Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Island 10 April 21st 2012

Options
  • 04-03-2013 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

I don't see a thread on this yet, voted best 10 mile in Munster for the last two years on Cork running!

http://www.greatisland10.com/go/Default.aspx

This will be my first time running it. How does it compare in difficulty to Ballycotton? Ran Ballycotton for the first time yesterday and between the congested start and the hilly finish, I found it quite difficult.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Brewski78

The hills are more extreme in Cobh and having run Ballycotton yesterday I think Cobh is harder because of this. There's a big hill at about 3.5km in Cuskinny and then another climb up to Ballymore at 5.5km, after that there are slight inclines at 7, 8 and 9km. However from 10km on it's downhill with a slight pull at 14km as you come into Cobh itself.

It's a very enjoyable race though with a nice finish in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Excellent, a thread for this!

This race last year was my first ever race, and I've fond memories of it! The start wasn't too congested at all, and there's plenty of downhill in the course to get your breathing back on track. Really enjoyable race, the main hilly climb happens early enough in the race that you can handle it (miles 3-4), and you've plenty of time to make up any time you might lose. The hills are more pronounced than Ballycotton, but I think the difficulty with Ballycotton is that it's right at the end. It'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

Definitely a tougher course than Ballycotton...what I remember from last year was there are real hills, not drags so having a few hill repeats will come in handy. But don't let that put you off as its a very enjoyable race with a nice finish and all for a very good cause.

Advertisement