Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

struggling to find work in canada

Options
  • 04-03-2013 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

job hunting is not going well at all for me. i hav sent loads of cv's to companies in canada but no success. i recently graduated from university and hav a masters degree in sustainable energies and green technologies and a honours degree in civil engineering. i hav been looking 4 about 2 months now and i was thinkin, shud i go over there as a holiday for around 3 weeks and search 4 a job? me at a loss what 2 do next:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

have you applied for the iec visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

you have very, very little chance of getting anything through applying from a different country with only educational achievements and no experience. Companies will only entertain the idea of getting someone in from overseas if they are vastly experienced or in a senior position. You would really need to be here & meet people face to face & network, and be prepared to wait months before being ofered a position. Between interview processes, red tape and the general attitude to taking their time with the process, Getting a job can take a lot longer than it would back home.
    Also, expecting to be offered a job on a 3 week holiday here is unrealistic. It took me 3 months from arriving before I started work.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭canadabound1

no, my looking at a temporary resident visa for 2 years and then hopefully apply for permanent visa. for the temporary visa, it says u hav 2 hav found employment first and then u can apply 4 visa. me regrettin goin this route, i shud hav went the iec route,lol

retalivity wrote: »
    you have very, very little chance of getting anything through applying from a different country with only educational achievements and no experience. Companies will only entertain the idea of getting someone in from overseas if they are vastly experienced or in a senior position. You would really need to be here & meet people face to face & network, and be prepared to wait months before being ofered a position. Between interview processes, red tape and the general attitude to taking their time with the process, Getting a job can take a lot longer than it would back home.
    Also, expecting to be offered a job on a 3 week holiday here is unrealistic. It took me 3 months from arriving before I started work.

ye, i just hav about 1 year work experience. my parents r on my back thinking me not trying hard enough to find work in canada,lol. after 2 months of applying for jobs in canada, me about to give up on the idea. i hav missed out on the iec visa route as well i think?

ye, i just hav about 1 year work experience. my parents r on my back thinking me not trying hard enough to find work in canada,lol. after 2 months of applying for jobs in canada, me about to give up on the idea. i hav missed out on the iec visa route as well i think?

How about oz or new zealand, its just not having a visa might be holding you back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

My gf is here since Nov and still looking for work in engineering, although shes mechanical, shes starting to get somewhere now, here its about networking, meeting people, shaking hands, its tough but it has to be done.

A business isn't going to hire someone whos 6000 miles away when they have people with visas, qualifications and experience on their doorstep, start saving, get your IEC and you'll be here this time next year, until then keep looking and getting your name noticed by these people.

gary27 wrote: »
    How about oz or new zealand, its just not having a visa might be holding you back?

ye, me thinkin about new zealand now but i only hav about 1 year work experience. just confused at the moment what 2 do and the months r flying by with no work,lol

ye, me thinkin about new zealand now but i only hav about 1 year work experience. just confused at the moment what 2 do and the months r flying by with no work,lol

i would head to new zealand if canada wasn't an option, what have you got to lose and can always apply next year for the iec.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

For christ sake stop saying me instead of im how old are you 5?

shamrock55 wrote: »

I nearly thought it was "me" you were refering to :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

We were all thinking it, shamrock just had the balls to say it!!!

gary27 wrote: »
    i would head to new zealand if canada wasn't an option, what have you got to lose and can always apply next year for the iec.

ur right gary, thanks 4 the advice

ye, how did u know, how about you take that stick out of ur backside, it will unblock some of that anger u holdin in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kazoo2001

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    My gf is here since Nov and still looking for work in engineering, although shes mechanical, shes starting to get somewhere now, here its about networking, meeting people, shaking hands, its tough but it has to be done.

A business isn't going to hire someone whos 6000 miles away when they have people with visas, qualifications and experience on their doorstep, start saving, get your IEC and you'll be here this time next year, until then keep looking and getting your name noticed by these people.

Hi there I have just received my visa nxt getting organised to go can u or your gf have advise on websites I should register with for work and maybe networking events ye could recommend? Any help would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

With a comment like that i am surprised no 1 has bothered to reply to you since;)
    not being smart but did you get your cv checked if you have a lot of grammar mistakes that could cost ya. mate if i were you i would head for the coal mines of new zealand with a degree like yours you would walk a job no bother and you would be specializing in a very good area:D i no if i had your degree thats where i would be going:)

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    With a comment like that i am surprised no 1 has bothered to reply to you since;)
    not being smart but did you get your cv checked if you have a lot of grammar mistakes that could cost ya. mate if i were you i would head for the coal mines of new zealand with a degree like yours you would walk a job no bother and you would be specializing in a very good area:D i no if i had your degree thats where i would be going:)

the other guy was been smart, he needed puttin down a peg or 2. wasn't my best reply but job searching for months doesnt help. anyways, thanks very much for ur reply, i really appreciate it. just wondering do, where r the main jobs for the coal mines in new zealand or websites looking for work in the coal mines?thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭helpme23

Me want to go to Canada Me like Canada........

the other guy was been smart, he needed puttin down a peg or 2. wasn't my best reply but job searching for months doesnt help. anyways, thanks very much for ur reply, i really appreciate it. just wondering do, where r the main jobs for the coal mines in new zealand or websites looking for work in the coal mines?thanks

Ha i am only messing with ya bud its all banter here. dude you could be many jobs with that degree you could be taken on as an environmental asseer on how the coal is impacting the environment you could be take on as a mechanical manager plenty of roles you could use your degree to get a start. i would love to work in mines:)

Coal mining produced 5.3 millions tonnes of coal in 2010, of which over 2 million tonnes were exported. New Zealand coal reserves are in excess of 15 billion tonnes, mainly in Waikato, Taranaki, West Coast, Otago and Southland. Over 80% of the reserves are in Southland lignite deposits worth $100 billion. Coal is produced from four underground and 21 opencast mines.The largest coal mining company is Solid Energy, a state-owned enterprise. try all them places i have in bold you will find more info online just type in coal mines new zealand and keep hustleing buddy and something will come up:)

So as you can see there is coin to make for the right candidate i would try solid energy first and take it from there be warned though it is a deadly job sadly 29 people died in 2010 in such a incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 hacker21

Canadabound1,
    Hi have you tried this crowd http://www.osborne.ie/
    They are advertising jobs for Austrailia & Canada, don't know anything about them but might be somewhere to start your search.
    Good Luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

ye, how did u know, how about you take that stick out of ur backside, it will unblock some of that anger u holdin in :D

If you are going to go onto a public internet forum, complain about your employment prospects and talk like a 5 year old then people are going to make first impressions. Tbh I am not surprised you are not having much luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Mod note:
    Right folks, we will leave it there with regards to the OP's posting style.

@canadabound1, gentle reminder about the Charter for this forum:
    TXTspeak is not allowed on this forum for the benefit of all readers. Please take the time to format your responses in a manner that makes them readable to others. Saying that though we all make spelling mistakes, don't stress about these, you can go back and edit posts etc afterwards if you notice it.
    Please try to make your posts more readable when posting, as the easier it is for posters to read your posts, the more likely they are to respond to your queries etc.
    Any questions/comments etc Please P/M me.
    Thanks guys,
    Panthro

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tinkerspony

job hunting is not going well at all for me. i hav sent loads of cv's to companies in canada but no success. i recently graduated from university and hav a masters degree in sustainable energies and green technologies and a honours degree in civil engineering. i hav been looking 4 about 2 months now and i was thinkin, shud i go over there as a holiday for around 3 weeks and search 4 a job? me at a loss what 2 do next:confused:

Get to Calgary Alberta, start as a labourer on a jobsite, tell them you are a civil engineer and you will fly it. You will get around 23-26 an hour as a labourer and sky's the limit as an engineer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

Get to Calgary Alberta, start as a labourer on a jobsite, tell them you are a civil engineer and you will fly it. You will get around 23-26 an hour as a labourer and sky's the limit as an engineer.

are you in calgary at the moment?

Op has said he has no visa so thats out of the question;)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

A labouring job in Calgary ? would'nt recommend that to anyone with the weather here. $26 a hr labouring ??????

why not sure thats a great way of makeing money better then working in a warehouse for 14:D... i dont no about 26 but must laboureing jobs i were in contact with were 18-22 with the most 20 flat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    why not sure thats a great way of makeing money better then working in a warehouse for 14:D... i dont no about 26 but must laboureing jobs i were in contact with were 18-22 with the most 20 flat :D

From what I seen here labourers are expected to work outdoors in all sorts of weather like snowing and -30 ! can you imagine that ?

I know guys here who worked like slaves for $14 so I hate to see what you be doing for $20 ! plus labouring you dont get benefits or anything . Your litterally competing with people from all over the world who are happy working 12 hour days for peanuts

Why not work indoors like a bar or serving in a restaurant , laughing and joking for decent money + tips while meeting nice people

jeez mate your painting quite a different picture from the company's themselves are telling me and others on the ground i no that are working in labourer. if some offered me 14$ labourer i would laugh at them i would rather work in a warm shop packing selfs for thay:). you would want to be geting a least 18-20 to make it worthwhile yea sure why not do both work bar at nights:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

$26 an hour once taxed won't get you too far in Canada

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

COYVB wrote: »
    $26 an hour once taxed won't get you too far in Canada
    26 an hour is fine for a single person in Canada.

Advertisement