Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk part company with Off The Ball team

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Further slap across the bows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Surely they are trying to move off Radio into TV. Fair play I say, you have to take risks to grow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I am pie wrote: »
    Surely they are trying to move off Radio into TV. Fair play I say, you have to take risks to grow.

They're only going to TV cus they probably didn't find an appropriate radio slot on any national station.
    As said before, they believed in their own hype a little too much, when in reality they had a cult following.
    No matter how good you are, you can't have a sports show on at 6pm Monday to Friday on the national airwaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

They're only going to TV cus they probably didn't find an appropriate radio slot on any national station.

I think rte are desperate to have more sports programming on soon aswell with the GAA Championship wrapping up in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

As said before, they believed in their own hype a little too much, when in reality they had a cult following.
    No matter how good you are, you can't have a sports show on at 6pm Monday to Friday on the national airwaves.

surely TV is a step up for them.

If the TV show is successful it could open up further opportunities for them. If RTE were smart they could basically create a new format for sports on TV, quite easily.

Would be a very good idea, imo, to run the CL coverage with it. Would prefer that to the muck ITV and TV3 present us with on their CL coverage. They could have a great TV show on their hands.

I know I would be far more likely to watch their show on TV than turn on OTB on the radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭brick tamland

ambid wrote: »
    The Off The Ball listenership only fell about 5% to 41,000 since McDevitt and the others left (http://www.thescore.ie/off-the-ball-listenership-1008746-Jul2013/)

Dont think those figures are correct. I think the figures in that report are an average of the last 4 quartly figures so it'll be only including 1 and a bit quarters that the 2nd captains crew are missing, plus there will be seasonal up and downs ( eg. no soccer show in the summer). Might take a while for the true figures to wash out.

* could be wrong but read this in radio forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I listened to the new show a couple of times but haven't listened to it in a long time now. Its just so boring.

If the old crew turn up somewhere on radio I'll listen like I always did. I just loved that show but its died a death for me since they left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well I listened to the new show a couple of times but haven't listened to it in a long time now. Its just so boring.

If the old crew turn up somewhere on radio I'll listen like I always did. I just loved that show but its died a death for me since they left.

My feelings exactly. I still listen to OTB but only when I've everything else listened to like my Second Captains pod, football weekley pod, football ramble pod etc. For me its dead, extremely boring but maybe its boring because I'm comparing it to the old OTB show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Jesus whats with the Second Captains hate in here? "believed their own hype" what sort of BS is that and moving on to telly because they couldnt get a Radio gig? Surely being on national TV is better than whats essentially a local radio station no? FYI the podcasts are outstanding quality, only football weekly comes close to those guys and I say fair play for moving to TV while keeping the pod going.

FearDark wrote: »
    Jesus whats with the Second Captains hate in here? "believed their own hype" what sort of BS is that and moving on to telly because they couldnt get a Radio gig? Surely being on national TV is better than whats essentially a local radio station no? FYI the podcasts are outstanding quality, only football weekly comes close to those guys and I say fair play for moving to TV while keeping the pod going.

I wouldn't say hate, I think most people are slightly disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

FearDark wrote: »

As said below, it's not hate, it's disappointment. I like the show as much as anyone.

Being on tv is great, super in fact and as people have said, if it ties in taking over CL coverage than all the better...but...you have to remember why they are in this position in the first place, they held the radio station to ransom in order to get the 6pm slot they wanted, and the radio station called their bluff.

Anyway, here's too the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I like the new show with Ger, Gizzy and Parky but I just don't have the time to listen to it whereas I can listen to Second Captains whenever. I doubt there's many people who boycotted the new OTB guys because it really is the perfect slot for a sports show and the new crew are getting better everytime I listen.

I think a lot of people are prematurely judging the Second Captains. Sure they haven't been appointed the new Late Late Show presenters but they have a TV slot that has a foot in the door at RTE at least. People were slamming the move hours after it was announced they were no longer Newstalk employees. They've done alright so far with a regular podcast gig and the TV show so I'm going to hold my judgement for a while longer. Hopefully the TV show will be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I like the new show with Ger, Gizzy and Parky but I just don't have the time to listen to it whereas I can listen to Second Captains whenever. I doubt there's many people who boycotted the new OTB guys because it really is the perfect slot for a sports show and the new crew are getting better everytime I listen.

I think a lot of people are prematurely judging the Second Captains. Sure they haven't been appointed the new Late Late Show presenters but they have a TV slot that has a foot in the door at RTE at least. People were slamming the move hours after it was announced they were no longer Newstalk employees. They've done alright so far with a regular podcast gig and the TV show so I'm going to hold my judgement for a while longer. Hopefully the TV show will be good.
    I gave the new crew a chance but I just couldn't put up with it, its boring because there is no sense of humour and its a lot less intelligent than it was with the old crew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I think a lot of people are fairly focused on the media here, podcasts and video casts can produce a lot of exposures, also international exposure and not just local exposure. To me they have decided they couldn't take their existing slot any further, asked for a bigger one and got a negative response. Makes perfect sense to relaunch looking for TV coverage and online coverage. Both have the potential to eventually surpass radio coverage.

Risk for reward, there should be more of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Second Captains is the same as the show before and better than OTB on Newstalk now. They often have the exact same guests on and McDevitt/Early et al are better than Gilroy/Parkinson that's for sure.

Denis O'Brien is shelling out big wages for the likes of Pat Kenny and bringing back Ivan Yates, he should have shelled out for the original OTB team, seeing as money is no object to him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lennonist wrote: »
    Second Captains is the same as the show before and better than OTB on Newstalk now. They often have the exact same guests on and McDevitt/Early et al are better than Gilroy/Parkinson that's for sure.

Denis O'Brien is shelling out big wages for the likes of Pat Kenny and bringing back Ivan Yates, he should have shelled out for the original OTB team, seeing as money is no object to him.

But money wasn't the issue. They wanted an earlier slot and threw their toys out of the pram when they didn't get it.

I am pie wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are fairly focused on the media here, podcasts and video casts can produce a lot of exposures, also international exposure and not just local exposure. To me they have decided they couldn't take their existing slot any further, asked for a bigger one and got a negative response. Makes perfect sense to relaunch looking for TV coverage and online coverage. Both have the potential to eventually surpass radio coverage.

Risk for reward, there should be more of it!

Until we can all stream podcasts ala car radio the media is still quite importance IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

T-K-O wrote: »
    Until we can all stream podcasts ala car radio the media is still quite importance IMO

A lot of people do and I'd imagine in a few few years most people will. It removes any geographical limitations in what you can listen to. I haven't listened to an Irish radio station since they left.

That Parkinson lad put me right off the new OTB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

But money wasn't the issue. They wanted an earlier slot and threw their toys out of the pram when they didn't get it.

You're right, money wasn't the reason. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that maybe they felt their show needed a change to give it fresh impetus. The thing is what they are doing with Second Captains now is almost identical. I listen to them now and they're still very good and better than Newstalk's replacement OTB team. They wouldn't have the same budget to get certain guests I'd imagine.

It'll be interesting to see how they get on RTE now. McDevitt in particular is a very good sports anchor man, could take over from Bill O'Herlihy whenever he retires.

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    A lot of people do and I'd imagine in a few few years most people will. It removes any geographical limitations in what you can listen to. I haven't listened to an Irish radio station since they left.

Of course but I when cars come with a streaming device that will really change the game.

* average cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    Yeah he's poor. Joe Molloy is good though and Ger Gilroy is a decent presenter too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

T-K-O wrote: »
    Lets see how long the TV show lasts. At the end of the day, they gave up a hit programme for a podcast with 1/2 the listeners.

Despite what many think, OTB was more a cult following than general mass appeal. I would suggest 50/60k listeners is the best they could every hope for, regardless of the time slot.

I agree. I liked OTB because of their mix of humour with relatively serious broadcasting. Personalities like Ken Burley, a fake person portrayed by Ken Early to openly troll a Welsh radio station, would not go down well with most people wanting serious sports discussion. But they knew their market. I loved their mix of humour with broadcasting. They needed more LOI but no show is without its faults.

They got too big for their boots. McDevitt is a good interviewer but the others seem like your mates talking about sport. A niche in Radio but perhaps 45k or whatever is the best they could get. I loved the show but don't think it has been the same with Gilroy. Really dislike the man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

BOHtox wrote: »
    I agree. I liked OTB because of their mix of humour with relatively serious broadcasting. Personalities like Ken Burley, a fake person portrayed by Ken Early to openly troll a Welsh radio station, would not go down well with most people wanting serious sports discussion. But they knew their market. I loved their mix of humour with broadcasting. They needed more LOI but no show is without its faults.

They got too big for their boots. McDevitt is a good interviewer but the others seem like your mates talking about sport. A niche in Radio but perhaps 45k or whatever is the best they could get. I loved the show but don't think it has been the same with Gilroy. Really dislike the man!

Listened to it twice since the new lads came in, and don't like it anymore. However my father still listens to it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

The Football Show section of OTB is very cosy with the Irish Indo, I think. They have the Indo's Dan MacDonnell in studio every night (whenever I've tuned in recently anyway) and when they quote from a newspaper it always seems to be the Indo! The OTB guys also write for the Indo once a week, so it works both ways.

Ken and the gang will be on RTE-2 tomorrow night (straight after the Austria match) for one hour in "Second Captains Live" - it's a weekly show, from what I gather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Strange how Giles changes his mind,a few months ago he stated Rooney could never be a midfielder and the other night proclaimed he'd be great in the role.

I listen in every night as it's a choice of that or hearing songs for the umpteenth time while at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Anyone see the new show last night.. Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Handy11

djPSB wrote: »
    Anyone see the new show last night.. Any good?

It was decent. Has potential, but it was obvious that the lads are still a bit nervous and it'll take some time to bed into the idea of live TV. They've based it on a Top Gear kind of setup and I think it works in principle.

McDevitt is a brilliant radio presenter but as yet lacks a bit of charisma - he appears a little too scripted and stilted yet. I think he'll get more natural as he gets more experienced.

ONly thing that annoyed me was the NYPD Blue-style shaky handheld camera, that I think they should ditch in favour of regular floor cams. Made it seem a little less professional.

Ronan O'Gara was a bad choice for first show main guest I thought - a little dull and quiet. I'm sure they'll have lots of good ones as the shows go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Handy11 wrote: »
    It was decent. Has potential, but it was obvious that the lads are still a bit nervous and it'll take some time to bed into the idea of live TV. They've based it on a Top Gear kind of setup and I think it works in principle.

McDevitt is a brilliant radio presenter but as yet lacks a bit of charisma - he appears a little too scripted and stilted yet. I think he'll get more natural as he gets more experienced.

ONly thing that annoyed me was the NYPD Blue-style shaky handheld camera, that I think they should ditch in favour of regular floor cams. Made it seem a little less professional.

Ronan O'Gara was a bad choice for first show main guest I thought - a little dull and quiet. I'm sure they'll have lots of good ones as the shows go on.

Overall I'd agree with you. However, I thought ROG came across fairly well and was even funny in a very dry sort of way.

I thought they overdid the quiz thing at the end - too many elements - the penalities thing - WTF was that about? I do like the quiz idea but it just never seemed to get going and then they were rushing it at the end.

Very scripted too as you said, I thought they were going to talk a lot more than they did about Trap and the match when they started with Sadlier, a good conversation was just getting going and then they just cut it off and started questioning the other panelists on a different topic.

keith16 wrote: »
    I thought they overdid the quiz thing at the end - too many elements - the penalities thing - WTF was that about?

Agreed with this. It was a bit too messy. I think/hope they'll hone it down in coming weeks to something a bit more watchable and a bit less throwaway. If they're doing a quiz, I'd prefer it to be non-rigged (as it was for Derval O'Rourke) and a good challenge.
    keith16 wrote: »
    I thought they were going to talk a lot more than they did about Trap and the match when they started with Sadlier, a good conversation was just getting going and then they just cut it off and started questioning the other panelists on a different topic.

I thought the same. It was a bit of a mistake to have 3 panelists on the couch for one short section. I think something following the podcast format would work - 2 minor guests (topic panelists, or maybe one plugging an interesting book) and one sports star guest. It'd make the hour flow better, whereas last night just seemed a frenzy of "stuff". They'll get there, I hope. They're smart guys and are very entertaining, and i really hope they can get the magic of their radio shows to translate to telly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Thought it was a great first show. Sure it needs to be tweaked here and there. Loved the balance of guests. Mixed sporting genres asked the same questions was all very insightful imo.

Thought O Gara came across really well too. Opening night nerves etc needs to be taken into account. Not that it has any competition but a weekly high quality sports show would make me set my tv to 'record' any nights I was going to miss it.

Definitely worth checking out.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Im still laughing at the Knorr stock cube plugs from a few weeks back :D or Richie Sadliers dog.
    Handy11 wrote: »
    Agreed with this. It was a bit too messy. I think/hope they'll hone it down in coming weeks to something a bit more watchable and a bit less throwaway. If they're doing a quiz, I'd prefer it to be non-rigged (as it was for Derval O'Rourke) and a good challenge.

I thought the same. It was a bit of a mistake to have 3 panelists on the couch for one short section. I think something following the podcast format would work - 2 minor guests (topic panelists, or maybe one plugging an interesting book) and one sports star guest. It'd make the hour flow better, whereas last night just seemed a frenzy of "stuff". They'll get there, I hope. They're smart guys and are very entertaining, and i really hope they can get the magic of their radio shows to translate to telly.

I do agree on, cutting out some of the gimmicks and giving more time to the guests. I'd hate it to be the podcast on tv, it definitely needs to be a bit different.

lordgoat wrote: »
    I do agree on, cutting out some of the gimmicks and giving more time to the guests. I'd hate it to be the podcast on tv, it definitely needs to be a bit different.

I suppose you're right there - I meant more in the line of giving the show a bit better shape. A better "flow" if I'm going to be artsy about it. I think there's potential there to be an excellent show, and I think over the coming weeks they'll tweak their format and their camera-comfort.

Ireland has been really missing a sports programme like this. As you said above, one that I'd certainly be recording every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Was too 'fun' imo- was hoping for a more serious sports talk show. Potential is there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Caught up with this last night - better than I had expected tbh....a few rough edges to be fair and Ken seemed decidedly uncomfortable in front of the camera but overall it was entertaining.

There's deffo a niche for something like this...especially after seeing Dunphy & Co. crapping on endlessly like a gang of old fogeys beforehand.

The O'Gara interview was excellent imho...McDevitt has a knack/technique of getting the best out of those kind of opportunities, and watching that segment reminded just how bad the 'new' OTB crew are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Cartman78 wrote: »
    McDevitt has a knack/technique of getting the best out of those kind of opportunities, and watching that segment reminded just how bad the 'new' OTB crew are.

I still listen to OTB but whilst Gilroy is ok and the guy Joe is tolerable, the other two are attrocious. Parkinson is so lightweight and generally annoying that words fail. The worst though is Diarmuid Lyng. He is completely tongue tied most of the time (it is painful listening to him trying to compose an intelligent question) and he generally doesn't come across as the sharpest tool in the box (he could be for all I know but you can only go on what you hear....)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Was too 'fun' imo- was hoping for a more serious sports talk show. Potential is there though.

Yeah, the show would need to be careful that it doesn't turn into a just another lame chat vehicle that's only broadly sport based. If drunk Jason Mcateer shows up, it's over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Okay enough first show but they tried to cram in too much at once, the old callcards got a nostalgic pop in my house. Ken was hardly in the show(forgot how much he looks like Outspan from the Commitments). Would of put Joe Rabbitte`s ad in the top 3 list though, yup i`m bias.

Advertisement