Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

struggling to find work in canada

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Just ask the other fella if he's allright going bear back :D

Don't go by job ads on Kijiji, in many cases those jobs aren't available at the moment. Also just because it says no transport required dosn't mean the boss would rather you not have a car. I'm not trying to burst your bubble, just be prepared that it won't be as easy to get something as is portrayed constantly in media and online. You will find something but it may not be the dream job.

Exactly !
    Just because theres a few jobs advertised $20/hr in general labourers start at $14 . average pay is $18/hr and they work very hard for that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

yea that's true just most i have seen are 20$ and a good few warehouse ones are 14-16$ i am fully aware how hard they are i spent a couple of years of my apprenticeship working in the mines in Ireland so hopefully i no what hard work is:D but i get what your saying completely:D i have been looking in to this for months its not like i have just decided on it overnight.

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    yea that's true just most i have seen are 20$ and a good few warehouse ones are 14-16$ i am fully aware how hard they are i spent a couple of years of my apprenticeship working in the mines in Ireland so hopefully i no what hard work is:D but i get what your saying completely:D i have been looking in to this for months its not like i have just decided on it overnight.

Ya you'll be sound when you get here . We all came here to escape dull ireland and try and make a few dollars .
    But I think we've all been surprised how actually expensive everything here is ! taxes. food , rent , bottle deposits, banks, phones !

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

rusheen wrote: »

Ya you'll be sound when you get here . We all came here to escape dull ireland and try and make a few dollars .
    But I think we've all been surprised how actually expensive everything here is ! taxes. food , rent , bottle deposits, banks, phones !

Ill Nexted that

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tinkerspony

PCL builders in Calgary are offering labourers with experience 26/hour and they have lots of work. Sure you will have to work for your money but whats wrong with that. Credit unions offer free banking...check out FirstCalgary Financial. You dont need to shop in high end stores for expensive food. Car insurance is around 700 per year as they will take your driving experience into account. They have registration not road tax which is around 70/year no maTter what the car is. Petrol is half the cost of Ireland. You can eat out quite inexpensively. Milk is around 4.50 for 4 litres (cheaper than home). Stop going to agencies for labouring jobs...they offer 12 to 14/hour. Go to main contractor with cv. I work in Calgary since 2010 so please dont tell me I dont know what I'm talking about. For anyone interested I can set you up with a few phone numbers. If you work as a labourer for 14/hour you need to re think things.

• Advertisement

PCL builders in Calgary are offering labourers with experience 26/hour and they have lots of work. Sure you will have to work for your money but whats wrong with that. Credit unions offer free banking...check out FirstCalgary Financial. You dont need to shop in high end stores for expensive food. Car insurance is around 700 per year as they will take your driving experience into account. They have registration not road tax which is around 70/year no maTter what the car is. Petrol is half the cost of Ireland. You can eat out quite inexpensively. Milk is around 4.50 for 4 litres (cheaper than home). Stop going to agencies for labouring jobs...they offer 12 to 14/hour. Go to main contractor with cv. I work in Calgary since 2010 so please dont tell me I dont know what I'm talking about. For anyone interested I can set you up with a few phone numbers. If you work as a labourer for 14/hour you need to re think things.

Car insurance $700 per year ? is that when you have full alberta license for about 5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

What about the Chinook Wind ?

rusheen wrote: »
    Car insurance $700 per year ? is that when you have full alberta license for about 5 years?
    No ! I brought no claims bonus from home and applied it to my first car on a new alberta driving licence. 700 fully comp with a 250 deductible. Do your homework

No ! I brought no claims bonus from home and applied it to my first car on a new alberta driving licence. 700 fully comp with a 250 deductible. Do your homework

Nice can you pm me the insurance company:)

Anthony Clark Insurance Brokers in Calgary and Cochrane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

whats the job called where your the lowest haha haha is it BEER Backs or barbacks.the job where ya need no bar experience picking up classes and general cleaning is what i would like thats what i would like on a weekend nigh:D

Really i no some of them are dodge but are they all dodge on kijji?:o

They're called bar backs or bar assisstents (BA's) and its the job people get when they've no experience but its better to have one with experience because they know what they're doing etc.

No they're not all dodgy but people throw stuff up and never even look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 totsy88

have a look through any job site and you will see labourer positions offering 18-22$ per hour.

Dont give away the plan man :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Oh dont worry i am not bud sure its on the web in black and white ya just gota do your homework;):D the oil rigs now will be a different story;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

How are college graduates doing in the major cities? Is it absolutely pivotal having experience before applying? A few years ago in Ireland that wasn't needed, now it is. Though, if I need professional experience first, that could be hard, if I had that I wouldn't need to leave. I'm interested in Vancouver mostly, my degree is international business & languages (not French) and I'm told Vancouver or Toronto would offer better opportunities with that degree (I'm more interested in Van). Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭greenteaicedtea

I don't know, turning up your nose at $26 an hour is unrealistic. I've been at my job for 10 years and I make about $30 an hour and I'm thrilled with it.

The problem is, when you have debt, and try to pay for car insurance, and cable TV & cellphones. The cable & car insurance folks are gouging us, if you ask me.

We got rid of the car, they jacked up my boyfriend's car insurance when he got a few tickets, it was just too expensive. I'd love to get rid of the cable too and save more money, you can get 8-10 HD channels over the air in Toronto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

There's no need to have cable in this day and age, nor is there any need to have home/cell phone or internet with Rogers or Bell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

ye, how did u know, how about you take that stick out of ur backside, it will unblock some of that anger u holdin in :D

I THINK ITS SAFE TO SAY YOU WONT BE GETTING A JOB AS AN ENGLISH TEACHER IN CANADA

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

COYVB wrote: »
    There's no need to have cable in this day and age, nor is there any need to have home/cell phone or internet with Rogers or Bell

QFT.

Been here 2 years and still havent bought a tv.
    And rodgers and bell are awful expensive companies with awful service

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

retalivity wrote: »
    QFT.

Been here 2 years and still havent bought a tv.
    And rodgers and bell are awful expensive companies with awful service

Without being smart , does that mean you dont have a mobile phone?

Without being smart , does that mean you dont have a mobile phone?

There are more mobile providers than those two. Koodo, for example, is who I'm with and for $57 a month I get unlimited calls to me and from me in Canada (no long distance zones with them), unlimited international texts, voicemail, caller display, call waiting, and 2GB of data

My wife, who is with Rogers on a student plan, pays $97 for 150 minutes (although it's unlimited to the 10 people on her friends and family list), 500 texts (same deal with the friends list), voicemail, caller display, call waiting and 1GB of data. She's currently stuck in that plan until they up the rates (which is a get out of jail free card over here, you can legally cancel your contract on the spot), or until July 2014

• Advertisement

yeah i know that fido are rodgers, and virgin mobile are actually bell(I think?)

I am with fido and they've not been great, but switching means deactivation, reactiviation fees, new terms etc, so ive just complained to them non-stop until they offered me a new deal. Ive kept well away from a data plan too, as that seems to be what drives people bills up hugely.

yeah i know that fido are rodgers, and virgin mobile are actually bell(I think?)

I am with fido and they've not been great, but switching means deactivation, reactiviation fees, new terms etc, so ive just complained to them non-stop until they offered me a new deal. Ive kept well away from a data plan too, as that seems to be what drives people bills up hugely.

Switching doesn't mean a new term. Koodo, for example, are non-term based providers. You're not tied to a contract, and you can leave whenever you want

COYVB wrote: »
    Switching doesn't mean a new term. Koodo, for example, are non-term based providers. You're not tied to a contract, and you can leave whenever you want

yeah but there are activiation fees to start afresh, and get new number/sim card etc, no?

yeah but there are activiation fees to start afresh, and get new number/sim card etc, no?

port your old number :)

activation plus sim won't cost you more than $20, plus they're likely to waive that for you if you go into future shop to do it. that's what they did for me anyway

Advertisement