Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beyond: Two Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

anybody know weres cheapist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

biggebruv wrote: »
    just curious did u like heavy rain?

yup, i thought it was rather good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

I may get this when I pick up a PS3 at christmas then, along with heavy rain and the similar games like that. Should be cheap by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

Got my special edition today in the post.
    Hope to play a small bit of it tonight if i can.
    Looking forward to it :)

im liking this if the general plot interests you and you loved heavy rain and you enjoyed the demo then get it
    dont let the reviews put you off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

this game will drop in price dramatically
    If anyone is thinking of buying I'd suggest holding off, could easily get it for 15 quid before christmas

game is more like a interactive movie tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jos eph

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    this game will drop in price dramatically
    If anyone is thinking of buying I'd suggest holding off, could easily get it for 15 quid before christmas

game is more like a interactive movie tbh....

That's not a bad thing, I personally love this game to bits, but I'm a person who prefers story over gameplay, so I could see why some people don't.

Played a couple of hours tonight, up later than i planned, 1:45am now.

The storyline is back n fourth as you can read in reviews, and it also moves at a relatively fast pace.

I can see already how each response can have different consequences or your usage of Aidan can be varied too.

Combat is simple yet challenging at times, the slow mo determines what action you must do but sometimes its hard to tell exactly what direction you should move and there is consequences to getting fight scenes wrong.

Overall it is what i expected and the storyline must be good enough as i intended on only playing half an hour tonight and it turned into 2 hours. :)

im liking it so far i think im at the halfway point but if i had to choose the better game it goes to heavy rain the story in heavy rain was grim and dark but also had that "I NEED TO KEEP PLAYING TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT" thing because you didt know who the killer was till the very end

im liking it so far i think im at the halfway point but if i had to choose the better game it goes to heavy rain the story in heavy rain was grim and dark but also had that "I NEED TO KEEP PLAYING TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT" thing because you didt know who the killer was till the very end

What made Heavy Rain such an interesting game was the range of complex characters in it. Beyond two souls is linear in this aspect.

Even though I don't feel that the storyline of beyond is truly gripping me, still when I intend on only playing a small bit, I end up playing for a couple of hours.

Played more late last night and again stayed up too late. Wrecked this morning. I played a good bit of it from the start at a friends house saturday evening, so played 2 player on the scenes that I already knew what was going to happen. However, deliberately choosing different answers to questions and exploring a bit more, I have discovered new things and seen new scenes. And didn't see some of the scenes that I saw when I played through them myself at home.

It's the kind of game that need a couple of playthroughs to get the full experience. There is multiple endings to the game so thats another reason to play it more than once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Got to play about an hour and a half of it there, maybe a little more.

I'm enjoying it.. for what it is. The game is gorgeous looking, soundtrack is great and the QTE's are actually pretty decent or at least feel good to do since it actually seems like you are both doing the same thing.

But I have 2 early issues.. Firstly there isn't really a story yet. Which isn't a major issue yet but I'm not sure what is the point so far. Heavy Rain at the very least had an interesting premise but this is cut into different sections of Jodie's life which have no obvious connection so far.

Second issue is far greater. There is a complete lack of any real choice in the game so far and in particular the parts where you control Aidan. For some reason you can only kill certain people and control certain people where you can only do one thing with that person. Imo this is pretty terrible game design and breaks the immersion of the game.

I may sound negative but I am enjoying it.

Backfire wrote: »
    It's the kind of game that need a couple of playthroughs to get the full experience. There is multiple endings to the game so thats another reason to play it more than once.

Funnily enough, David Cage recommends people play once and once only

COYVB wrote: »
    Funnily enough, David Cage recommends people play once and once only

Really?
    Thats odd, even for him.

When it comes to answering questions, i am always curious of the implications of the options i didnt choose.

Yeah, he says it should be played once, like life in that you make your decisions at the time and stick by them. He wants people to discuss their outcomes with friends, rather than seeing the possibilities themselves

finished it was a great game but the story is not something id love to watch/play again it had excellent action moments everything was top notch but the story just didt grip me enough for a replay the way say Last of us or tomb raider did so il be trading it in

COYVB wrote: »
    Yeah, he says it should be played once, like life in that you make your decisions at the time and stick by them. He wants people to discuss their outcomes with friends, rather than seeing the possibilities themselves

but in the end those
    choice endings all felt pointless to me because the main story's ending is the future ending since its appeared in every ending iv gotten so far anyways that to me tells me its the most important aspect everything else is fluff regarding who Jodie chooses for her life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Just finished the
    Condenser
    level earlier today. My one criticism so far is that the story isn't linear. It makes the whole thing very disjointed, and thus far I can't see any reason for it to be that way, although time may tell

Having said that, it feels very much like Heavy Rain, so I am enjoying it so far

Also, "soundtrack" is a very optimistic description on the Special Edition; it has 4 tracks, about 5 minutes each. Disappointing, that

but in the end those
    choice endings all felt pointless to me because the main story's ending is the future ending since its appeared in every ending iv gotten so far anyways that to me tells me its the most important aspect everything else is fluff regarding who Jodie chooses for her life

that would be because david cage is an awful writer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Six months ago I read an article on the game talking about it... I had this to say then.
    Beyond features a new user interface based mainly around use of the analog sticks. "
    So, like Fahrenheit, then, and that was a great game. Heavy Rain was decent, but not as good, IMO.
    In other words, you might play one scene as the teenage Jodie, then the next with her as a child, then as an adult. One scene could feature a character who is upset with Jodie, but the reasons why won't be revealed until three or four scenes later.
    This type of device can be pulled off well, but as described above kind of explains a part of the problem I have. If I'm immersed or trying to be in a character, it's a bit strange that I'd have someone annoyed at me about something and not know what it was until later. It's great for suspense and holding a twist back, but the character interaction for a game, I think I'll find this aspect will be my main issue with the game.
    It's about asking the player not just to watch the story passively, but contribute to the story at a macro level - to try to understand it and put the pieces of the puzzle together," Cage says. "It creates another layer of interactivity that is quite interesting.
    It isn't, really. If there are things the character knows and you only find out later, that isn't really trying to understand it as the character. It doesn't even work in the context of treating the player like a third person to whom the events are being elaborated upon by the protagonist, as they'd have explained things in sequence.
    From what I'm hearing about the game, I think I'll wait till the game drops in price.

Well I just finished it there.

I'm not sure what to make of it. Really I'm not. Soundtrack is good, graphics are amazing and the performances are good all round, Ellen Page in particular since she gets the most screen time too.

I found the action QTE to be very good, possibly the best QTE in any game.

But the story is poor.. really poor. No doubt there are parts that I liked but overall it's poor.
    Nathan's motivations, particularly towards the end are absolutely baffling. They just make no sense. And anyone who tries to open a 'rift', why? Why bother.

It's odd, I enjoyed playing it but the narrative is poor.

Anyway to leave on a positive note, the 2 pieces of the score I particlarly liked, the main theme and treason

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭Aotearoa

very linear but a solid 710

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

"tok9 wrote: »
    Nathan's motivations, particularly towards the end are absolutely baffling. They just make no sense. And anyone who tries to open a 'rift', why? Why bother]

I thought that was very clear

I thought that was very clear
    Clear as in I understood why but that doesn't excuse what a clearly terrible idea it was and a man of his intelligence would know that especially from the previous incident of opening a rift.

Thanks for the spoilers :(

Daemos wrote: »
    Thanks for the spoilers :(

Sorry about that. :(

Just finished it last night, and I have to completely disagree with the critics, I loved this game. It took a while to get going for me, but once I hit the
    Homeless and Navajo
    levels I was completely drawn in. I do agree with the above criticism, but it didn't detract from the overall experience for me

I genuinely got a bit teary-eyed at the end, after I
    chose the Beyond
    . The only other time that happened for me with a video game was the end of The Walking Dead. I found myself really emotionally-invested in this game, which hadn't yet happened when I posted earlier in this thread

Along with TWD and Heavy Rain, I would hold this game in very high regard, and am tempted to play through it again to see what might happen with different choices, something which I could never bring myself to do with the above two games

I know not everyone will agree with that, and I am disappointed that more people aren't willing to give it a chance after The Walking Dead, but I would encourage everyone to give it a go. Just give it some time first :)

I know not everyone will agree with that, and I am disappointed that more people aren't willing to give it a chance after The Walking Dead, but I would encourage everyone to give it a go. Just give it some time first :)

I completely agree that people on the fence should try it. While I obviously had issues with it, I still find the experience memorable and like yourself there are some truly powerful scenes in the game (
    Homeless
    in particular is up there with the best scenes in the game)

I think my issue with the game really just comes from the whole CIA storyline which is completely unnecessary imo. I just found a lot of the more normal eveyday scenes to be far more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Finished this and I liked it a lot. It's not much of a game really since it's basically QTE's everywhere but they were well done so I don't have any complaints there, I knew it would be similar to Heavy Rain anyway. The story and characters were great too, I liked the way the game bounced you between child, teen and adult Jodie.

Couple of things about the ending...
    I was really worried that I wouldn't like the ending, it seemed to be hinting all the time Jodie will be sacrificed but the world will be okay but I got a happy ending thankfully. None of that grey, in between shít that seems to be popular these days in games.

Not sure if there are loads of endings like Heavy Rain but my one was: Destroyed the black sun, lived in a cabin for a few months where it looked like Jodie might have some sort of Alzheimers (that's when I thought "Oh no, they let survive but now they'll mess it up!") but she got over that and I picked Ryan where she seemed to live happily ever after, and even Aiden came back. And they let the nice black doctor live too!

Got a little confused after that though when they a post-apocalyptic city with an open rift and Jodie said "I've died twice already, I'm not afraid of death anymore."

What's that about?

J. Marston wrote: »
    Got a little confused after that though when they a post-apocalyptic city with an open rift and Jodie said "I've died twice already, I'm not afraid of death anymore."

What's that about?
    That threw me for a while too, but remember earlier in the game? Jodie had those strange visions of the future, as if she was watching a giant TV. That was one of the things she saw way back then. It's a future that seems to happen, no matter what

Even in my game, where I decided to choose the Beyond, the girl looking over the ruined city turned out to be the child of the homeless woman, acting on Jodie's behalf, because Jodie's soul spoke to her since she was a child, warning her of what was coming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That threw me for a while too, but remember earlier in the game? Jodie had those strange visions of the future, as if she was watching a giant TV. That was one of the things she saw way back then. It's a future that seems to happen, no matter what

Even in my game, where I decided to choose the Beyond, the girl looking over the ruined city turned out to be the child of the homeless woman, acting on Jodie's behalf, because Jodie's soul spoke to her since she was a child, warning her of what was coming
    Yeah but how has she "died twice already"? Have I missed something very obvious?

Advertisement