Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beyond: Two Souls

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

J. Marston wrote: »
    Yeah but how has she "died twice already"? Have I missed something very obvious?
    If I had to guess, I'd say they're referring to when she was homeless and Aidan had to fight off the demon-things and get the homeless guys attention, and also to the very end, where she was in limbo between Life and Beyond

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Daemos wrote: »
    If I had to guess, I'd say they're referring to when she was homeless and Aidan had to fight off the demon-things and get the homeless guys attention, and also to the very end, where she was in limbo between Life and Beyond
    Yeah, I was thinking one of them might have been in Homeless (Collapsing at the start, hit in the head at the end) but the other one had me a bit confused but limbo seems like a reasonable explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Now less than 25 euro on Zavvi

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

I still have not brought myself around to finish this game. I just don't have enough interest to do so. My gaming time is being spent playing assassins creed 4 on the xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Elessar

Just finished this. Very impressive. I'm left feeling a bit empty and bittersweet, as I chose the
    Death ending
    . I've a massive thing for Ellen Page anyway so now I'm all :( Very few games have this effect on me.

I watched the rest of the endings on youtube, but still feel the same. I actually cared about Jodie.

In all, I thought it was quite weak at the start/middle as the story was jumping around from past to future too much and I didn't know where I was in it half the time. It could have done with a more linear narrative. The end sections are really good though. Overall a worthwhile purchase. I need a break for a few days!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Necro-thread yes but I really have to get this off my chest.

Just finished a co-op playthrough of this with the girlfriend at the weekend and it's terrible, really terrible. What kept us going was laughing at how bad it was.

Firstly it's barely a game. Heavy Rain wasn't perfect but at least it tried some interesting things with QTE's many of which didn't pay off but it tried. This game doesn't even bother. Most of the time you are wandering around pressing the analogue stick towards something looking for the trigger point for the next cut scene. Sometimes it mixes things up by letting you choose between waiting things out or interacting. Whatever you do doesn't matter because your choices make very little impact on the story and the worst thing that can happen is a scene is cut short.

Of course this might be tolerable if the story was good but it's not. In fact it's probably David Cage's worst effort which is saying a lot. Lots of the sequences are absolute nonsense and serve no purpose to the overall narrative, the Navajo sequence stands out as one that was incredibly stupid and could have been cut with no overall effect on the narrative. When it started to get more spiritual towards the end it nose dived into absolute nonsense. The ending was a terrible pay off. The big mystery about aiden was so cliché that I had it figured out before the first few chapters were over. In fact I was joking that I didn't think David Cage was such a bad writer that he would go down that route. Some of the character motivations by the end of the game were absolutely baffling as well and didn't make sense, their only purpose was to artificially create a climatic ending.

It's pretty much one of the worst games I've played this generation and while I'm not a fan of Cage's work at least it usually has interesting ideas or ambition. this has neither. It's very lazy, the illusion of choice is very transparent and even it's use of QTE's is simplified from Heavy Rain's and add nothing to the game whereas as Heavy Rain at least made an attempt at using them in an interesting manner with tough actions being like a game of finger twister.

Rating: **** sandwich

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Seems like a pretty fair post.

That said I actually liked how the QTEs were implemented..

I still enjoyed playing through the game but like you said I wouldn't say it was a good game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

To be fair playing co-op was fun but more so because we were laughing a the absurdity of a lot of it. My girlfriend didn't like it much at all but she enjoyed Heavy Rain despite the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    To be fair playing co-op was fun but more so because we were laughing a the absurdity of a lot of it. My girlfriend didn't like it much at all but she enjoyed Heavy Rain despite the story.

sounds like ye are well suited.

Advertisement