Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions

Options
  • 04-03-2013 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭

What may have caused this? Recorded over the weekend at a location where owners claim tenants have been complaining about light flashes and noises. Theres nothing in the room this was recorded in bar an iphone running a camera. no other light sources. to the left of the cameras POV is a corner with nothing in it. There was no-one in this room at the time.

I have one theory .. I just want to see if anyone else mentions it. You can hear us talking downstairs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Can we get a detailed inventory of what's in the room please?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Its a room with a bed, and a dresser in an unoccupied house. nothing else in it. The only white light source upstairs is from the camera, and a small flashlight in the room next door, which would have been completely unable to reflect light into the room in question as its literally in the same position in the other room. as it is, theres sparse furniture and the camera is on the dresser pointing at the door and bed and thats all. two people were in the building (I was one of them) and we were downstairs.

Im wondering if its a fly, getting caught up by the camera and the light reflecting off it makes it look like a glow on the wall. The only downside to that is that, though there is a fly in the room, its already crashed into the camera about 5 times and the camera picks up the sound of it a mile off. Plus, when you go through it frame by frame, theres nothing to suggest any kind of reflection off wings so Im not too sure.

It looks to me like the kind of flash you'd get from an LED on the back of an old PC. Used to drive me nuts if I had to sleep in a room with one.

It's hard to make any kind of a call when there's so little visible, but obviously that's the best time to see flashes of light. I wouldn't like to make any kind of guess since I can't get in there to have a look around.

theres no machines in there at all. just a bed, a dresser and the lamp that the camera is facing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It wouldn't strike me as light reflecting off a fly, the light appears to spread out & diffuse all over the wall.

• Advertisement

maccored wrote: »
    theres no machines in there at all. just a bed, a dresser and the lamp that the camera is facing.

I understand. I was just saying what it reminded me of.

Since the flash seems to be coming from the bottom left corner, maybe next time it'd be possible to centre it more in the frame.

i have a camera out in the hall and it captures a good chunk of that room. Im hoping that when I get to that part of reviewing it might catch some of that light. Hopefully might be able to see its source. theres 20+ hours of footage left so it might take a bit to get to it.

kylith wrote: »
    I understand. I was just saying what it reminded me of.

Since the flash seems to be coming from the bottom left corner, maybe next time it'd be possible to centre it more in the frame.

When we go back there, Im going to put two or three cameras in that room and cover all angles. At the time, setting up the camera, I didnt know there was going to be a light coming from the corner ... but at least next time I'll know .

owners claim tenants have been complaining about light flashes and noises
    Its a room with a bed, and a dresser in an unoccupied house

I take it its unoccupied now, & when there were tenants in it previously, they were complaining about the flashes is it?

I purposely didnt get all the details from the landlord as I wanted to just set things up and see what occurs, and then see if anything matches up with the claims - but all I know is noises and lights are things up to 5 different people at different times witnessed. I'll be chatting to her again this week when I'll get the full story, so I'll see if theres any mention of that particular room. I know that theres a new tenant next door who is unaware of any of the claims, and he has already had complaining about his noisey next door neighbours and had to be told that he didnt have any neighbours since next door was empty. Again, though, I'll get more details on that this week. That was actually what prompted the landlord to ring me as they found that a bit strange,

• Advertisement

one thing I do know is that the house is from the 1860s, been in the landlords family for decades (the husband was born in the place), but there NEVER was any claims of paranormal activity up until people started reported hearing things about 4 years ago.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Is the house near a road, and were the blinds drawn?

house is right next to the road, no blinds, only curtains - which were drawn. I'm ruling out the window considering theres no light at all coming from them over the 4 hour-ish period the camera was running - bar that occasion and a similar though much smaller one earlier. Plus I barely noticed the window at all in the room at the time - definitely was curtained up heavily enough and no light at all getting through.

my brain says its an insect - though in the single frame where you can see the white blob, it doesnt look insecty

house is right next to the road, no blinds, only curtains - which were drawn. I'm ruling out the window considering theres no light at all coming from them over the 4 hour-ish period the camera was running - bar that occasion and a similar though much smaller one earlier. Plus I barely noticed the window at all in the room at the time - definitely was curtained up heavily enough and no light at all getting through.

Was the other flash in the exact same location as the one in the video?

nope - it was on the opposite wall - very rectangularish in shape but literally one or maybe two frames in total so it was very quick - there and gone. I'll post it up once i get through the rest of this stuff. its not as bright as this one though.

i used the enhancement thing on youtube to brighten it up a bit. might have over done it - but you can see the flash at around 3-4 secs. Obviously in the original, its darker and the flash is brighter (well easier to see anyway)

the more i look at that one, the more i think its just dust whizzing past close to the camera and only catches the light the right way at that particular time.

mystery solved i think. the hall camera shows the light from the iphone camera dimming slightly when the iphone was taking that footage (as in the first one). Had to be an insect.

Advertisement