Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mining Engineering MSc

• 04-03-2013 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi folks,

I'm considering applying to do an MSc in Mining Engineering at the University of Exeter next year. I'm currently in final year of a Mech Eng (Level 8) degree.

I was wondering if anyone here knew much about this in terms of how difficult it is to get a place, employment prospects, etc. I'm hoping that doing Mech Eng as opposed to Chem Eng won't hurt my chances.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 trumpettuba

JohnP1988 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm considering applying to do an MSc in Mining Engineering at the University of Exeter next year. I'm currently in final year of a Mech Eng (Level 8) degree.

I was wondering if anyone here knew much about this in terms of how difficult it is to get a place, employment prospects, etc. I'm hoping that doing Mech Eng as opposed to Chem Eng won't hurt my chances.

Any help appreciated, thanks.
    Hi JohnP1988;83499238, so you probably have graduated by now and got a job too, if you could help me that would be great thanks, would you recommend university of exeter a good uni considering of studying medicine there?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matthew1998

I'm also interested in Mining engineering! It seems to have pay similar to petroleum engineering with a better future. You can also travel around the world really easily....USA, Canada,Austrailia, NZ,Brazil and UK.

Would mechanical or civil be a more useful undergrad course? Many thanks!

EDIT: Sorry , just seen your interested in Medicine , not the course :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭onrail

I'm also interested in Mining engineering! It seems to have pay similar to petroleum engineering with a better future. You can also travel around the world really easily....USA, Canada,Austrailia, NZ,Brazil and UK.

Would mechanical or civil be a more useful undergrad course? Many thanks!

Civil Engineering or Geology would definitely be useful to bring into a Mining MSc, but thats not to say that Mechanical wouldn't work. I'd chose based on your interests.

As a career, you'd be doing well to gain employment in this country; but for any jobs going, you'd have little competition - Golder and SLR are the two main companies based in Ireland which do a bit of consultancy work in the sector.

I worked in the industry for a few years, travelling near and far, but left due to falling workload and a desire to stay employed in Ireland. It's not as volatile as the Petroleum Industry, but certainly not stable. Any questions, feel free to give me a pm.

Advertisement