Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quality of images exported as JPEGS from Lightroom

• 04-03-2013 3:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

I never really went into my export settings referring file size and my Jpegs always ended up around 5mb, I just noticed the wedding pics I exported are all around 1mb so I went into file settings in export and seen it was on about 60% quality and I know for a fact I def didn't change it.
    I did a test where I moved the slider up to 100% quality and exported a duplicate pic and it was now 7mb, so I looked at the 2 files side by side on large size and cannot actually tell the difference at all.
    I am due to put the 115 pics onto a disc my question is shall I export all again to my standard 5mb size or is there actually any diff if I just use the 1mb size?
    Camera is 5D III btw.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭softy2012

Still seems a bit small ?

My Quality on LR4 is set to 9 or so and after exporting from RAW most JPEGS are 20-30 MB ... also 5D III

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

softy2012 wrote: »

My Quality on LR4 is set to 9 or so and after exporting from RAW most JPEGS are 20-30 MB ... also 5D III

That seems very large for a jpeg, I'd expect a tiff to be in that range...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

softy2012 wrote: »

My files in Raw format are 25mb or so...and I just double checked teh camera that is normal Raw not sRaw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't have LR here, but a 12MP RAW file from my nikon D300 (15.5MB file), just exported from camera RAW at a quality of 10 (out of a max. of 12), works out at 4.06MB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

so I looked at the 2 files side by side on large size and cannot actually tell the difference at all.
    I am due to put the 115 pics onto a disc my question is shall I export all again

on a computer screen, files will look same (or should) - the differences will only be seen if printed to a large size - so best to give them largest file poss i.e. the 7mb files

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

I never really went into my export settings referring file size and my Jpegs always ended up around 5mb, I just noticed the wedding pics I exported are all around 1mb so I went into file settings in export and seen it was on about 60% quality and I know for a fact I def didn't change it.
    I did a test where I moved the slider up to 100% quality and exported a duplicate pic and it was now 7mb, so I looked at the 2 files side by side on large size and cannot actually tell the difference at all.
    I am due to put the 115 pics onto a disc my question is shall I export all again to my standard 5mb size or is there actually any diff if I just use the 1mb size?
    Camera is 5D III btw.

Really excellent analysis here : http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality

Level 8 roughly = 10 in photoshop and should pretty much always be all you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Ya I exported all again in 90% quality :)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Logie-1

While we are on the subject of lightroom exporting, what should the image sizing setting be set to, as regards to W: and H:?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Logie-1 wrote: »
    While we are on the subject of lightroom exporting, what should the image sizing setting be set to, as regards to W: and H:?

Depends on what you want.

Some, I want to export at max size, some I want to restrict size for web or facebook or such.

It all depends on your needs.

If you're only printing A4 or 8x10, then a file size of 1mb is more than fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

thebaz wrote: »

on a computer screen, files will look same (or should) - the differences will only be seen if printed to a large size - so best to give them largest file poss i.e. the 7mb files

Only if you don't zoom in at all. There is a reason Lightroom has that handy one-click-zoom feature.

• Advertisement
Advertisement