Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk part company with Off The Ball team

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Does he still say "Eoin" at the end of every sentence?

Well, Eoin isn't on the show anymore, so hopefully not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

So 2FM then? Hardly a move to the big leagues: http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/is-off-the-ball-team-about-to-bounce-back-onto-2fm-29225993.html

Also worth noting in that article is that 'New JNLR figures issued this week saw their former Off The Ball show on Newstalk record a 4,000 increase in listenership.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So 2FM then? Hardly a move to the big leagues: http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/is-off-the-ball-team-about-to-bounce-back-onto-2fm-29225993.html

Also worth noting in that article is that 'New JNLR figures issued this week saw their former Off The Ball show on Newstalk record a 4,000 increase in listenership.'

The listenership figures are of no importance yet as the change in the OTB show happened mid period, its the next set of numbers that will show if NT have suffered or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The JNLR figures would have been compiled while they were still presenting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

RTE's flagship evening radio sports show - I can't think of anything bigger - unless they were planning to leave Ireland altogether ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

OMG, this is going to be #totesamazeballs. I have missed the lads so much on my radio. I have not stopped listening to OTB though so I can continue to whinge about the lads departure.

I cannot wait for this. The Newstalk devils will be #totesdevo about this I reckon.

#cutforbeiber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

gimmick wrote: »
    OMG, this is going to be #totesamazeballs. I have missed the lads so much on my radio. I have not stopped listening to OTB though so I can continue to whinge about the lads departure.

I cannot wait for this. The Newstalk devils will be #totesdevo about this I reckon.

#cutforbeiber.

You're not funny.

I wasn't trying to be. I was just making reference to the kool aid being taken at alarming rates by the lads fan boy team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

I wasn't trying to be. I was just making reference to the kool aid being taken at alarming rates by the lads fan boy team.

Back to the pro wrestling forum, are take terms like 'kool aid' and 'fan boy team' with you please.

Back to the pro wrestling forum, are take terms like 'kool aid' and 'fan boy team' with you please.

Every

Single

Time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I have no idea what you're talking about. Stop making me feel old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You're not funny.

I laughed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

#cutforbeiber.

*bieber*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Every

Single

Time

What goes around comes around. Perhaps if you were more respectful to your fellow posters, they'd be more respectful to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

What an amazing counter arguement. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

There isint an argument there to counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

That pic embodies what the show had become

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

T-K-O wrote: »
    That pic embodies what the show had become

Whatever you think it had become the new lads are pretty awful in comparison.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with for the new show.

• Advertisement

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    Whatever you think it had become the new lads are pretty awful in comparison.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with for the new show.

To be honest I have only manage to hear the new show 3 or 4 times. Lots of GGA talk, I dont know if that was a timing issue on my behalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

So any news on this big announcement today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

If they do a once a week podcast with with some newspaper it will not be the same as a live show every night.
    Some/most of the best bits were the reactions to some texts or tweets etc

That part of the show won't be the same anymore And any live game they covered can't be the same on podcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Looks like their gamble backfired. Best of luck to them but can't help but feel they blundered in a big way.

Can't see myself downloading the podcast, might do the odd time, but can't beat live radio

There isn't a squid that is big or damp enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

ciaran76 wrote: »
    If they do a once a week podcast with with some newspaper it will not be the same as a live show every night.
    Some/most of the best bits were the reactions to love texts or tweets etc

That part of the show won't be the same anymore And any live game they covered can't be the same on podcast.

Agreed. What made it unique will no longer be the case with a podcast. While I admit they held my ear when it came to less popular sports, I only really listed for the soccer. Podcast + fast foward button + small soccer section = not worth my while downloading.

They made a right bags of this whole scenario. fall from grace or what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Mushy wrote: »

Last line of that article makes me think this is only a short term thing, I think they will be back on radio during the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

mike65 wrote: »

...or a squib ;)

Seems an odd move alright - the interaction with the audience was a key part of the appeal of the show so that obviously goes out the window with a podcast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Surely bar the minimal advertising there is sweet FA money in podcasting. One of the biggest American Football podcasts is partially funded by advertising and the rest is geared towards getting people to read certain articles or journalists appear on the podcast becuase it's part of a wider network and it might get them some recognition. From the face of it, it would appear that there is very little money in it so I don't see how this is a positive step for the lads.

On the plus side Newstalk have the worst podcasts in the world so hopefully this one is cut and produced far better. I used to hate the OFB podcast as it would cut out mid question or stop randomly.

It would appear that it has failed miserably for them.

mike65 wrote: »
    Cartman78 wrote: »
    ...or a squib ;)

Seems an odd move alright - the interaction with the audience was a key part of the appeal of the show so that obviously goes out the window with a podcast

Every time I do that joke someone doesn't get it! :mad: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

I'd imagine this is a stop gap before they get something proper sorted for after the summer. This way they can cover the end of the rugby and football season for the next few weeks.

It's going to be a reasonably quiet summer sports wise so I'd imagine new employers would not be in a rush to get them back on air before August.

Well, I think it's fair to say this announcement puts paid to the idea that they had a better gig lined up when they gave their ultimatum to Newstalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I think egos got the better of them here. Big fish, admittedly incredibly entertaining fish, within a very small listenership pond. It would have been financial suicide to forfeit an hour's drive-time current affairs for such a niche show. Best they were going to get was an identical time slot at one of the other national broadcasters, which they clearly couldn't wangle.

I wish them well, but they may be toughing it out in pod warfare for a while. Though I am sure it will pay the bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

McDevitt still has time to go on his gardening leave so this is obviously a temporary move to maintain profile before starting on RTE next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/second-captains

they're doing the show once a week, first podcast was released today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I think egos got the better of them here. Big fish, admittedly incredibly entertaining fish, within a very small listenership pond. It would have been financial suicide to forfeit an hour's drive-time current affairs for such a niche show. Best they were going to get was an identical time slot at one of the other national broadcasters, which they clearly couldn't wangle.

I wish them well, but they may be toughing it out in pod warfare for a while. Though I am sure it will pay the bills.

I think running the show until half 10 on a Friday would have been a far better idea. Round up all the LOI games, get some phone-ins, interview a manager or two. I have absolutely nothing to listen to after the LOI games and have to wait until I'm home to check the results and read the reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Next tuesday after the Austria game at 10:30 there is Seconds Captain Live show on rte two. Think its a series, never heard about it until now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

GTR63 wrote: »
    Next tuesday after the Austria game at 10:30 there is Seconds Captain Live show on rte two. Think its a series, never heard about it until now.

Stupid show is on instead of one of my fav shows Suits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

GTR63 wrote: »

I think I heard them say there are at least three more episodes planned, although I don't see them in the schedules yet.

Hopefully they can transfer well to Television.

http://www.rte.ie/presspack/2013/08/29/1572653/
    The show will be the place in Irish television where sport meets entertainment. It will allow viewers to see the national obsession discussed on their screens in the way that it’s talked about on the street or in the pub – with the pride, humour and unique sense of perspective that we have as a country.

Each week the Second Captains presenters (McDevitt, Early and Murphy) will be joined by three of our favourite Irish sports stars and together we’ll discuss the week’s major stories, drawing on our guests’ experience of top class competition. The show will also feature an additional interview with a big name guest, some classic RTÉ archive and the clever and original use of inserts. It’s a brand new format for Irish TV, filmed in front of an enthusiastic studio audience live on RTÉ Two.

How's the ratings since they all left anyway?

Be interested to know if there's been much change. Probably not much I'd guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Stupid show is on instead of one of my fav shows Suits

Get out!

Looks like this didn't work out for them imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Any idea what their listenership was on TodayFM?
    They're getting about 18,000 per show now, which to be fair is pretty impressive for an Irish podcast.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Any idea what their listenership was on TodayFM?
    They're getting about 18,000 per show now, which to be fair is pretty impressive for an Irish podcast.

Compared to how many on Newstalk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Compared to how many on Newstalk ?

i was reading somewhere they had 40,000 on newstalk, dont know where though

Pretty impressive podcast numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Hasn't worked out for them at all. It's a good show they do but it's not irreplaceable. I think they lads are stuck now in podcasting becuase OTB is already in the only slot where they would fit in tbh. I can't see another station paying what they'll have to pay to get McDevitt, Early, Murph etc. to compete for 40,000 listeners.

McDevitt is a great interviewer through IMO. It's a shame it hasn't worked out for them. Maybe this TV gig might work out

pauldoo wrote: »
    i was reading somewhere they had 40,000 on newstalk, dont know where though

Pretty impressive podcast numbers

I guess so, I just feel the lads made a huge mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

I guess so, I just feel the lads made a huge mistake

Suppose depends what way you look at it, from their point of view the show was never going to improve if they stayed in the current slot on newstalk, they left, have a popular podcast, a TV show and probably more freedom

I'm sure they have less money though

Lets see how long the TV show lasts. At the end of the day, they gave up a hit programme for a podcast with 1/2 the listeners.

Despite what many think, OTB was more a cult following than general mass appeal. I would suggest 50/60k listeners is the best they could every hope for, regardless of the time slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

The Off The Ball listenership only fell about 5% to 41,000 since McDevitt and the others left (http://www.thescore.ie/off-the-ball-listenership-1008746-Jul2013/)

Advertisement