Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of buying in Ballyroan / Rathfarnham

Options
  • 04-03-2013 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Buying a home in Ballyroan.

Hi all, I am thinking of bidding on a house on Orchardstown Avenue. We have three children (8, 5, 3) and we have been searching around Rathfarnham, Templeogue etc. for a nice little area with amenities close by, shops good schools etc. Ballyroan / Orchardstown area seems to tick all the boxes for us but I would love to have insight from residents. What the schools are local schools like, is there any anti-social behaviour around the shops etc at night? are there many children living in the area, (my kids will need lots of play mates!), what is the community centre like? I am not from the area but like the look and feel of the place. I would appreciate any comments,.Thanks BC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

My family moved to Ballyroan about 16years ago and it's a great place to live. It is quite an old area but there are a lot more young families in recent years.

I went to primary and secondary school in Templeogue (10mins walk) and the schools were brill. Loads of choices around. The public transport to the city centre is pretty good.

Don't really know what the community centre is like but there always seems to be a lot going in and they've just reopened the library after about two years spent refurbishing it and it's beautiful. The chinese and chipper on Marian road are both unreal. You'll get teenagers hanging around the church and shops but I've never heard of any trouble and I've never felt threatened.

I think it's a great place!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 barbiewalker1

fonpokno
    Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I think my family will love it! Hopefully we can afford to move there... if we don't get outbid!

Barbara

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

where are you currently living op? Im currently living in rathfarnham, dundrum and churchtown are far superior all round in my opinion, but depends on what your budget is...

Hi Idbatterim, thanks for your response. I need to be close to Templeogue for schools. In what way to you think Churchtown and Dundrum are far superior? Thanks Barbara

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Idbatterim wrote: »
    where are you currently living op? Im currently living in rathfarnham, dundrum and churchtown are far superior all round in my opinion, but depends on what your budget is...

personally Id rather live in Rathfarnham (minus Whitechurch) than either Dundrum or Churchtown. None of them are bad areas so I think it comes down to personal preference.

• Advertisement

Hi D3PO, I have been looking into all of these areas for a while now while researching where to move to and Ballyroan and Butterfield, Marian areas of Rathfarnham have a lovely feel about them, lots of amenities and peaceful... oh how I love my peace and quiet!! Don't get much of it with 3 kids but I'll keep dreaming of a quiet life! Barbara

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

D3PO wrote: »

personally Id rather live in Rathfarnham (minus Whitechurch) than either Dundrum or Churchtown. None of them are bad areas so I think it comes down to personal preference.

Same here. Just personal preference. I'm living in Ballyroan since I was 7 and I'm 23 now and still love it. I can't really think of anywhere else I'd rather live. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I just prefer churchtown / dundrum as there is so much more there, close to Luas, M50, dundrum town centre, cinema, loads of primary and secondary schools, near UCD... Thats just my opinion though, Im in Rathfarnham now having lived in churchtown all my life and Im out of here once lease is up. then again Im late 20's and will have different priorities to someone raising a family...

You hit the nail on the, if i were in my 20's I'd want the Luas & Dundrum.... Now I'm excited about having a nice library.. how my life has changed!

fonpokno, It's to have someone who lives there say it is such a great place to live. Here's hoping I get my hands on a good house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

You hit the nail on the, if i were in my 20's I'd want the Luas & Dundrum.... Now I'm excited about having a nice library.. how my life has changed!

fonpokno, It's to have someone who lives there say it is such a great place to live. Here's hoping I get my hands on a good house.

your now looking at schools and libraries. :)

I also agree if I was a single twenty something Id opt for Dundrum too, but Im not :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement