Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk part company with Off The Ball team

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

It says "The Right Hook is the most commercially successful show at the station and management were not of a mind to alter its format"

What is the world coming to at all. I give up!!

you guys are stuck in a time warp, radio is so last-century :rolleyes:

Yeah why listen to informative discussions on current affairs when TV has shows to offer such as Tallifornia :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Someone made a page to "Free the OTB 5"

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Free-The-OTB-5/155277961297830

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I heard ken wanted a new slot for 'monkey tennis' and a new section called 'knowing M.E, knowing you'. He was also pissed off because he suspected ger gilroy of spray painting 'cock piss early' down the side of his rover

He's off to north Norfolk digital apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

mikehunts wrote: »
    It says "The Right Hook is the most commercially successful show at the station and management were not of a mind to alter its format"

What is the world coming to at all. I give up!!

Its the most commercially successful show because it has a captive audience stuck in their metal boxes on their way home from work. A rescheduled off-the-ball may well have had the potential to be a success but instead we are left with that cantankerous out of touch old fart George Hook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

I'm gonna miss the lads alright. It was a great show to listen to when out running in the evenings. Really made the miles fly by. Did enjoy Ken Earlys dry deliverys and different view point.
    A great pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Listened to the podcast every day in work, it was a great way to stay in touch with sports news back home. Very disappointing.

The @secondcaptains twitter handle is gone now as well :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Best radio show out there by 14,567 miles. Sad loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I've seen some baffling comments - people are "totally devastated" and "distraught".

Seriously?

Nobody died, some people left their jobs and will likely get new, better paying ones.

Yeah, it was a good show and all, but some people need a bit of perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Seriously shocked - easily the best sports show on radio - can't believe Newstalk let it go so easily. Has to be more to the story than what's been revealed so far.

• Advertisement

I've seen some baffling comments - people are "totally devastated" and "distraught".

Seriously?

Nobody died, some people left their jobs and will likely get new, better paying ones.

Yeah, it was a good show and all, but some people need a bit of perspective.

Some people need to not take everything so literally and see hyperbole when it's as clear as day.

Nobody died but we're creatures of habit and the show been part of many for the last seven years.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Some people need to not take everything so literally and see hyperbole when it's as clear as day.

Nobody died but we're creatures of habit and the show been part of many for the last seven years.

Me included!

but this faux grief about everything "bad" that happens is getting increasingly ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Me included!

but this faux grief about everything "bad" that happens is getting increasingly ridiculous.

Your dead right, the show is still there, people will talk about sports on NewsTalk between 7pm and 10pm week nights, it's just that it will have different presenters.

I hated Giles on it by the way, just the same old 'Well Eoin in my day no one had to be rotated' dinosaur BS from him, he needs to be out out to grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Me included!

I'm in a glass cage of emotion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Alias G wrote: »
    Its the most commercially successful show because it has a captive audience stuck in their metal boxes on their way home from work. A rescheduled off-the-ball may well have had the potential to be a success but instead we are left with that cantankerous out of touch old fart George Hook.

A sports show is a niche show and it would have been commerical suicide to dump one of your best primetime shows, that can basically cover any topic, to accommodate a niche show that only appeals to a certain group.
    And yes it is a select group, because there are a fair amount of people who do not want to listen about sport and even within the ones that do have an interest in sport there are ones who only want to know about a particular sport.

People listen to the likes of Hook because the show can cover a multitude like sport, current affairs, movies, travel, etc.
    A lot of people would tune out and listen to Drivetime or The Last Word if it was a few lads having the craic talking about sport.
    BTW you may slag Hook, but IMHO the show is better than stale Drivetime or whiney Cooper.

If the scheduling argument is the reason then the lads are living in dreamland if they think any major national station will give them a prime slot.
    I think there may be more to this than we are being told.

As for the show itself in it's current slot, I think it will suffer as the lads had a banter going that I think Gilroy will not be able to replicate.

To help the show I think they should start a David Brady slot where he is forced to speak in Dublinese and at the end of the show they can have the now retiring Ronan O'Gara on to send everyone to sleep.
    Anything rather than 3 hours of Gilroy is preferable. :(

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Would a Saturday morning show on TV work under their format?

That is something I would defo watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Must be the only poster here who wasn't a fan of the show :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Leiva wrote: »

I wouldn't think so because I reckon a fair amount of their listenship may be out involved in sports like taking on underage teams, etc?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

it would o an exten, he relaxednature of it may suffer hough if is once a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

it would o an exten, he relaxednature of it may suffer hough if is once a week.
    I may have seen a post this bad at 5.30 in the morning once but at 11.30am on a Tuesday morning in March? Please give us a trip report. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

eagle eye wrote: »
    I may have seen a post this bad at 5.30 in the morning once but at 11.30am on a Tuesday morning in March? Please give us a trip report. :D

Looks to me like the letter "t" gave up on his keyboard early on... :)

Originally Posted by Donnielighto
    it would to an extent, the relaxednature of it may suffer though if is once a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

hate not having t first thing in the morning.:pac:

Up against Soccer AM on Sky ?

RayCon wrote: »

Do people still watch that? Genuine question, I thought it died in the arse when Lovejoy left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Your dead right, the show is still there, people will talk about sports on NewsTalk between 7pm and 10pm week nights, it's just that it will have different presenters.

I hated Giles on it by the way, just the same old 'Well Eoin in my day no one had to be rotated' dinosaur BS from him, he needs to be out out to grass.

Gilesy is a legend.

BTW if you took your username from the character in the Father Ted episode you got the spelling wrong, it's Fr. Todd Unctuous so it is.

• Advertisement

Do people still watch that? Genuine question, I thought it died in the arse when Lovejoy left.

My teenage son records it ... I then flick through it later that night ... Id say I actually watch about 20mins of the 2hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Lovejoy was by far and away the worst thing about it. Grade A arrogant twat.

Having said that it should have been put out to pasture years ago, tired, repetitive format.

niallo24 wrote: »
    Lovejoy was by far and away the worst thing about it. Grade A arrogant twat.

Having said that it should have been put out to pasture years ago, tired, repetitive format.
    I thought Lovejoy made the show and I stopped watching it shortly after he left.

When Lovejoy & Chamberlain were at the helm it captured the zeitgeist - that moment is now passed though, and it should be put out of it's misery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Lennonist wrote: »
    Gilesy is a legend.

BTW if you took your username from the character in the Father Ted episode you got the spelling wrong, it's Fr. Todd Unctuous so it is.

You tell him, Leninist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

It died in the arse when he was still on it namedropping every week :rolleyes:

Anyway, the mere mention of Lovejoy is an excuse to roll out this brilliant book review :D

http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/42-Media/145-no-love-no-joy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Renn wrote: »
    You tell him, Leninist.

That's the wrong Lenin Lennon you are referring to:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Lovejoy was great and the show died when he left.
    I still watch him now on Sunday Brunch on Sunday mornings with Simon Rimmer.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

It produced 1 excellent show every three months, the rest merely had segments of quality. The lads were fairly smug too which really put me off it. No loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Vanolder wrote: »
    It produced 1 excellent show every three months, the rest merely had segments of quality. The lads were fairly smug too which really put me off it. No loss.

Top quality trolling.:cool:

Lennonist wrote: »
    Gilesy is a legend.

how is he a legend ?
    He just goes on and on about how things were like in the old days and how he cannot understand how player now need to be rotated, or are tired etc, he offers F*Ck all new to a discussion.
    Richard Sadlier is very good though, gives good insight from recent playing days

The username is what you think it is but it was spelt incorrectly on day one, I'll survive .
    I think Fr. Rebulah Conundrum was taken also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Soccer AM is hardly something to be worried about? Who watches it apart from teenagers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Didn't even think about that but seen you mentioned it , Yes !

They (Off the Ball lads) would really have to lower their standards to compete on the same level with that crap.

Soccer AM is absolute muck and has been for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

They have released a statement:

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/off-the-ball-statement-819939-Mar2013/

Hey everyone, Eoin McDevitt, Ken Early, Mark Horgan, Simon Hick and Ciaran Murphy here. Sorry we couldn’t make the show last night.

Over the last 18 months we have been in discussions with Newstalk about ways to develop our programme. Unfortunately there are fundamental differences of opinion between management and ourselves about the show’s future potential and its ability to grow an audience at an earlier time.

We’re gutted to leave behind something we love but after eight years we feel it’s vital that our product continues to evolve and improve.

We would like to sincerely thank Newstalk for giving us a chance to put the show together.

We won’t have the opportunity to say goodbye on air, so thanks to everyone who has supported us over the years and over the past 24 hours - particularly our listeners, who are the best in the country.

The five of us are determined to be back on air together as soon as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Vanolder wrote: »

Name one show on the radio or podcast that's better?

The only one that comes close IMO is football weekly with James Richardson, but that's only twice a week, and so they can fill it with the the more prominent issues of the weekend. OTB is on daily, and so the range of topics from a footballing current affairs point of view is far more limited

As for the smugness, I don't agree. I'd take early and mcdevitt any day over any mainstream sports commentators. They're entertaining, honest and don't indulge in the bull**** so prevelant elsewhere in the media. While I don't always agree with ken, I think he's an intelligent lad, and His views are generally both based on sound logic, and entertaining

As I'm sure is the case with anyone who listened to the show in work, I'm really going to miss it. The nature of my job means I spend just over 6 months a year deep sea, no tv, radio and limited Internet. I work long hours and genuinely look forward to downloading the football show each night before I go to bed. I'm sure commuters, taxi men and truck drivers etc are in a similar position, in that as sad as It may sound, it was one of the things that made my working life that much better, and I'll certainly miss it now that its gone

The Football Show just wasn't the same tonight. I like Gilroy in general but there was no craic, and even the reactions to the goals were terribly muted compared to Ken and the crazy Japanese music.

After reading that bit from the score I'm hoping they are back on the air very soon and I'll be listening to them wherever they go. I just hope they end up in the same time slot as it suits me when I'm on my way home from work.

Me included!

but this faux grief about everything "bad" that happens is getting increasingly ridiculous

Its more out of habit then actual faux grief i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

I loved it for more than their football coverage. They were not afraid to shy away from lots of issues that no one else was brave enough/allowed to touch.

I'm not a cycling fan but they got on that very early and took stick over it. They were recently talking about it in football and if they kept going I think they could have done more there. As a huge fan I think they may have done themselves over here. They were on to a good thing and I'm not sure anyone else will let them do what they were doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The Football Show just wasn't the same tonight. I like Gilroy in general but there was no craic, and even the reactions to the goals were terribly muted compared to Ken and the crazy Japanese music.

That music used irritate me no end but now i miss it so much:(

kfallon wrote: »
    It died in the arse when he was still on it namedropping every week :rolleyes:

Anyway, the mere mention of Lovejoy is an excuse to roll out this brilliant book review :D

http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/42-Media/145-no-love-no-joy

:D That was excellent

Didn't even think about that but seen you mentioned it , Yes !

They (Off the Ball lads) would really have to lower their standards to compete on the same level with that crap.

Soccer AM is absolute muck and has been for years now.
    Soccer AM is hardly something to be worried about? Who watches it apart from teenagers.

Agreed ... but in order for the OTB lads to develope a Sat Morning TV show - they would have to spend a lot on developement (which I don't think RTE or TV3 would take a punt on) as the OTB format / experience is in Radio.
    Their target audience on Sat morning is more than likely teenagers who are already watching Soccer AM and I dont think RTE / TV3 would have to balls (or know-how) to take them on.
    If it did miraculously make it to our screens - it would be heavily sanitised and "made safe" for TV. I predict nothing but disappointment.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Name one show on the radio or podcast that's better?

The only one that comes close IMO is football weekly with James Richardson,

The Football Ramble. Seriously, if you don't already you should start listenng to it.

It's pretty good, and along the same irreverent lines as OTB, maybe slightly funnier - certainly more actually laugh out loud moments.

It's about an hour long, weekly.

• Advertisement

Agreed ... but in order for the OTB lads to develope a Sat Morning TV show - they would have to spend a lot on developement (which I don't think RTE or TV3 would take a punt on) as the OTB format / experience is in Radio.
    Their target audience on Sat morning is more than likely teenagers who are already watching Soccer AM and I dont think RTE / TV3 would have to balls (or know-how) to take them on.
    If it did miraculously make it to our screens - it would be heavily sanitised and "made safe" for TV. I predict nothing but disappointment.

I'm sure both TV3 and RTE have the know-how to take on Soccer AM, but as you said in the first line it would be expensive to and may not be commercially sensible.

By the way I liseted to OTB last night from 9.30 to 10, I am fine after it , I don't feel any different now than I did this time last week

Advertisement