Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for a nice garden

• 04-03-2013 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭

Right folk, So we moved in to our house last summer.

At the time the garden was mainly weeds and the hedges met in the middle.

I have since managed to get the grass to come back and weeds to go. I've cut back the hedge and reflected the shed. Going to paint it this week.

I have a three year old and a 15 month old. The sun comes over the house and sets at the end of the garden.

I'm looking for advice and suggestions and what to do with the garden now. I'd like to have somewhere nice for the kids to play but also some where nice where we don sit out and enjoy.

Here's an over view shot of the garden.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

I take it you've cut back the Griss on the left as well - good job.

IMO, with kids of that age you want:

- the largest lawn possible - all grass, no fancy stuff
    - Swings - check.
    - Trampoline - it'll be coming in a few years
    - A bigger man-shed :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it looks like you've block walls; as such, the hedge is slightly redundant, except as a screen to block the view of the walls. would you consider removing it entirely to regain some space and save on maintenance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

+1 on taking out the hedges.

Make some nice raised beds either side,plant them with various plants and climbers growing up the wall on each side.

Nice play area (rubber tiles or bark mulch and sand pit aswell).

A nice big shed/potting shed at the back (like what the neighbour has there).

You could also make a sort of enclosed secret garden down the back too...for yourself to go and relax with a cuppa te and the newspaper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like you've trees at the end of the garden - do they cast shade into the garden in the afternoon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There is a block wall on the shed side, it starts at about 6 foot and slopes down to about 4 foot.

I do plan on removing the hedge there, but need to aquire a pick to help dig out the roots. i'd like to build up the wall bit abto to retain some privacy. maybe just attach some trellis to the wall.

The far side has no wall or fence just the hedge. I've cut it back futher so that it even though its grows on our side it is all on the neighbours side.

the tree at the end doesn't pose much trouble. especially as the garden behind has bigger trees.

would you recomend paving an area? which end? the patio slabs to the shed creat a natrual boarder to split the garden, i was going to move them clsoer to the wall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement