Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training plan for sportive

Options
  • 04-03-2013 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Could anyone point me in the direction of a good (preferably free) 8 or 10-week plan to complete a 140km sportive? I've been using a plan I came up with myself, but I could do with some structure. I did a quick Google and I can’t seem to find any detailed plans. I believe you can buy a plan from Bike Radar, has anyone used one, are they any good or worth the money?

Edit: Just seen the sticky "training resources" might get something from that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭nilhg

A lot of plans you'll find will be aimed at riders going racing an will include stuff like intervals and sprints which won't really be of relevance to you if your aim is to complete a 140 in comfort.

Really there is no magic to it, you need to build up your kms on the bike gradually, generally the advice is a couple of shorter spins midweek and longer ones at the weekend.

Between now and a week or two before the time of the sportive you need to work up to doing the distance (140km) over the course of a week, the general consensus is that'll get you through

Presuming you have a reasonable bike you need decent shorts/tights as a basic minimum.

Joining a club would be a good idea if possible to get used to riding in a group or if that doesn't suit try to find a few folk who are doing the same sportive and try to meet with them a few times before hand for a spin, a bit of company makes the kms fly by.

It'd be no harm to take in a sportive or two before your target, even just a 50 or 80 to build you up and get you used to cycling in a crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Hi Nilhg

Thanks for your comments & advice. I am currently cycling between 30-50 miles most Saturdays and maybe 20-30 on a Sunday but I find that I fatigue badly around the 40-45 mile mark. I had put it down to poor training as I appear to be stuck at this distance for about two months now (Cycling about 8 mths). I intend to do a few sportive before the main event and I just want to be prepared as best as I can. I guess I'll continue as before and maybe increase the mileage by about 10% every week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Make sure you are fuelling yourself correctly during the spin, if you are bonking out at the distance each week then make sure you are eating before getting hungry and drinking before being thirsty.

Cheers t'bear,

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I ate much better this Saturday on a 56-mile spin and was able to maintain my speed much better, in actual fact my speed increased on the last five miles. I think part of my problem was not eating enough before and during the cycle. All part of the learning process i suppose and thanks for your comments. I'll just have to make sure I don't over indulge now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AthenryLeads

talkabout wrote: »
    Could anyone point me in the direction of a good (preferably free) 8 or 10-week plan to complete a 140km sportive? I've been using a plan I came up with myself, but I could do with some structure. I did a quick Google and I can’t seem to find any detailed plans. I believe you can buy a plan from Bike Radar, has anyone used one, are they any good or worth the money?

Edit: Just seen the sticky "training resources" might get something from that.

There is a Suggested Training Programme on the Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford site for each of the route options - 50km, 100km & 160km.
    This is the link for the 160km option - http://www.theseankellytour.com/media/itsafeeling/media/topattractions/getoutthere/skthomepage/trainforit/suggested%20training%20programme%20160k%202012.pdf

Might be of some use to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

http://www.wicklow200.ie/2011/skguide.pdf

Page 29 might be of use to you.

Great info, thanks The Noble Judge & Athenryleads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Sorry to jump in, but I was looking for something similar for something coming up in April.
    Thanks for that link on the sean kelly training, I've printed out the training for 100k, though will find it difficult to keep the sunday spins down to 30/40/50k.
    Through the week I look forward to 70/80/90 spins, but I guess the idea is to build up the ability to do that distance 2 days consequetively and feel completely fine, whereas now after a 70k spin I can feel it in my legs the next day and rest.
    Still seems a bit of a waste of a wknd to just go on 2 x 40k spins.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Thanks smacl. after reading them I can't wait for the wknd now to go cycling!
    No way I'll be capping the distance to 40k :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

MB Lacey wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in, but I was looking for something similar for something coming up in April.
    Thanks for that link on the sean kelly training, I've printed out the training for 100k, though will find it difficult to keep the sunday spins down to 30/40/50k.
    Through the week I look forward to 70/80/90 spins, but I guess the idea is to build up the ability to do that distance 2 days consequetively and feel completely fine, whereas now after a 70k spin I can feel it in my legs the next day and rest.
    Still seems a bit of a waste of a wknd to just go on 2 x 40k spins.

why would you need a 100km training plan if you are already doing 90km spins?

mossym wrote: »
    why would you need a 100km training plan if you are already doing 90km spins?
    MB Lacey wrote: »

;)

Advertisement