Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-"cooking" chicken?

Options
  • 04-03-2013 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

This might fall under safe food a little, so feel free to close if so.

I marinated and cooked some chicken fillets on Sat night, ate half and froze the rest. Now I've got the other half defrosting at the moment, but I wanted to add a little extra kick to the dish for tonight, clear out the old sinuses. So I picked up some Nando's extra hot sauce, but of course I assume the sauce needs to be cooked in.

Looking at the Nando's website, it suggests a large splash on the chicken and cook for a few minutes, so am I ok to throw the cooked chicken back in the pan for a few minutes? Any suggestions as how to get the best results - hot pan, little oil, etc? I'd like to avoid a charred mess.

I assume that splashing it on the cooked chicken and then bunging it in the microwave for a few minutes is not a good idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

corblimey wrote: »
    I assume that splashing it on the cooked chicken and then bunging it in the microwave for a few minutes is not a good idea?
    Why not?
    All you are looking to do is heat it up nit cook it. Microwave will be fine for this. Or heat in the pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The bottle will usually say it. Most sauces like this do not require cooking, the only one I can think of is some pataks sauces which do require cooking, it states this clearly on the jar. Most are sterilized or otherwise heat treated in the bottle, or preserved in other ways (e.g. vinegar for chili sauce). There may be some things that require cooking like in the pataks.

On tesco nando extra hot says
    Serving SuggestionNando's Peri-Peri is delicious with chicken, stir-fries, casseroles, dips, sandwiches or anything else you can get your hands on.Shake well before use
    sandwiches & dips would infer it is OK to eat uncooked, just check your label.

I have never heard of a hot sauce that needs cooking.

You could also cook it separately and then add the chicken.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I don't think this is food safety, it's more a question of how to get the best out of the sauce with the chicken. I regularly freeze leftover roast meat slices and find that they reheat best in the oven with a little gravy and covered with tinfoil (20 minutes at 180c).
    With the chicken and hot sauce this would work well, but if you don't want to turn the oven on just for that you could put the chicken and sauce into a saucepan with the sauce and reheat it over a medium heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Tks all, I think I'll try reheating it on the hob

Advertisement