Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Sabbat Team 2012/13 So Far...

Options
  • 04-03-2013 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭

On the back of this article in TST, I thought it might be a good idea to have a separate thread on this.

Here's Paddy Rockett's Manifesto:
    Hi guys -Here is my full manifesto in word. I wish for you to question me on the Academic issues and problems I wish to tackle as VP/Academic.

Paddy is currently your Campaigns & Services Officer. He previously studied Science Education and has been involved in the Union for the past 5 years. Paddy’s interests include Music, comedy, representation and as a teacher, education.

Paddy Is running for the VP/Academic role because of he brings more than any other candidate in terms of experience; a Class Rep for three years, ULSU Community and Fundraising Officers, Representative on Staff-Student Committees, Anti Fees Protester, a Vice-President of the Students' Union, a year as Campaigns and services Officer, There is NO ONE in any election better placed or more experienced to represent you.

Paddy has particular skill in rallying students (Highly important for departmental and class reps) and he is known for his ability to always look on the positive side of life. Paddy has developed strong relationships with members of the University community and is prepared for a role that needs a new dynamic in order to reinvigorate both the students and the ability of the union.

Come have a chat with Paddy over the week a single page cannot contain the ideas he has for his role as Academic Officer. ‘Your Union –Your voice’ has always been the motto. Come and have your say!

Academic issues

1.Active Class & Faculty Representative Recruitment
    In a world where jobs are difficult to come by, a recent study has shown that employers are looking at candidates volunteering and and theirrepresentative status on their C.V as well as their degree. Class Representative and Faculty Representative roles offer a fantastic opportunity to work with a diverse spectrum of people and a chance to represent students on issues of high importance to students.

With this in mind I will actively push to secure the remaining Faculty Reps before the start of the new term. This Includes all interest groups so that we have a legitimate council to make decisions on. I will carry out class addresses before the end of the new term to get students to sign up for rep for the following semester to have a head start in terms of developing their training and readiness for their new year.

Reps are currently not working, this is a fact. We have not had a quotate meeting (One that has the minimum amount of Reps to vote) since November. Thus the mandate for the SU, its accountability, its transparency is greatly diminished.

Class Reps Restructure was a brilliant concept and I assured Aoife, our current education officer that the Faculty Reps and Class reps recruitment will be a focus of mine. Being honest Class Reps Council is dull, tedious and involves little if no interaction. This will need to be rectified. We currently have 2 types of reps -Your parties, hoodies and ents Rep and your Academic rep, let’s cater to that dynamic. I will re-develop training, council and the marketing of class representative for the new academic year.

2. Adapting ULSU Facebook and Website
    To benefit Educational questions and queries using videos mentioned in point 3.
    At the moment the current Education officer and other officers have a link to their manifesto or their blog and in particular frequently asked questions but these are dated and I am hoping for easy access buttons linking to videos answering questions to the everyday topics that dominate a Vp/ Academics time. If the issue is serious enough it will require a one to one meeting in order to assess and sort the situation.

The student may also need advice in terms of what path to take next and that is something I regard as one of the most important functions. I feel I genuinely care how students are coping and managing their academic life. Hopefully these Interactive Academic video's will aid in the academic distress that comes with finding out something like failing an exam, losing a project before submission or being too sick to take and exam.

If you get a chance to see the mental health video we produced for week ten then please do! that is the quality of what I want to produce and similar to the Leeds Student Union Video - Take a look on my page - Becoming a rep:
    Have a look and tell me what you think.

These will issued on facebook, ulsu.ie and circulated via all student email also, In particular at times where the need is high, for example: pre-registering for modules and Release of Exam results.

3.Commissioning Union informational videos on the following Academic issues.

Lecture problems
    Course change
    QCA Break down
    I –Grades
    Exam Issues
    Being a rep (Faculty & Class)
    Academic Advice throughout the year
    A guide to Academic Supports
    A guide to your Advisor
    Accessing your student records
    ‘I’ve failed an exam…What happens next?”
    Registering For your modules
    Internal/external transfer
    Module outline
    Study Skills
    Orientation
    What your VP/Academic does for you.
    Co-op and TP – Issues
    Better Union Forum
    Erasmus in focus
    Union and Union governance

Many of the issues that arise under these headings can be dealt with in a short video. I am not saying that the problem is solved right there on the spot, but the knowledge base of the students will expand in terms of their academic lives here. This Type of media again, is indicative of gold standard Unions and I believe it will really aid our students in the year ahead!

If there are any other elements of your academic life that should be added be sure to throw it into the Suggestion box all week!

4.Union Accountability &transparency via:
    UNION FORUMS
    Similar to Leeds University (Gold Standard) They adopt a forum that uses Student Ideas to develop their Union, their University and their City

I am suggesting these Union Forums, that anyone can attend, are developed under the following headings.

Union: Which deals with all aspects of the union, policies, actions and activities including accounts.

University: Which deals with tackling University issues such as proposed charges for using the medical centre for example.

Entertainment: Where you the students formulate what you want for your entertainment for the year – Your Charity Week - You decide.

These forums are not a governmental structure; they are an open “think tanks” to ensure we as officers are engaging with you and you are ensuring we are operating to the best of our ability for you.

Anyone can submit an idea to these forums and they are discussed week by week at the end of those three forums the ideas are brought to Class Reps. Here we develop the ideas as action items or possible projects for the Union to take on.

Have a look at the video’s on the facebook Campaign Page for more info.

The Leed's 'Better Union' Forums are a very good example of the type of transparency that is needed in the Students Union at the moment. Have a look at the link of the video on the page.

Remember its not a carbon copy - it will be adapted to suit you the student.

And as always let me know what you think!

5. Beneficial Class rep training.
    Recognition for active class reps and an option for you to ‘Rate your rep’ Accountability for those that represent you.
    Reps training will be sponsored and we can engage in a venue swap of we co-ordinate our Reps training with other colleges or collaborate with other colleges. A structured module on reps training with a focus on activity rather than dictation of 'What’s going on in the Union'.
    Recognition. I will introduce a clubs and societies-type awards system pertaining to the best reps best events best academic rep, best representative rep that is open to submission from all students. the Reps will receive Awards and Gift vouchers - I will write a preliminary awards list and ask you the students, if you think more should be added. These awards will be the main focus of A ball (Hopefully a Summer ball -End of term) This is pending the events and promotions officer facilitating such and Event.
    Recognition for Faculty Reps and Interest Groups - The Presidents Volunteer award is in full swing and it needs more promotion with these groups. It’s a fantastic thing to have and I hope to push for it with these reps for the great work they do. I might link in some faculty/interest group rep awards with the previous point.
    Rate your Rep. at the end of each term your rep will ask you to rate their progress and acquire anonymous feedback of what you think they should be doing. It all aids their development and providing what you need.

6. I Will actively engage the University on the disgraceful issue of Exam Results release and suggest a staggered release of results based on year or faculty. Again I will actively work with students and will work with what they think is best.
    Every year an Academic/Education Officer promises that they will deal with the poor distribution of results and the disgrace that was this year’s results were the icing on the cake. we have the following facts:
    The system gets overwhelmed by too many people trying to get their results.
    They pre-release 2000 results after midnight before the full results are released
    Letters regarding failing are sent the week before online results (received usually the friday)
    Solution: stagger the results. Either by faculty/year/or timeframe. The problem with this is that students are going to check on the off-chance that they are there - I know, I've done it (A LOT) I would hope to educate students on the process of exam results and their release so that people know that they are causing more harm than good checking early. Other than this I would engage with the relevant bodies -SAA and ITD to investigate new means of exam dispersion or operating under a system that can handle fluctuating usage.

7. Each week I will publish case studies on facebook/blog for accountability and to highlight the issues of the week (each week) so that dealing with issues can be rectified quickly and not based on waiting for meetings.
    This would include:
    What is coming up next week (such as registering for modules)
    Case studies of meetings with students (anonymous) so that if students find themselves in a similar situation they can see it and adapt it to theirs.
    A breakdown of meetings I attended that week and the Issues that arose
    An opportunity for students to weigh up the full situation before scheduling a meeting.

8. Feedback and quality review on both ends (Student and Lecturer respectively) Lecture evaluations will be at the core of academic quality review and I will push academic council for an agreement on Feedback from lecturers regarding project work exams and student performance within a specified timeframe.

This would involve
    Continuing the Lecturer Evaluations as great strides in the quality of education are being made with regard to this.
    Lecturer feedback on student’s progress is needed. I will push for project work to be graded with feedback and returned to you no later than 2 weeks. This time is vital for your exams and new project work. I would hope that midterm student Appraisals will be carried out with feedback on how you are doing and that lecturers look at a more constructivist form of teaching and learning rather than the bare transmission of information. This will be carried out via my interaction with Academic Council.

9. 24 Hour computer Labs for Undergraduates -With Printing facility.
    Students Have been screaming for this -every weekend you stay on to get into your project work, essays or fyp and you get on a role and cannot find anywhere after 5 on a Sunday or after 11 on a weekday.
    There is an Undergraduate lab by the Fish tank near the 24 hour post graduate room that can be used for this very purpose. The reason for this is being closed is that students treated it with disrespect and the security cameras don’t work.
    I will actively work with the university and security to get this back in operation as it is one of the main things students have asked me to do. It would also have color and black and white printing facilities linked to your print account.
    On any of these issues be sure to give me a shout and ask me any questions.

Issued by Tomas Feehan & Adam Leahy Campaign Managers for Paddy Rockett

I understand there is a lot there and thank you for taking the time to read through them all. I take this job with great seriousness and pride and i wanted that to show in my manifesto

Regards

Paddy Rockett

IMO, Paddy's done an excellent job. Stand out performance of this year's team. Videos have been great, and he helped me out greatly both before and after my repeats with clear info.

Cathal Ronan's Manifesto:
    cjthecrow wrote: »
    My manifesto:
    My name is Cathal Ronan. I am a 4th year BA (Joint Honours) student, studying Criminal Justice and Economics. You should vote for me as DP/Welfare Officer this Thursday because I am approachable, hard working and have a lot of low cost ideas that I think will improve the Welfare office and make it a more open union to all students.

Sexual Health – Make Shag week like a second Charity Week. Go out at night handing out free condoms and leaflets to UL students. Make sexual health awareness a weekly campaign rather then once a semester.

Mental Health – “Welfare on Wheels”. I plan to have a welfare couch on wheels and once a week go out and meet students, invite them for a quick chat making the welfare office more open and more approachable. Also I want to provide more help and advice for graduating students for when they face the real world. I would work with the Alumni office to create a forum where graduates could keep in contact.

Physical Health – Physical health is key. It has a direct correlation on your mental and sexual health. I intend to have a weekly jog/walk to get people out and active. It’s a new way to meet people and helps build a good relationship between students and the Welfare office. I would also work with the ULSU Shop to create a meal plan for students. Students could buy the makings of a healthy dinner for a reasonable price, helping both the student and the SU.

Accommodation – Students need to have more information about the accommodation they are choosing while they are students in UL. I want to develop a rating scheme on houses that is accessible to all students to view. Past tenants can leave their feedback on the house/land lord so that incoming tenants have a better idea of the accommodation they’re choosing.

I want to create a union with more accountability and transparency. This is your union. You have the right to voice your opinions and know exactly what is going on in your union. Transparency is key therefore I will be publishing my activity at the end of each week allowing students to see how I am working for them. This activity will of course be private and the result will be two-fold. 1) Students see exactly what it is I do and 2) Students in similar situations will have information accessible to them online should they find it difficult to make the first step to talk. I will be accessible to students via all social media and face to face meetings.

With the recent trouble in the SU change is needed. As your Welfare Officer I hold no political agenda and I have no ulterior motives for this job. My only concern is your welfare and nothing else.

I have experience working with youths in summer camps in Barcelona and America. My main responsibility was the welfare of the youths while they were in my care. I firmly believe this experience coupled with my academic interest in human rights/civil liberties leaves me as a perfect candidate for this position.

I will welcome any and all ideas to help better the union and do my best to put those ideas into action.
    Well done is better then well said.

Choose your Future. Choose Ronan for Welfare

This manifesto was issued by Deirdre Wilson, Campaign manager for Cathal Ronan.

Like the TST article says, a lot of this office's work is done behind closed doors, so I don't know how effective he's being at that, but some of the more ambitious stuff on that manifesto seem to have been completely parked. The office seems to have little/no public face.

Adam Moursy's Manifesto:

Couldn't find a copy. Facebook page is gone and it wasn't posted in the Election Thread here, or on ULSUelect that I can see.

Again, like Cathal, not sure how he's doing. Could be doing a lot behind the scenes.

(And obviously fulfilling manifesto points isn't everything, I just posted them for general comparison)

The Union did negotiate a reduction in the Health Centre fees, and I'll give them props for that, but in terms of making the SU relevant to the average student? Seems have gotten more irrelevant if anything IMO.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    On the back of this article in TST, I thought it might be a good idea to have a separate thread on this.

Here's Paddy Rockett's Manifesto:

IMO, Paddy's done an excellent job. Stand out performance of this year's team. Videos have been great, and he helped me out greatly both before and after my repeats with clear info.
    While he did do the best out of the bunch there were still things he said he'll do that he didn't. I don't know if it was time that caused it not to happen or other factor. Do you think he will be using them as a reason to get re-elected if he goes for education again?

Cathal Ronan's Manifesto:

Like the TST article says, a lot of this office's work is done behind closed doors, so I don't know how effective he's being at that, but some of the more ambitious stuff on that manifesto seem to have been completely parked. The office seems to have little/no public face.

As you said no public face. While he may do a lot of work for a few student behind closed door the lack of a S.H.A.G week or other such weeks can be ignored. will find it hard to get a second term and he should not be re-elected if he was planning on running again.
    Adam Moursy's Manifesto:

Couldn't find a copy. Facebook page is gone and it wasn't posted in the Election Thread here, or on ULSUelect that I can see.

Again, like Cathal, not sure how he's doing. Could be doing a lot behind the scenes.

(And obviously fulfilling manifesto points isn't everything, I just posted them for general comparison)

The lack of a information made available with the Student Centre Referendum was shocking. He relied on the C&S to push it through and left out many ordinary students that voted no due to the lack of information. I was also shocked on the attitude of yes campaign that you had to look for the information. When he did start the yes campaign it was a week later even after the mess up that pushed it back.
    The AGM failed again no surprise. The surprise was the quick short email telling the where,when and what was up for discussion for the AGM sent less then 24 hours before the AGM.
    The Union did negotiate a reduction in the Health Centre fees, and I'll give them props for that, but in terms of making the SU relevant to the average student? Seems have gotten more irrelevant if anything IMO.

Thoughts?
    The union was not the alone in the fight for the reduced fees. The staff in the medical centre was in favour for the reduction from the start.
    The Union this year is out of touch with the regular student. To get information from the union is like getting blood from a stone.
    While we b1tched about Daly and his crew at least there was a sense of the union becoming open. On this forum the officers engaged with use and we had weekly emails from the SU telling use what they did and plan to do.
    The steps they made to improve Union student relations have been reversed. I doubt that the turn out for the election will be as high as it was last year.

Paddy should stay if he plan to run again. While I might not agree with him on all topics he at leasts tries to get student involved.

Cathal and Moursy should leave they have added nothing to the Union only removed progress done by Daly's crew.

Advertisement