have to have internal coherence or it all falls apart. And as for the fake skin on the lizards........

One is a post apocalyptic world of walkers, the other is a supernatural world of ongoing weird stuff - the big difference is that you only find out the stuff in Lost slowly.

But yeah, point taken, if I believe the zombie apocalypse then its not a great stretch to believe the lone shiny hiker.

I remember in V (I mean original V, not the terrible green screen remake), when Diana was biting the head off a rat - it was obvious they used a fake Diana head and I was disgusted. My parents were like "but theres space ships over New York!!" but I found it hard to get past the fake head. You have to have internal coherence or it all falls apart. And as for the fake skin on the lizards........

internal logic is indeed important to any show. I just, personally, don't find that TWD has done anything horribly bad on that front. They haven't made much attempts to explain the virus, which is probably a good thing as that's where things could get messy.

I lived for a year in suburban San Diego, little place called Santee. I remember one day going to a town called Ramona with a girl who had lived in Santee her whole life. She hadn't a clue how to get to Ramona without satnav.

Distance from Santee to Ramona = 22 miles!!

But when you have umpteen towns in a 100 mile square radius in populated areas it's not exactly a stretch that people wouldn't know how to get to certain areas.

In Ireland i would say most of us would fancy our chances of navigating 22 miles in any direction to a town. But it's vastly different in America.

As for Rick being a sheriff, there's what 30 counties in Atlanta alone and 2,000 police across that area, it's not a massive stretch at all that he's had no dealings with a prison 300 miles away which probably has 10-15 counties and sheriffs in between!!

Not to mention there are 92 correctional facilities in Georgia!

In Ireland i would say most of us would fancy our chances of navigating 22 miles in any direction to a town. But it's vastly different in America.

Good point. I am exceptionally bad at familiarising myself with my surrounding areas. Its a miracle I've survived this long even without the zombie apocalypse

Good point. I am exceptionally bad at familiarising myself with my surrounding areas. Its a miracle I've survived this long even without the zombie apocalypse

Even in a Dublin context you would be amazed at the amount of people from say Balbriggan or Lusk who wouldn't have a clue how to get to Leixlip, or people from Lucan trying to get to Stepaside etc.

We are intrinsically insular creatures! We stick to where we know and like and if we have no reason to be somewhere else we generally don't go there!! So i'm totally fine with Rick not knowing the location of the prison :)

Even in a Dublin context you would be amazed at the amount of people from say Balbriggan or Lusk who wouldn't have a clue how to get to Leixlip, or people from Lucan trying to get to Stepaside etc.

We are intrinsically insular creatures! We stick to where we know and like and if we have no reason to be somewhere else we generally don't go there!! So i'm totally fine with Rick not knowing the location of the prison :)

I have lived in dublin for 25 years and I would have difficulty getting to all those places you mentioned. Lucan is the only one that I have a rough idea where it is :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement