Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Married couple wanted for Mars trip

• 04-03-2013 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/mars-mission-tito-project-seeks-married-pair-202327790.html
    A married couple could be sent to Mars in as little as five years' time as part of a private mission backed by the world's first space tourist.

The voyage would take the husband and wife astronauts as close as 100 miles from the surface of Mars, but would not actually land them on the Red Planet.

They will need to get along - the expedition would see them cooped up for 16 months in a cramped space capsule.

Inspiration Mars, a non-profit venture, aims to make the most of the close approach of the orbits of Mars and the Earth, which happens once in a generation.

eh houston we have a problem...

i think this scenario would more likely put the space mission in danger having a married couple up in space for that length of time no? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Might help the couple work rest and play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

SamHall wrote: »
    Might help the couple work rest and play.

jesus that was terrible...

i'm gonna thank it though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Is it a gay couple, at bruno mars' request?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

davet82 wrote: »
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/mars-mission-tito-project-seeks-married-pair-202327790.html

eh houston we have a problem...

i think this scenario would more likely put the space mission in danger having a married couple up in space for that length of time no? :D

There'd only be one left when the ship arrives home after one of them "accidentally fell out".:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Why a married couple?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

kneemos wrote: »
    Why a married couple?

Cos you cant be having an unmarried couple cooped up together for 16 months on their own. They might have the sex and stuff ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Zero gravity sex, thats gotta be... interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'll go!

Now to find a wife. . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Where To wrote: »
    I'll go!

Now to find a wife. . . .

Ahem , may I offer you Mrs Mattjack ?
    Don't let her try parallel park ever.Even in space .

Chucken wrote: »
    Cos you cant be having an unmarried couple cooped up together for 16 months on their own. They might have the sex and stuff ;)

Could have two women,no one would mind.

• Advertisement

Chucken wrote: »

more chance of two straight blokes 'doing it' than a married couple :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I cant think of anything worse:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

No gay couples though, it's against God's wishes for it is written that a man and woman should.........eh...........float...........above Mars......................for 16 months...............*cough*

Whoever goes is going to die,there's just too many things to go wrong over sixteen months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

before they reach mars they could have had two kids. a four bed detached spaceship is it?

kneemos wrote: »
    Whoever goes is going to die,there's just too many things to go wrong over sixteen months.

with the spaceship or the relationship? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Things should be ok...so long as they dont send them to that horrible Planet of the Apes....hold on....Statue of Liberty....THAT WAS OUR PLANET!.....YOU MANIACS, YOU BLEW IT UP DAMN YOU DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Is this just a secret ploy to give birth in space? That would be f**king AWESOME!!!!!

antodeco wrote: »
    Is this just a secret ploy to give birth in space? That would be f**king AWESOME!!!!!

disgusting more like, could you imagine the mess in zero gravity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The controls and interior hull will be covered in shìt, piss, and placenta juice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Don't really see the point in heading close to mars and not actually landing.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    The controls and interior hull will be covered in shìt, piss, and placenta juice.

nice image, thanks duggy :P

OK, the mess would be gross, but imagine when the baby pops out. Would shoot out like a nerf gun, followed by the equivalent of tapping the end of a ketchup bottle. The baby, now floating, would bungee back due to lack of gravity. It would be like the Harlem Globetrotters playing with a yoyo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Blisterman wrote: »

Its an experiment to see if in the right conditions anyone will resort to necrophelia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'd imagine gravity plays a large part in the forming of a foetus, and a zero-g baby would be pretty deformed. It'd be interesting to witness though - maybe the next step in our evolution is adjusting to a zero gravity environment?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

before they reach mars they could have had two kids. a four bed detached spaceship is it?

All the more reason why it should be a gay couple, no need for a midwife to drop in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

TPD wrote: »
    I'd imagine gravity plays a large part in the forming of a foetus, and a zero-g baby would be pretty deformed. It'd be interesting to witness though - maybe the next step in our evolution is adjusting to a zero gravity environment?

A cone head?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

OK, the mess would be gross, but imagine when the baby pops out. Would shoot out like a nerf gun, followed by the equivalent of tapping the end of a ketchup bottle. The baby, now floating, would bungee back due to lack of gravity. It would be like the Harlem Globetrotters playing with a yoyo
    stunning post.

best I've read in years!

well done!

OK, forget the childbirth fallouts etc.

over a year.....

what if one were to die from natural causes.....

it HAPPENS.....

will there be a coffin hatch?

or will the deceaced just have to remain strapped into thier seat for the rest of the trip?

sorry, but a magic tree air freshener on the rear view mirror isn't going to cope with that!!

do space ships even have rear view mirrors?

this just gets more and more complicated!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Blisterman wrote: »

Because we have the technology to get to Mars right now. What we don't have is the ability to leave the planet once we land on it, that will take another 40-50 years for technology to mature.

We flew manned missions around the Moon and did mock landings before we ever landed on it. Ya got to crawl before you can walk.

over a year.....

it HAPPENS.....

or will the deceaced just have to remain strapped into thier seat for the rest of the trip?

sorry, but a magic tree air freshener on the rear view mirror isn't going to cope with that!!

good point.There must be a waste disposel somewhere all they could do is cut up the body and dump it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm sure the "what if someone dies" eventuality will be addressed.

Really what they want is two people who can spend 16 months in close quarters without emotional **** getting in the way. Send in two people who don't know eachother and they may find after a few months that they don't like eachother. Or they start riding eachother and then discover they don't like eachother and it becomes awkward.

Even two straight guys who don't start fiddling with eachother would need to find somewhere private to have some "personal time". I wouldn't really want to be giving myself a hand shandy with another dude 4 feet away pretending that nothing's happening. At least with a married couple that's not an issue.

A married couple with a track record will be able to ride and argue and still live comfortably in close quarters.

Though I imagine no matter how close you are, the first thing you'll both want to do when you get home is take a two week holiday on your own.

seamus wrote: »
    Though I imagine no matter how close you are, the first thing you'll both want to do when you get home is take a two week holiday on your own.

The first thing Id do is piss downwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It'll all go to crap when one of them decides to put the cat out.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

Its been done.... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

The first thing Id do is piss downwards!

You'd be lucky if you could even stand to piss downwards when you got back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

I'd go, for TWO WEEKS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

mattjack wrote: »
    Ahem , may I offer you Mrs Mattjack ?
    Don't let her try parallel park ever.Even in space .

Parallel parking in space is a LOT more difficult. Believe me, I've tried it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

over a year.....

it HAPPENS.....

They could pull in at the next service station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

davet82 wrote: »
    but would not actually land them on the Red Planet.

How thoughtful of them.

• Advertisement

over a year.....

it HAPPENS.....

Fuk me.. Good point.

wilson10 wrote: »
    All the more reason why it should be a gay couple, no need for a midwife to drop in.

you'd be stuck with the same asshole for sixteen months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

I don't have a husband i feel discriminated against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

It should be two people who have never met or have had any training to be an astronaut. Two competitors from a crappy relality show so humanity can show how far its moved forward and how far its gone backward at the same time.

I think two people from the freak show that is "Supersize v Superskinny" would be perfect, failing that Mulder and Scully due to thier alien expertiese.

HondaSami wrote: »
    I don't have a husband i feel discriminated against.

Send your complaint to the National Anti Sexist Agency.

over a year.....

it HAPPENS.....

that post really disturbed me

which part?

dead astronaut or no mirror to hang the air freshener on?

further thought....

if they had space suits they could just seal up the suit to keep the smell in.

see?

I think hard about this stuff.

NASA need minds like mine!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm just waiting for the day we get there and then another alien race comes along as asks us what the f*ck we think we're doing on their planet !! It'll be a great laugh, think of all the movies Michael Bay could make based on it !! :D

which part?

dead astronaut or no mirror to hang the air freshener on?

further thought....

if they had space suits they could just seal up the suit to keep the smell in.

see?

I think hard about this stuff.

NASA need minds like mine!!

Then you're confined in a tiny space with your dead companion quitely decomposing in the corner as you decend into madness,brilliant movie.

which part

eh all of it!

even with the space suit keeping the odor in, you'd still have a corpse sitting beside you and decaying for over a year, a bit traumatic to say the least! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement