Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toronto on a budget?

Options
  • 04-03-2013 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Ok so I have booked 2 weeks in Toronto for this July and was wondering are there any decent things to do there without breaking the bank, as it seems to be quite an expensive place to go. Im talking about cheap cafes for breakfast. cheap museums, cheap clubs etc, basically any advice on the best things to do outside your usual standard touristy events (CN Tower, Niagra) that are enjoyable but not too expensive? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

avoid going out downtown. if you are going out, go out sun-wed when a lot of the pubs have deals/offers on beers and food. i always found that the annex and bloor out to ossington have a few cool bars that wont break the bank.
    for eating out, a lot of the small ethnic restaurants are ridiculously cheap for the amound of food you get - korean, vietnamese, colombian, etc, you can get well fed for under a tenner.
    for food, shop in no-frills/food basics/price chopper if they are near. for fruit, veg & meat, check out the asian supermarkets. Also, go into the likes of metro, sobeys in the evning & check the meat. A lot of the big butchers mark down the meat that is due to expire and ive often bought tbone steaks for a dollar and thrown them in the freezer

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kev33

Toronto island is a decent trip, $6 dollars return and ye get a ferry out, nice scenery and you can see the city from a distance, looks great just as it gets dark. Bit of decent weather and your sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Some free stuff here run by the city.

The AGO has a 'free 1st Thursday' each month. Never been but been meaning to check it out.

The ROM is discounted on Friday nights, after 4:30 (Permanent collection only.)

There's free movies in the Harbour Front all summer (I'd doubt details will be up yet, but might be worth checking out).

'Shakespeare in the Park': a play runs throughout the summer in High Park (Don't know what it will be this year, was A Midsummer Night's Dream last year). There's no fix entry fee, but they ask you donate on entry. They recommend $20, but if money is tight I'm sure $5 or $10 would be ok.

For food, as retalivity said, try some of the ethnics places. You cant beat a good feed of Pho for $6!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

For food, as retalivity said, try some of the ethnics places. You cant beat a good feed of Pho for $6!

$6??!!! I'm getting ripped off with my $7.25 stuff in London!
    Also, for some reason i thought the OP was moving to Toronto, not coming for 2 weeks only. Probably no point freezing a tbone then!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

retalivity wrote: »
    $6??!!! I'm getting ripped off with my $7.25 stuff in London!
    Also, for some reason i thought the OP was moving to Toronto, not coming for 2 weeks only. Probably no point freezing a tbone then!

In fairness, the $6 didn't include tax! Or a tip!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement