Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beyond: Two Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Consensus seems to be labelling it as a poorly written, derivative slice of overreaching and misguided mediocrity where the successes are sullied by a myriad of failures.

Sounds exactly like a Quantic Dream game then.

I loved it, didn't think the writing was bad at all. Some parts are a bit odd and some of the pacing in the action scenes is a bit jumpy. Overall no real big plot holes like HR had. But I don't like to compare it to a movie it is much easier to make a 2 hour movie flow than a 10+ hour game with player interaction and different paths to travel.

Graphically it is spectacular best looking game this gen bar none. The acting is top notch. The story is pretty good (bar it gets a bit too super natural in parts for my liking). My biggest complaint is the controls if you don't use them in the one specific way that works can be frustrating ( IE moving from cover to cover & combat can be confusing)

I was glued to it for three days and I'll be replaying it to test the dual controls this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Consensus seems to be labelling it as a poorly written, derivative slice of overreaching and misguided mediocrity where the successes are sullied by a myriad of failures.

Sounds exactly like a Quantic Dream game then.

I would say there seems to be no consensus. These reviews are pretty mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Might have to cancel my Amazon pre order, 74% on metacritic, isn't exactly convincing me to part with 40 quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

i hope xtravision gets rental copys off this game if anyone knows or works in xtravision on here can you let us know if you will be getting them in for rentel be nice to know before making the trip on friday

mystic86 wrote: »
    Might have to cancel my Amazon pre order, 74% on metacritic, isn't exactly convincing me to part with 40 quid!

If you liked Heavy Rain I'd imagine the experience won't be too far off. I'm keeping my pre order for the steelbook case and soundtrack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

Theres 50 reviews on metacritic, 35 positive. I knew it'd get mixed reviews, a good few of em are quite high. Gamespot gave it 9/10.

For me, it's going to come down to whether I get wrapped up in the story or not.

I'd agree with that. What worries me is there seems to be a complete lack of actual gameplay. Hopefully this is exaggerated slightly from the negative reviews I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Hard to know what to make of these reviews, what exactly are they saying against Beyond that couldn't be said for Heavy Rain? I haven't seen too much other than dislike for the genre they're reviewing and personal grievances with David Cage as a script writer.
    There's been several highly positive reviews as well, haven't heard anything to make me believe that if you enjoyed Heavy Rain you wouldn't enjoy Beyond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Not reviewing it, but will be playing it tonight so I'll give my views on it tomorrow

GAMESPOT gave it a nine lol they go against everyone else when everybody has high scores of other games

now this has middleing scores gamespot then give it an editors choice LOL

i got a lend of heavy rain a while back and hated it but i grew to love it as the game went on it was an amazing game

but i dont think its the type of game id go back and play again i think its a one time experience i know people harp on about different ending and different ways to see cutscenes but that does not interest me really i always strive to get the best ending in any game the first time

• Advertisement

Again it's gotten pretty mixed reviews.

I generally have the same opinion of Rev3games and they gave it a 5/5

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If you liked Heavy rain it is very similar in gameplay style (or lack of gameplay how ever you actually see it) You control Jodie pretty much all the time and interact with your environment.

This is made up of walking/ running around the scene. Using R2 to interact with the "white dots" and the right stick within combat (R1 to shoot) and holding buttons in order to finish set pieces off.

Controlling Aiden is much more free roaming you can leave the scene and find out extra things by listening in to other conversations in other rooms. Interacting is limited to knocking stuff or controlling people.

The story is very different from HR. Very enjoyable and changes a lot, different locations, things to do, levels of intensity. You can be cleaning your room as 8 year old girl one flash back and in the next you are a trained killer leaving dozens of bodies in your wake.

The thing is if you are the kind of person who sits there moaning about the writing and picking everything apart you prob won't enjoy it (but then again you prob don't enjoy much) but if you are the kind of person that gets engrossed in a decent adventure you will no doubt really enjoy it.

I don't understand why people want everything to be the same and fit their narrow idea of what a game is. These are normally the same people who slate the COD and BF's of this world for not being innovative. This game innovates and still they are not happy because it is too different.

So what, it doesn't have the traditional "game" feel and is more like and interactive CGI experience! it is enjoyable.

If you liked Heavy rain it is very similar in gameplay style (or lack of gameplay how ever you actually see it) You control Jodie pretty much all the time and interact with your environment.

This is made up of walking/ running around the scene. Using R2 to interact with the "white dots" and the right stick within combat (R1 to shoot) and holding buttons in order to finish set pieces off.

Controlling Aiden is much more free roaming you can leave the scene and find out extra things by listening in to other conversations in other rooms. Interacting is limited to knocking stuff or controlling people.

The story is very different from HR. Very enjoyable and changes a lot, different locations, things to do, levels of intensity. You can be cleaning your room as 8 year old girl one flash back and in the next you are a trained killer leaving dozens of bodies in your wake.

The thing is if you are the kind of person who sits there moaning about the writing and picking everything apart you prob won't enjoy it (but then again you prob don't enjoy much) but if you are the kind of person that gets engrossed in a decent adventure you will no doubt really enjoy it.

I don't understand why people want everything to be the same and fit their narrow idea of what a game is. These are normally the same people who slate the COD and BF's of this world for not being innovative. This game innovates and still they are not happy because it is too different.

So what, it doesn't have the traditional "game" feel and is more like and interactive CGI experience! it is enjoyable.

would anyone else like a game like this but that lasts maybe 3hours and is sold for 20-25euros so its like an actual movie but your controlling the characters

that could move these type of things into serious movie style games
    imagine a horror game like this or a slasher halloween or scream:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

biggebruv wrote: »
    would anyone else like a game like this but that lasts maybe 3hours and is sold for 20-25euros so its like an actual movie but your controlling the characters

that could move these type of things into serious movie style games
    imagine a horror game like this or a slasher halloween or scream:D

Sure isn't that what Telltale are doing (and doing well)

To do it with retail games would be tricky.
    You'd have more customers buying it because it's cheap, but then slating it because it's only 2/3 hours! It would be a no-win situation (and wrongly so)

I enjoyed Fahrenheit, right up until it went crazy!
    Heavy Rain was a wonderfully atmospheric experience that reached a little too far with it's story. It would have been a near perfect gaming experience if not for some major cock-ups in the writing department!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

tok9 wrote: »
    I generally have the same opinion of Rev3games and they gave it a 5/5

To be fair now I don't like Tara as a reviewer or journalist and only Adam Sessler at Rev3 seems to know his stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

As retr0 just said , i too dont trust tara as a journalist nor reviewer

i simply cannot agree with a journalist who thinks people like shadow of the colossus because of nostalgia

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

SmurfX wrote: »
    Hard to know what to make of these reviews, what exactly are they saying against Beyond that couldn't be said for Heavy Rain? I haven't seen too much other than dislike for the genre they're reviewing and personal grievances with David Cage as a script writer.

Disliking a creator isn't a grievance, it's an opinion. I don't go to Michael Bay films anymore because I think he's a **** filmmaker, he hasn't personally wronged me or anything.

I was reading a comment on a review today where the poster complained "the writer doesn't like David Cage so therefore someone else should have reviewed it". Wuh? A review doesn't exist to be an affirmation of greatness from a fan - it's one individuals opinion, and when well argued is every bit as valid as anyone convincingly gushing about it.

It's vital there are a range of responses to different games out there. I wholly respect anyone who can articulate why they liked this or any other game, but just because someone hasn't liked Cage's previous work does not invalidate or negate their ability to comment on Beyond - if anything, it makes their response even more fascinating to see whether they believe the man has delivered on his promises or is just turning the wheel (if not actively regressing). Cage's critics are vital for sensible discourse, as are his supporters.

I must object to the suggestions made in these two paragraphs.

Firstly, when someone makes statements like “We need to forget about storytelling rules — antagonists, pacing, conflict, etc…are very old words of a very old language" they damn well better be able to back those claims up. Criticising the writing in a game from a creator who constantly makes bold claims about the potential of narrative in gaming is not nitpicking or moaning - it's giving as good as he ****ing gets. In my experience and/or opinion, Cage is a farcically awful writer who cannot tell a story without hilariously naff contrivances, cliches, suspect characterisation and - in Heavy Rain - straight-up lying to and awkwardly withholding vital information from the audience player. He's neither a good film-maker or interactive storyteller. His games are built on the foundation of story and writing, and while we can admire the technical achievement, good performances and even the occasional sequences that actually work really well, the reality remains that if he cannot deliver on his bold, antagonistic promises that the whole house of cards comes toppling down. Also, while I'd consider myself a critical person (especially when it comes to film), I also feel genuine, giddy joy when I have the pleasure of experiencing something great. It's very possible to be critical of a given work while still utterly adoring the medium you're writing about. Critics have a bad rep for being a cynical bunch of moaners, but it's very often the case they're the most enthusiastic of all.

Also, there's an important distinction to be drawn between 'difference' and 'innovating'. Just because you're doing something unique doesn't mean your changing things for the better. Difference is admirable, but it isn't a get out of jail free card if you're new experience isn't a worthwhile one. I could happily name dozens of games that take interactive storytelling in all manner of more interesting directions than anything David Cage has made (this year stuff like Papers, Please or Gone Home). His intentions are intriguing, the delivery - again, I'm only going on his career up to Beyond - much less so. If I say "I don't like David Cage's games" it's because I don't like David Cage's games, not because "**** anything different".

I'll give Beyond a go when it drops in price, but reading responses both positive and negative it just doesn't sound to be the genuine refinement I would have liked to see after Heavy Rain. All I can do is wait and see somewhere along the line, but my caution level is too high to splash out at the moment when there's dozens of other games to play.

Also, anyone looking for a 'movie game'? We had them for a while. They were called FMV games and we don't talk about them anymore for a good reason :pac:

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    To be fair now I don't like Tara as a reviewer or journalist and only Adam Sessler at Rev3 seems to know his stuff.

While I agree that I'd prefer the review to have been done by Sessler I have no real issue with Tara. From memory all her other reviews have been pretty spot on (although I would like to check out rain even though she gave it 3 stars)
    i simply cannot agree with a journalist who thinks people like shadow of the colossus because of nostalgia

Bit of a jump. She didn't disagree that it was a good game, just that she didn't think it was as good as people hyped it up to be. At the time that game was amazing for a PS2. Her point is valid although I don't agree.

Just to add to that while I absolutely love SOTC (and still do) I've went back to replay games I've missed like Ocarina of Time and Half Life 2 and I found both to be a bit overhyped (OoT in particular) but that's just due to the fact those games have been built on (and for OoT it was just early 3D so it controls and looks terrible).

Sure isn't that what Telltale are doing (and doing well)

To do it with retail games would be tricky.
    You'd have more customers buying it because it's cheap, but then slating it because it's only 2/3 hours! It would be a no-win situation (and wrongly so)

Heavy Rain was a wonderfully atmospheric experience that reached a little too far with it's story. It would have been a near perfect gaming experience if not for some major cock-ups in the writing department!

yeah true outlast was kinda like that it was like an experience game that lasted 5hours i loved it but if definatly should have been shorter IMO

maybe they could tag them as something else like
    "movie game" beside the ps3 logo:p that way people know what to expect I really would love something like this the heavy rain burglar scene was tense to play now imagine something like that being used for a full on horror game damm id love that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Think I might do the same :(

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    Think I might do the same :(

I'm reluctant still, but there's just so many other games to be playing that cancelling it seems the right thing to do for my wallet!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

hahaha always felt that myself! I was loving the game then I was playing it, thinking wtf?

I'm reluctant still, but there's just so many other games to be playing that cancelling it seems the right thing to do for my wallet!

Indeed, I cant justify it either. I have special edition pre ordered on amazon for £33. Pretty good price, but I am shocked with the reviews, I thought it was going to be a big hit. I am ready to click the cancel button, but I am currently downloading the demo. I Wouldn't be surprised if Amazon start sending them out overnight. It would be too late to cancel then.

Pangea wrote: »
    Indeed, I cant justify it either. I have special edition pre ordered on amazon for £33. Pretty good price, but I am shocked with the reviews, I thought it was going to be a big hit. I am ready to click the cancel button, but I am currently downloading the demo. I Wouldn't be surprised if Amazon start sending them out overnight. It would be too late to cancel then.

Same here, special edition for 33 sterling... They still haven't sent it and I still haven't cancelled it... Decisions, decisions : )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I'm one of those rare people who liked Fahrenheit even when it went crazy. I will say, though that on replays of the game, those playing as a kid sections were a tedious downpoint.

Same here, special edition for 33 sterling... They still haven't sent it and I still haven't cancelled it... Decisions, decisions : )

I cancelled mine last night. Happy with my decision, think I'l buy the Metal Gear Legacy Collection now to fill the gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

got around to playing this tonight... yeah... kinda on the borderline of whether it's actually a game at all or not to be honest. doesn't feel like you're ever affecting anything

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I cancelled mine too. Truth be told, I'm playing alot more games that are, you know, actually games, and not interactive movies.

It's a shame because I was quite hyped about it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Was looking foward to it too, will pick it up in the bargain bin soon enough.

• Advertisement

COYVB wrote: »
    got around to playing this tonight... yeah... kinda on the borderline of whether it's actually a game at all or not to be honest. doesn't feel like you're ever affecting anything

just curious did u like heavy rain?

Advertisement