Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get into Windows XP without password?

Options
  • 04-03-2013 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Have a desktop from OH's work and am trying to set it up for the father in law, when I booted it up though it gives the username for the old user of the pc in work. We asked him the password but he doesn't remember it.

There is nothing of any importance on it as they were all networked and used the main server for storing docs etc.

I'm trying to get in to it so I can set up a new user account with a new password.

I've googled this and see that I can go in through Safe Mode and change the password this way but it doesn't let me as when I do got through safe mode it stills bring me to the same log in screen as if I boot the computer normally.

Any help appreciated

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭number66

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Hiren's boot CD also has a password setting tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Ophcrack might be of use, boot into the machine with it and in theory you can crack the password (I've had limited success with it though)

http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Use the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor and clear the password, quick and painless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

If there's nothing important on it why don't you just wipe it and reinstall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

If there's nothing important on it why don't you just wipe it and reinstall?

I would gladly as there is nothing on it that I'm bothered with, can anyone help me how to do this? I don't have the Windows XP disc.

vicwatson wrote: »
    I would gladly as there is nothing on it that I'm bothered with, can anyone help me how to do this? I don't have the Windows XP disc.

Make and model? There's probably a recovery partition on the laptop to restore it to its factory default state.

Torqay wrote: »
    Make and model? There's probably a recovery partition on the laptop to restore it to its factory default state.

It's a desktop -

Dell Optiplex 170L cheers

What's on the license sticker? XP Pro probably? Well, you'll need a corresponding installation CD, i.e. Windows XP Professional OEM, this will work with your key. If you can't "borrow" one, the installation source might be on the hard drive, search for a folder i386 (this of course requires to nuke the password, see my previous post). It's fairly easy to create your own installation CD if you find the source files on the HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

ophcrack would be your best bet.

• Advertisement

ophcrack would be your best bet.

Most certainly not. Ophcrack may or may not crack the password, it is time consuming and its success really depends on the weakness of the password.

The Offline NT Password & Registry Editor will clear the password in no time.

You'd use Ophcrack on a machine where you wouldn't want the owner knowing that you cracked the password and the legality of doing so is highly questionable. Of course, with the Offline NT Editor, the person would know immediately because the password is now blank.

Torqay wrote: »
    What's on the license sticker? XP Pro probably? Well, you'll need a corresponding installation CD, i.e. Windows XP Professional OEM, this will work with your key. If you can't "borrow" one, the installation source might be on the hard drive, search for a folder i386 (this of course requires to nuke the password, see my previous post). It's fairly easy to create your own installation CD if you find the source files on the HDD.

Thanks Torqay, this is what I am trying to do - get into the darn pc so I can set up a new account as a guest or whatever. Getting in is my problem though as I ain't get the password for the person that had it that cant remember it !

Oh yes, it is XP Pro too.

I'll worry about wiping the pc when I can actually access it !:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Offline NT Password & Registry Editor is the only guy you need, you'll have the password cleared in literally no time. It's very easy and quick to do.

Download Hiren Boot CD, burn it to a disc, boot the desktop from the disc and Offline NT Password & Registry Editor will be under Dos programs.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Offline NT Password & Registry Editor is the only guy you need, you'll have the password cleared in literally no time. It's very easy and quick to do.

Download Hiren Boot CD, burn it to a disc, boot the desktop from the disc and Offline NT Password & Registry Editor will be under Dos programs.

UBCD (which, unlike Hiren's, is entirely legal) has it as well. Though just for the task at hand, you wouldn't need to download a whole CD full with tools, you'll get the bootable stand-alone ISO from the homepage i have linked above.

Why not dump Win XP as it's old and insecure , and install a modern light OS like X-Ubuntu or one of the many others.

http://xubuntu.org/

http://linux.about.com/cs/linux101/a/distros.htm

You might spend a bit longer getting started but you reap the benefit for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

This question comes up every 2 weeks, maybe the answer could be put into Sticky , lost password, how to acess windows xp/ windows 7.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

number66 wrote: »
    Why not dump Win XP as it's old and insecure , and install a modern light OS like X-Ubuntu or one of the many others.

http://xubuntu.org/

http://linux.about.com/cs/linux101/a/distros.htm

You might spend a bit longer getting started but you reap the benefit for years.
    Please review the charter, answer the op's question or don't respond at all. Unless the op suggests the Linux route this is of little help.
    riclad wrote: »
    This question comes up every 2 weeks, maybe the answer could be put into Sticky , lost password, how to acess windows xp/ windows 7.

Making a new sticky for every trivial problem will mean people on mobile/smaller devices will only see the stickies and not the latest posts! I suppose a guide to using nt passwd utility I could make at some point and include it in user created guides, just too busy at present :) .

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

maybe Just one,sticky ,Common pc problems,
    windows wont boot up,i lost my password,connect pc to a hdtv,
    eg problems that come up every few weeks.
    Might be worth considering.

yoyo wrote: »
    Please review the charter, answer the op's question or don't respond at all. Unless the op suggests the Linux route this is of little help.

Must be a slow mod day.

I suggested this as a solution to the OP end goal "Have a desktop from OH's work and am trying to set it up for the father in law," and not his specific question. I feel that the OP believed that cracking the XP machines password was his only option, I suggested an alternative that he probably never considered.

The OP can decide what he wants to do, I was just letting him know he has other options, and feel that you are incorrect when you say "this is of little help".

regards

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

number66 wrote: »
    Must be a slow mod day.

I suggested this as a solution to the OP end goal "Have a desktop from OH's work and am trying to set it up for the father in law," and not his specific question. I feel that the OP believed that cracking the XP machines password was his only option, I suggested an alternative that he probably never considered.

The OP can decide what he wants to do, I was just letting him know he has other options, and feel that you are incorrect when you say "this is of little help".

regards

It could also be viewed as confusing to the op. Suggesting to dump XP and get Linux is also deviating a good bit from the op hence my response. The father in law may not even want the change from XP. Granted I appreciate your response was in good faith, but I also have to enforce the charter :)

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement