Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk part company with Off The Ball team

Comments

deisedude wrote: »
    I doubt they have been poached. Presenters wouldn't go with immediate effect because of that.

Rumoured here to be a dispute over scheduling

http://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2013/0304/372427-newstalks-off-the-ball-staff-resign/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

6pm start refused confirmed as the reason for resigning (by the replacement presenter)... Seems like an ultimatum that backfired to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Keyzer wrote: »
    This sucks monkey gonads.

I fricken love this show. Gilroy and the mercenaries brought in to keep it going dont have a patch on the lads.

Seriously, a sad day...

Gilroy started the programme!

Sad day - hopefully they'll show up on another station with the same format soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    6pm start refused confirmed as the reason for resigning (by the replacement presenter)... Seems like an ultimatum that backfired to me

It seems to me like quite a small reason for the whole team to resign? Surely 1 hour doesn't make that much of a difference?

6pm start refused confirmed as the reason for resigning... Seems like an ultimatum that backfired to me

Newstalk will get hammered on listenership though in the short term and maybe also the long term. I think the lads are brilliant and when you have an award winning team that good then they should be given a bit of flexibility

Gilroy started the programme!

Sad day - hopefully they'll show up on another station with the same format soon.

Gilroy isnt a bad sort tbf but he just doesnt bring the same excitement as Mcdevitt or Murph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

that's Newstalk's side to the story anyway. We should wait to hear what the lads have to say as well. Their story might be different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Newstalk will get hammered on listenership though in the short term and maybe also the long term. I think the lads are brilliant and when you have an award winning team that good then they should be given a bit of flexibility

I agree. I'll be glad if they go somewhere else same format. It means I won't have to accidentally listen to George Hook anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I like sport as much as the next guy, but half the reason I listened to the show was down to the personalities involved.

With the new line up, this show is going to die on it's arse. A sports show isn't as successful as OTB was purely based on its sport content. Yeah, from now on, I might listen the odd night...maybe. But every night? No fcuking way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Anyone find it somewhat strange that RTÉ are reporting on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Dave! wrote: »

Forgot about the Irish Times radio channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

So we get to not have to listen to Ken Early and his pseudo controversial opinions anymore?

#totesdevo.

The over reaction is brilliant. Gilroy, the man who started the show, is a scab and a mercenary apparently.

I hope the show continues its success regardless of who is presenting it.

gimmick wrote: »
    So we get to not have to listen to Ken Early and his pseudo controversial opinions anymore?

#totesdevo.

The over reaction is brilliant. Gilroy, the man who started the show, is a scab and a mercenary apparently.

I hope the show continues its success regardless of who is presenting it.

Dont kid yourself. It just wont be as successful. The dynamic between those lads is nigh on impossible to get on any show in either radio or tv.
    I really hope whatever station is lucky enough to get these prize assets will give them the same freedom that Newstalk gave them. Wonderful show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Bigger show in town, RTE. If that is the case, the show will not and cannot be the same.

Either way it's gone off the boil in recent times.

• Advertisement

Anyone find it somewhat strange that RTÉ are reporting on this?
    Dave! wrote: »

The internet is gone mad with these news. Twitter has exploded. I was listening to Newstalk earlier and when i heard it from George Hook i was so disgusted i switched the radio off.

Had no idea that OTB had that kind of following though. i thought perhaps it had a steady cult following. I remember working in a monotonous factory job a few years back and one of the things that used get me through the night is half 7 lunch where i could just go to the car, switch on the radio and just escape from it all for that half an hour and listen to the lads.

Recently ive been doing college assignments in the library and had the headphones on with OTB every night. Thank god im nearly finished my assignments because id have nothing to get me through it now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I really dont like Ken Early he is awful, still liked the program and good guests on it

Shame, im sure the world will move on

Seems like a silly move by them, if its over scheduling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I liked the half an hour with Johnny Giles. I liked listening to Johnny Giles, he is honest about what's going on even if he is stuck in his ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

sounds more like a strategic exit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm sure they'll have the same contributors, the presenters are gone not the show. The only reason I can think of why they wouldn't of moved to 6 is because it would have taken from Matt Cooper.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I'm sure they'll have the same contributors, the presenters are gone not the show. The only reason I can think of why they wouldn't of moved to 6 is because it would have taken from Matt Cooper.

Not Cooper. George Hook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

niallo27 wrote: »
    I liked the half an hour with Johnny Giles. I liked listening to Johnny Giles, he is honest about what's going on even if he is stuck in his ways.

Betcha Giles still starts every second sentence with 'Eoin'.

This is a big loss to Newstalk, those lads were good broadcasters but seemed like genuine ordinary sports fans.

Find it strange that they would resign immediately over pitching for a move to 6 and not getting it.

Sure that's just negotiation, so there must be something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I'm sure they'll have the same contributors, he presenters are gone not the show. The only reason I can think of why they wouldn't of moved to 6 is because it would have taken from Matt Cooper.

I think the show will survive. They just need to replace Eoin, A good front man and they'll be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

This should be in the relationship forum really.

devo.

Loved to listen back the next day while I was working.

Used to volunteer lifts between 7 - 10 just so I could listen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Leiva wrote: »
    Not Cooper. George Hook
    Cooper is on the sister channel, you'd have two popular shows competing with each other which could effect sponsorship.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

The presenters were the show.

It'll just devolve into a generic sports show, lose ratings, lose advertising, and get cut to two hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Its like accounts talking , not.sports broadcasting .

Regardless of what Off The Ball does, it's only a matter of time before OTB (Mark one) make an appearance somewhere else, and the slow demise of the current OTB will begin.

I think they're all going to go to sh!t anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

murpho999 wrote: »
    Betcha Giles still starts every second sentence with 'Eoin'.

This is a big loss to Newstalk, those lads were good broadcasters but seemed like genuine ordinary sports fans.

Find it strange that they would resign immediately over pitching for a move to 6 and not getting it.

Sure that's just negotiation, so there must be something else.

Said in the papers they offered to see out their 8 weeks but were told no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

The internet is gone mad with these news. Twitter has exploded. I was listening to Newstalk earlier and when i heard it from George Hook i was so disgusted i switched the radio off.

Had no idea that OTB had that kind of following though. i thought perhaps it had a steady cult following. I remember working in a monotonous factory job a few years back and one of the things that used get me through the night is half 7 lunch where i could just go to the car, switch on the radio and just escape from it all for that half an hour and listen to the lads.

Recently ive been doing college assignments in the library and had the headphones on with OTB every night. Thank god im nearly finished my assignments because id have nothing to get me through it now :(

Just trying to imagine you during Roy Keane/Saipan:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Said in the papers they offered to see out their 8 weeks but were told no.

Couldn't really allow them the opportunity to be unprofessional and sully the station with that type of platform, particularly if their exit was in anyway acrimonious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

They must be going on TV. RTE makes no sense. I imagine they will still do a podcast but the team will be more focused on TV. I can't see them on the radio unless they are going to do radio in the UK.

It's a shame because we're not going to get the same free formula that worked so well for all the guys on the show.

I wonder would they do a podcast in the meantime? Charge a couple of quid per episode maybe?

Dunno if they'd get enough out of it to make it a full-time endeavour (certainly not for 5 of them), but there's not exactly much of a barrier to setting it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I had to go to the shop at halftime in the Villa/City game and as per normal the radio is on newstalk. I turned it off after about two minutes and I won't be listening to it anymore unless the lads return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

Feck going to have to move out of the sitting room while the missus gets here Corrie/Eastender fix, was bearable with Newstalk on the IPad, not sure now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Did they mention them on the show tonight?

djPSB wrote: »
    Did they mention them on the show tonight?

ye, just confirmed they left over scheduling reasons and said they would miss their friends

ye, just confirmed they left over scheduling reasons and said they would miss their friends
    Aww

fwend.jpg

Shame as it's a good show.

On the upside it'll mean not listening to Ken Early commentating on a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Who does Ken Early support?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Not sure but he's a fan of Breaking Bad so I like him. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Shame as it's a good show.

On the upside it'll mean not listening to Ken Early commentating on a game.

I liked Early's commentating on games actually the odd times I listened to him on a Sunday. It was unorthodox, which is no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

They must be going on TV. RTE makes no sense. I imagine they will still do a podcast but the team will be more focused on TV. I can't see them on the radio unless they are going to do radio in the UK.

It's a shame because we're not going to get the same free formula that worked so well for all the guys on the show.
    You don't say..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

He had a trial with Marseilles, I think I heard them say on a few occasions.

He's a Liverpool fan I think.

• Advertisement

Lennonist wrote: »
    He had a trial with Marseilles, I think I heard them say on a few occasions.

That's a joke isn't it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

you guys are stuck in a time warp, radio is so last-century :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

Well double FOOK IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Sad to see it go. I hope they go nowhere near joe.ie, they're better than that stupid crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

you guys are stuck in a time warp, radio is so last-century :rolleyes:

Loike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement