Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gravel driveway

• 04-03-2013 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

I have a drive way covered with 804, blue dust, binding, I know there is various names for the same thing......just put on to tidy driveway before we moved in.

Any ways driveway is about a year old and weeds coming up through it.
    I want a gravel driveway, I know the stone I want and ready to get started.

My question is this, I want/need to put down a weed barrier (Terram I believe is the best out there) I just not sure on what I have to do as regards layers.

Do I just put down the barrier on top of what is there? Do I need to put something on top of the barrier before I put the gravel down?

There is about 4-5 inches space between existing level and the footpaths.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭brendan_donegal

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

No idea I'm afraid. Might post the question over on the building or diy forums, could get a bite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

I would have assumed that there is probably no need to put down any barrier as you already seem to have some sort of a barrier there with the 804.... As a precaution you could just put it down as is and then get the stone topped up to the remaining 4 - 5 inches and it should be good to go....

The only reason i am even giving an opinion is because i stoned my lawn recently with 3 - 4 inches of stone on top of the current grass and and used a weed barrier protection and NOTHING has come through it in 4 - 5 months....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

I have a drive way covered with 804, blue dust, binding, I know there is various names for the same thing......just put on to tidy driveway before we moved in.

I want a gravel driveway, I know the stone I want and ready to get started.

My question is this, I want/need to put down a weed barrier (Terram I believe is the best out there) I just not sure on what I have to do as regards layers.

Do I just put down the barrier on top of what is there? Do I need to put something on top of the barrier before I put the gravel down?

There is about 4-5 inches space between existing level and the footpaths.
    No need for the terram, spray the weeds first (with roundup or similiar) before you put the gravel down and let the weeds die back for about 3/4 weeks and then put your gravel directly on the 804, don't lay the gravel too deep, 1" to 2" will be fine depending on the size of gravel you choose, if you put it on deeper it will be difficult/awkward to walk on and car wheels will spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agree with david-k, I have gravel over hardcore and weeds do not come through. That doesn't mean that there are not a few weeds because they will eventually germinate in the gravel, but they are very easy to pull/rake out, they do not tend to put down long roots.

Also agree that you do not need 4 inches of gravel, what you will probably need is a top-up after about 12 months, when the gravel has settled. You do not have to continue doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭brendan_donegal

Thank you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

[\quote]

.[/quote]

Popular misconception in drives that weeds come UP(from under filling/804/blinding dust) and that terram type barriers prevent this from happening.
    weeds come in from above.
    Agree with above. No barrier needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

gravel only needs to be 1 inch thick ish any deeper and you will struggle to drive on it.

Spray the weeds now and lay the gravel in a few days, the weeds will continue to die under the gravel.

Then just spray a few times a year when you see weeds coming up, also you could spray with a pre-emergent once or twice a year (Pistol) is supposed to be good it not only kills any weeds showing but also prevents weed seeds in the gravel from germinating.

Advertisement