Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

struggling to find work in canada

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

it will get you a lot further then 188 on the dole will get ya anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    it will get you a lot further then 188 on the dole will get ya anyway:D

Hear, Hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

COYVB wrote: »
    $26 an hour once taxed won't get you too far in Canada

Do you wipe your ass with gold leaf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Do you wipe your ass with gold leaf?

Give it a go and see how far it gets you with a decent apartment, a car, insurance etc

It's not as much as it sounds. Trust me. I make almost twice that and I'm far, far from being considered well off or a high earner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭murraykil

Give it a go and see how far it gets you with a decent apartment, a car, insurance etc

It's not as much as it sounds. Trust me. I make almost twice that and I'm far, far from being considered well off or a high earner

$1k a week in cash and not well off! :pac: You shouldn't have gone for marble counter tops!

• Advertisement

Where in Canada are you? Your squandering somewhere. Myself and my gf are more then comfortable here without much thought to our incomes, shes on $13 and mine varies wildly because I bartend.

If you have a car (which we don't), a nice place all to yourself (not sharing), you smoke etc your not going to have much money. As far as I'm concerned if you can't be comfortable on over a grand a week your definatly doing something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

You make almost double $26 an hour and you say you are struggling? $26 an hour is over a grand a week. What job do you do and what are you spending your money on? TTC workers in Toronto don't get a lot more than $26 an hour and they are very well paid.

if i am not making 52$ an hour or more when i get to canada **** that i will be coming back to Ireland to sign onto the dole haha:D

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

I be happy making $26 an hour never mind twice that :)

Eutow wrote: »
    You make almost double $26 an hour and you say you are struggling

I didn't say that. I said I'm not considered a high earner or well off

• Advertisement

i suppose its each to there rich people will always find ways to spend there money be it going up there noises or buying the fanciest house cars etc. i plan on driving at some stage but if i get a job 18-22 it will be perfect for me and i will have a good life and be left over with some to save:D which will then be used to set me up with a car etc:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

$26 p/h, how much would you come out with per week after tax?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

zweton wrote: »
    $26 p/h, how much would you come out with per week after tax?
    about 22per hour with tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

26 per hour would be grand, loads to have a grand style of life. i was on 28 something a while back and for a flat 40 hour week that was about 850 after tax

i suppose its each to there rich people will always find ways to spend there money be it going up there noises or buying the fanciest house cars etc. i plan on driving at some stage but if i get a job 18-22 it will be perfect for me and i will have a good life and be left over with some to save:D which will then be used to set me up with a car etc:D

It's more that certain things are quite expensive here. Like $4.50ish for 2 litres of milk, or $20+ for decent cuts of meat, or $2500+ for insurance per year

is that the whole of canada or just where your based?;) Like $4.50ish for 2 litres of milk, or $20+ for decent cuts of meat like really?????:o

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

cost of living here is quite expensive for sure , one reson the wages are higher , id say it works out the same as home . dont no how familys can come out here to live on a standard wage as there are hugh costs invloved .

T

Thank god i am a single buck in my early 20's so:D

is that the whole of canada or just where your based?;) Like $4.50ish for 2 litres of milk, or $20+ for decent cuts of meat like really?????:o

Seems to be Canada wide. I live in the GTA in Ontario, but I'm in BC the odd time on business and it's much the same there too. Of course certain things are cheaper, and if you're thrifty you can save a few bob, but the cost of living is higher than many people expect moving over, with work trickier to come by than seems to be portrayed in the media back home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭murraykil

The more you earn, the more you spend! :pac:

• Advertisement

not if you have a smart head on your shoulders and are there to make money save like a dog for 2 years and return home to Ireland with a nice nestegg;) i no i wont be pissing my hard earned dollars up against a wall 2 or 3 nights a week;)

It's more that certain things are quite expensive here. Like $4.50ish for 2 litres of milk, or $20+ for decent cuts of meat, or $2500+ for insurance per year

Yes milk is that much, $8 for 4l, meat isn't that bad, 4 good quality pork chops for $7, 6 chicken breasts for $12. Mince and stewing beef is very good quality here and is very reasonably priced, we make massive stews/bolognaise/chillis and freeze it in portions.
    But the cost of living is higher than many people expect moving over, with work trickier to come by than seems to be portrayed in the media back home

The cost of living is higher then people expect, but it seems we've had different experiences in our respective areas. It is harder to get work then people expect.
    i no i wont be pissing my hard earned dollars up against a wall 2 or 3 nights a week;)

I don't believe you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Im earning more than $26/hr, but I'm supporting 2 people, not just myself. I do ok.
    However, if i was in Toronto (or Van from what I hear of it), i would probably be struggling.

a single man/woman not being able to live on 26/hr must have some serious outgoings on 'essentials' & has noone to blame but themselves imo

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

To put things into perspective in Alberta the minimum wage is $9.75 a hour . So $20 is considered decent money .
    I'm interested to know what type of companies are offering labourers $20+ / hr starting ?!

Phones and banks are others things that are much more expensive here than home

rusheen wrote: »
    To put things into perspective in Alberta the minimum wage is $9.75 a hour . So $20 is considered decent money .
    I'm interested to know what type of companies are offering labourers $20+ / hr starting ?!

Phones and banks are others things that are much more expensive here than home

Yeh I know Ross has done his research but from the little asking around I've done labourers tend to start closer to the $15 mark and can work up. Some can get more if their in very good shape and can work alot harder or have a **** load of experience but apperently thats very rare. A day bartender can make that, but you'd want to be a very good bartender, and he'll make tips on top of that.

have a look through any job site and you will see labourer positions offering 18-22$ per hour.

jeez mate your painting quite a different picture from the company's themselves are telling me and others on the ground i no that are working in labourer. if some offered me 14$ labourer i would laugh at them i would rather work in a warm shop packing selfs for thay:). you would want to be geting a least 18-20 to make it worthwhile yea sure why not do both work bar at nights:D

Just wanted to answer this, you won't get $14 an hour for stacking shelves, also a bar manager isn't going to hire a labourer for a full time position, you'd be falling asleep on the job.

right then $9.75 or whatever the wage is:D can you not get a job for a fri or sat night as bar hand? picking up classes and wipeing tables carrying up crates etc?..

Heres 2 labour jobs in the 18-22$ one even requires no experiance:o or a licence and is on the publictransport route:D

(1)General construction labourer
    Terms of Employment: Permanent, Full Time, Shift, Weekend, Day, Night, Evening
    Salary: $20.00 Hourly for 44 hours per week
    Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible
    Alberta
    (5 vacancies )

Skill Requirements:
    Education: Some high school
    Credentials (certificates, licences, memberships, courses, etc.): Not required
    Experience: No experience
    Languages: Read English
    Type of Construction: Industrial, commercial and institutional
    Weight Handling: Up to 9 kg (20 lbs)
    Specific Skills: Load, unload and transport construction materials, Erect and dismantle concrete forms, scaffolding, ramps, catwalks shoring and barricades, Mix, pour and spread materials, Assist heavy equipment operators, Assist in drilling and blasting rock, Assist in framing houses, erecting walls and building roofs, Assist in demolishing buildings, Clean and pile salvaged materials, Clean up chemical spills and other contaminants, Remove rubble and other debris at construction sites, Tend or feed machines or equipment used in construction, Direct traffic at or near construction sites
    Transportation/Travel Information: Public transportation is available
    Essential Skills: Working with others, Continuous learning

(2)Terms of Employment: Permanent, Full Time, Shift, Day
    Salary: $19.00 Hourly for 40 hours per week, As per collective agreement
    Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible
    Alberta
    (8 vacancies )

Skill Requirements:
    Education: Completion of high school
    Credentials (certificates, licences, memberships, courses, etc.): Not applicable, Not required
    Experience: 7 months to less than 1 year
    Languages: Speak English, Read English, Write English
    Weight Handling: Up to 23 kg (50 lbs)
    Specific Skills: Load, unload and transport construction materials, Erect and dismantle concrete forms, scaffolding, ramps, catwalks shoring and barricades, Mix, pour and spread materials
    Security and Safety: Criminal record check
    Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Fast-paced environment, Tight deadlines, Repetitive tasks, Handling heavy loads, Physically demanding, Manual dexterity
    Work Site Environment: Outdoors, At heights, Confined spaces, Dangerous, Dusty
    Transportation/Travel Information: Own transportation, Public transportation is not available
    Essential Skills: Reading text, Oral communication, Working with others, Problem solving, Critical thinking, Job task planning and organizing, Finding information, Continuous learning

Other Information: Reliable individuals required. Must be able to work varied shifts and clear a background check

So there seems to be a few around and i am sure with experience in laboureing you could even get a bit more as the first job is offering 20 and no experience wanted :D

right then $9.75 or whatever the wage is:D can you not get a job for a fri or sat night as bear back? picking up classes and wipeing tables carrying up crates etc?..

Heres 2 labour jobs in the 18-22$ one even requires no experiance:o or a licence and is on the publictransport route:D

So there seems to be a few around and i am sure with experience in laboureing you could even get a bit more as the first job is offering 20 and no experience wanted :D

Just ask the other fella if he's allright going bear back :D

You might be able to get into a bar. It depends on you and it depends on the employers. Here it's very competitive, its about who you know and with no experience it'll be difficult. Here barbacks don't really pick up glasses, its more like being the whipping boy, ours get run ragged but we try make it up to them, its not that way everywhere. Even if you get into a bar it may not be worth your while as in many bars the staff don't make great money. Then if you have a greedy bartender or one who thinks your not working hard enough you won't make money anyway.

Don't go by job ads on Kijiji, in many cases those jobs aren't available at the moment. Also just because it says no transport required dosn't mean the boss would rather you not have a car. I'm not trying to burst your bubble, just be prepared that it won't be as easy to get something as is portrayed constantly in media and online. You will find something but it may not be the dream job.

• Advertisement

[QUOTE)Martyn1989;83601776 just ask the other fella if he's allright going bear back :D[QUOTE)

You might be able to get into a bar. It depends on you and it depends on the employers. Here it's very competitive, its about who you know and with no experience it'll be difficult. Here barbacks don't really pick up glasses, its more like being the whipping boy, ours get run ragged but we try make it up to them, its not that way everywhere. Even if you get into a bar it may not be worth your while as in many bars the staff don't make great money. Then if you have a greedy bartender or one who thinks your not working hard enough you won't make money anyway.

Don't go by job ads on Kijiji, in many cases those jobs aren't available at the moment. Also just because it says no transport required dosn't mean the boss would rather you not have a car. I'm not trying to burst your bubble, just be prepared that it won't be as easy to get something as is portrayed constantly in media and online. You will find something but it may not be the dream job.[/QUOTE}

Dear god there will be none of that unless a willing girl is found in the nightclub hahahhaha... whats the job called where your the lowest haha haha is it BEER Backs or barbacks.the job where ya need no bar experience picking up classes and general cleaning is what i would like thats what i would like on a weekend nigh:D

Really i no some of them are dodge but are they all dodge on kijji?:o

Advertisement