Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Little Things..

Options
  • 04-04-2013 6:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭

So,you've all been approved or waiting on approval at this stage so congratulations!.This is my first time posting in here but i hope i can share a little something and perhaps others might be able to add some stuff from their experiences.

When i went- 2009
    Came home- 2011
    Where- Ontario (toronto then kitchener/waterloo)

Well,other than the really obvious stuff you'll probably get a "that's mad" moment everyday no matter how long you're there (milk in bags,what's the story with that?),everyone lives practically next door to a tim hortons,and most likely be overwhelmed by the sheer size of the country.You'll also get those moments that remind you of home,for me it was eating HP sauce,i don't know what it was but it's the little things that will catch you.It's a big move but you have to put it out of your mind.

Anyway before i go off on a big long path of stuff i'll break it down.Starting with packing and then arriving.

What to bring with you and to do before hand:

Cosmetics
    Sprays and stuff can be quite expensive,you won't get the 3 for 2 style deals you get in boots and stuff over there.Also perfume/aftershave can be more expensive either,pick yourself up a big bottle before you go.Don't forget your toothbrush.

Underwear/Clothing
    Go into penneys the day/week before and get everything,socks and underwear by the dozen.Canadians aren't the most fashion conscious people,and from my perspective that's because of the price.So get your arse into penneys post haste.

Winter clothes and Summer clothes
    You're going to need both,don't pack for the seasons based on our weather,it isn't the rainy season for 365 days a year over there.Depending on your baggage restrictions,i'd advise one bag for winter and one bag for summer.Winter is cold but summer is scorching.

Adapters
    The last thing you want is to arrive in your accommodation and realise you can't use anything electronic you've brought from home.

Canadian Cash
    Take about 200 dollars with you,you're going to need it for things that pop up such as taxi's (rip off,try use buses as much as you can),food,smokes and whatever else.Be aware that when buying things,the tax isn't included in the price.I've seen a few people arrive from Ireland and start arguments with shop owners when they realise the price is different from the one displayed.

GET IN TOUCH WITH YOUR BANK!!!
    Call your bank before you leave telling them you're going to Canada.Withdrawing cash in Canada from an Irish account without them having knowledge before hand is a sure way of your account being frozen due to irregular activity.It happened to my friend,don't let it happen to you.

Arriving and the little things..

Initial reactions
    So,you've gone through arrivals and are looking around thinking "what now?",Get your arse to a hostel/hotel,put your bags down and get something to eat.Little small steps at a time don't get overwhelmed and lose a bag like I did.

So..you're in the city
    Unless you've done some Visa program beforehand,your most likely destination first off is to go to the tax office and sort out that end of things.Get yourself a bus pass and bus map and explore the city on your journeys.Then get to an internet cafe and start looking at accommodation.Then look for a job.You're not on holiday yet,set yourself right and avoid the pub whilst doing so.

Accommodation
    So you've found a place to stay,or so you think...Things to look out for when looking for apartments,houses etc etc is to find out if they're furnished.In Canada unfurnished dwellings are more common than they would be over here.Also try your hardest to get the shortest lease possible for the time being.You're in a new city,most likely a big city like Toronto,Calgary,Halifax or Vancouver.You might hate living there,so it's important that you get a lease so that you can leave for a smaller suburban city if have to or you feel the need to.Don't rule out housesharing,it's a good way to get integrated as well as saving a fortune

The Bank
    You'll need to open a Canadian bank account,so get a letter from the landlord stating you've taken up residency at his place otherwise you'll have F-all proof of address.

Bills
    Call electrical,heating companies etc etc and ensure there are no arrears on the accounts if you have to change the account over to yourself.Be prepared to pay for water.

Job
    Take any job to start out,don't have the attitude of "i'm an engineer,i'm looking for an engineering job only".Get into what you can and go from there,it's better to be working and looking for the job you want,than living off whatever you've brought over and looking.Look everywhere,that includes Mcdonalds.Another thing to note is,being late in canada is different than being late in Ireland.15 minutes late in Ireland might be considered on time,it isn't that way in Canada however.

Homesickness
    Everybody will get homesick,no matter how much you think you won't,you will.For the first month or so you'll be on cloud 9 with the novelty and then with a bang,homesickness is likely to come upon you.There's nothing you can do about it,it's going to happen.My tips would be to,limit your time talking to family and friends.The more home is in your mind,the more you'll miss it.You'll miss the tayto,the cadburys,the barry's tea but most of all,I missed to sense of humor.
    Try and put Ireland out of your mind,otherwise you'll be back home in two months kicking yourself.

Well that's a really really really really brief thing to go by,everybody's experience will be different.See you in 2014 :)
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement