Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get goods off the boat and to my home?

Options
  • 04-03-2013 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭

This appears to be the most appropriate place to ask the question:

I am importing two statues from China, they are gifts for my parents and the Chinese manufacturer will cover all charges from factory floor to putting it on the ship to Dublin (FOB I believe?)

However, I'm slightly confused as to what happens when it arrives in Dublin port - can I get an Irish company to handle the customs/charges/unloading and delivery to my door? What are the charges that must be paid? I see there is 1.7% duty and 23% VAT, does anyone know about the other charges?

My query can be summarised as - I need once off shipping from a boat in Dublin port to a residential address. What is the cheapest and safest way of getting this done? The statues may weigh around 600kgs in total.

Many thanks for your advice and help.

Third

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

Thirdfox wrote: »

I am importing two statues from China, they are gifts for my parents and the Chinese manufacturer will cover all charges from factory floor to putting it on the ship to Dublin (FOB I believe?)

However, I'm slightly confused as to what happens when it arrives in Dublin port - can I get an Irish company to handle the customs/charges/unloading and delivery to my door? What are the charges that must be paid? I see there is 1.7% duty and 23% VAT, does anyone know about the other charges?

My query can be summarised as - I need once off shipping from a boat in Dublin port to a residential address. What is the cheapest and safest way of getting this done? The statues may weigh around 600kgs in total.

Third[/Quote

Give them a call. They handled all my imports.

www.mauriceward.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

you need the bill of lading from the supplier and to find out who the freight forwarder in Ireland is and contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Thirdfox wrote: »

Third

Hello Thirdfox,

On the basis of FOB (Free on Board) terms, the supplier is responsible for all charges upto loaded on board the Ocean vessel, including customs / export formalities.

However, that pre-supposes that you then make arrangements to ship the goods from the port of loading to Ireland. Sure, you can ask the supplier to make arrangements on your behalf, but that is fraught with challenges (as well described in this forum under : China Import Service Fee). I would not leave the shipping arrangements with your supplier WITHOUT KNOWING EXACTLY WHAT THE COSTS ARE GOING TO BE (apologies for the capitol letters .....)

It is absolutely vital that you take control of the shipping and make sure you know in advance what the costs are going to be. Otherwise it could become a very expensive exercise.

The suggestion to contact Maurice Ward is a good one, they are a good agent with standing in the freight forwarding community. I would ask them to quote you from FOB (port of loading) to your door in Ireland. They should be
    able to quote you the total costs (it may be a mixture of Us$ for the Oceanfreight and € for the charges in Ireland), including customs clearance.

alternatively I would be happy to give you a second opinion. In order to quote, would need to know ;

1) Port of shipment in China
    2) Place of delivery in Ireland
    3) Number of pieces, dimensions (LxWxH) and weight of the goods after packing
    4) Value

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Advertisement