Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Constitutional changes, the ones they don't want?

• 04-03-2013 4:54pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK, there's been discussion about the possible changes to the constitution, which is presuming that we are in favour of keeping the system that's in place at the moment.

Should we be looking for constitutional restrictions that require politicians to get agreement from the people for pay rises for their group (to be accurately defined) in excess of inflation + 1%.?

Should there be constitutional regulation of the systems of expenses and allowances and pensions for TD's?

Should there be constitutional regulation of the sanctions to be applied to TD's that breach or break the rules laid down in the constitution?

Should TD's that are shown to have acted inappropriately be disbarred from political office?

Should there be a requirement that if a petition is presented to the politicians with more than a given number of signatures, it has to be given due consideration within a constitutionally defined time scale?

We keep hearing that the politicians are there to act on behalf of the people.

We have seen in recent times that they have developed an insularity that "they" are different from the people, I would suggest that the best way to change that so that the people are again recognised as the reason they are there would be to have constitutional guarantees that would allow the people to call them to account in a more forceful and positive manner.

Too much, too soon, too harsh? I don't think so, given the abuses we've seen in recent years, and the lack of an effective mechanism to get the Government to take notice of the people over issues that are of concern to the people.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement