Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Residences Experience

Options
  • 04-03-2013 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Interested to see everyones experience.
    Personally I think residences are awful, with people getting kicked out, extortionate rent prices, lock out charges, 30 euro ucard replacement and fines. Feels like they're trying to squeeze every penny out of you.

I've had a great time with friends here but it I often feel like its prison with RAs who can fine you and guards at the gate. I'm in Roebuck and I actually cannot wait to live in a house next year!
    Anyone else have thoughts/experiences

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

Roebuck strictness is a ****ing joke

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cblack18

So true, and in my experience the guards at the gate are so unfriendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hyper_on_water

I'm in Roebuck too, though personally I've never had any issues whatsoever, I really do like it, but I ended up living with some really nice people, and that always helps.
    Having said that, I do think the security is a little bit irrational upon occasion, and the RAs on the grumpy side...
    All in all though, I think I'd be happy enough to stay on campus again, though I think I'd like a little bit more freedom next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

If you just want to study and if have serious goals, then I would recommend residences particularly the post-grad ones where people are usually equally serious about getting out of UCD asap. If you are incredibly disciplined and motivated, they can be excellent when combined with UCD's facilities for jogging and going for jogs down to Sandymount Strand, etc. I remember, though, a guy who moved in at the start of the year moved out very quickly because he found it too emotionally cold. I wanted it that way as I was focused on finishing asap and residences were functional and no more.

If you do not have goals, and if you're liable to get depressed and unproductive campus can be a horribly institutionalised place where you could waste years particularly if you're signed up for a PhD. You could escape from the world there in the most unproductive manner imaginable. I can easily see why people would hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Residences are great if you don't act like a douche. I spent 2 years on campus and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Yes, it's expensive, but that would by my only criticism. I also didn't particularly appreciate how some idiotic students showed a complete disregard for everyone else living in the building by coming home from clubs being noisy and obnoxious and setting off alarms.

• Advertisement
Advertisement