Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Brien Road / Tullow Rd. Roundabout

Options
  • 04-03-2013 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭

OK someone tell me I'm not going mad.

I was on O'Brien Road heading towards the Tullow Road Roundabout (with Askea on my right). At the roundabout, the road markings seem to have changed. The outside lane was now "Left Turn Only" and the inside lane was for going straight on or turning right (which goes against common sense and the basic rules of the road).

I was going straight on, so I got on the inside lane, as per the road markings. I entered the roundabout and got cut off and beeped out of it by two cars in the outside lane going straight on.

I looked up Google Maps, and the road markings (from May 2011) are the way they should be.

http://goo.gl/maps/RTo34

Did I misread the road markings, or are they as retarded as they seem to be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭rosehip

I'm glad you posted about this - i noticed it the other night and thought - how stupid! It looks like they did it to stop the bottleneck along the o'brien up to lidl and further.

The only problem is no one has noticed and i did what you did the other day and was nearly the cause of an accident - and what was i supposed to do - get out in traffic and point out the new road markings!!!

It got me thinking - is it legal? Surely, it's a basic of road safety that a roundabout works as a roundabout!

Regards,
    Rose

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yay, not mad. Thanks Rose. :o

Love to hear the reason behind this. If the opposite road (heading towards Ashgrove/Fairgreen) was a two lane road it might have been OK, but it's a single lane road.

An accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

rosehip wrote: »
    I'm glad you posted about this - i noticed it the other night and thought - how stupid! It looks like they did it to stop the bottleneck along the o'brien up to lidl and further.

The only problem is no one has noticed and i did what you did the other day and was nearly the cause of an accident - and what was i supposed to do - get out in traffic and point out the new road markings!!!

It got me thinking - is it legal? Surely, it's a basic of road safety that a roundabout works as a roundabout!

Regards,
    Rose

Of course it's legal. The Rules of the Road are only a guideline for the most part unless the word "must" is used. Every driver should be familiar with the Rules of the Road and therefore should also be aware that road markings must be obeyed.
    RotR:
    You must obey any road markings on the lanes and/or other instructions to show what lane to use if you intend to take a particular exit from the roundabout.

Additional temporary signage such as "new layout", or even better again, permanent signage should help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

How dumb are the Carlow County Council?
    Like jesus christ this could cause a fatality if its not rectified.

Everybody knows that stay the the left lane to turn left and going straight on. The right hand lane for turning right only.

Surely they can't just change the national rules of the road just because there are a few delays. Maybe they should have allowed planning permission so close to a busy roundabout. A bit of forethought would be beneficial.

Road markings are mostly useless as cars/lorries on top of them are kind of fecking hard to see through.

We have enough dumb drivers on our roads without the addition of something as dumb as this. Its very "Irish".

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭Carlow2011

almighty1 wrote: »
    Everybody knows that stay the the left lane to turn left and going straight on. The right hand lane for turning right only.???

/rant

"You must obey any road markings on the lanes and/or other instructions to show what lane to use if you intend to take a particular exit from the roundabout."

Maybe an annual driving text should be introduced to ensure people actually know what's in the rules of the road before quoting them incorrectly or maybe penalty points for stupid drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭rosehip

Could the people stating about us "stupid drivers" please refrain. Myself and Mr.E used the lanes CORRECTLY - and were nearly killed.

I only saw the new road markings on the empty road one night. Most of the people in the tailback everyday haven't room to see the new markings as the cars are too close together and too slow moving most of the afternoon there.

My point about it being illegal is that it is badly marked and there is no roadside warning or signage over 100 yards or even 200 yards before warning people of the change from a normal roundabout and telling them to get into the correct lane.

Surely, it is illegal to not have roadside signs so the drivers on the o'brien road from Askea on know the new way.

The county council DO and HAVE done stupid things before and then have hastily changed them when their mistake is pointed out to them.

They are not infallible.

Rose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

This is the exact way it is going into Kilkenny and the only reason I can see is to ease congestion alright.

btw, while I'd agree it's very stupid and the roundabout rules should remain the same as they are in the ROTR, it's a bit ridiculous to say this could get someone killed. Talk about an exaggeration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Carlow2011 wrote: »
    "You must obey any road markings on the lanes and/or other instructions to show what lane to use if you intend to take a particular exit from the roundabout."

Maybe an annual driving text should be introduced to ensure people actually know what's in the rules of the road before quoting them incorrectly or maybe penalty points for stupid drivers.

You think road markings alone are adequate in this situation, where the lanes have been the same for many years? Can you explain how a person (who never drove to that roundabout before) could determine what lane to go in, if there was a big gigantic articulated truck stopped over the road markings?

If it was a complicated roundabout like the one at the Burrin bridge near KFC (with 4 exits) then I would understand. This is a bog standard 9,12,3 roundabout I cant see why they need to make a stones of the lanes. Can you even admit that 99% of 9,12,3 roundabouts conform to the left lane = left & straight on, right lane turning right?

Regarding a fatality, you have to understand that cyclists, motorcyclists and pedestrians also use this roundabout. You ever see those "are they"/"are they not" pedestrian crossings at each exit? I've lost count the amount of times I've nearly seen somebody mowed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

RSA guidelines say the left hand lane should be used for straight ahead unless it is signposted for left turn only or if it is blocked. In such circumstances, use the right hand lane.

Problem is, 99% of roundabouts are not like the changes made on this one so most people will use the left hand lane

Real issue here is the position of the trafic lights on the Tullow Road. They're too close to the roundabout and cause it to get jammed. Move those and the problem get's solved

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

Haven't posted on boards in a while but this roundabout is driving me nuts. I'm following the correct signs but twice this week people are blowing the horn at me for going straight using the right lane. Next time think I'll stop and point out that they're in the wrong... Rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 The Drunk Accountant

This roundabout is actually a crash waiting to happen. Sadly I have to pass it everyday and I actually fear going onto the roundabout sometimes. I have started skipping through askea and skipping the roundabout cause even though ill be in the right if a crash occurs, I would rather not crash and be without a car a while.

Also im genuinely considering stopping my car next time and dragging the other driver up to the road markings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

If you're that worried about a crash occurring then use the right hand lane and go the entire way around the roundabout if a car appears to be going straight ahead beside you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 The Drunk Accountant

True I considered that but then again what if I get dizzy and cause an accident?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

As SV said, if you take the Paulstown road into Kilkenny, the roundabout at the ring road is the very same. It doesn't stop me frequently having to be VERY cautious around other cars because I can't be sure whether they know or not.

It's purely to ease congestion in one lane, the only issue is that people don't pay attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

ottostreet wrote: »
    As SV said, if you take the Paulstown road into Kilkenny, the roundabout at the ring road is the very same. It doesn't stop me frequently having to be VERY cautious around other cars because I can't be sure whether they know or not.

It's purely to ease congestion in one lane, the only issue is that people don't pay attention.

I've had the same experience going into Kilkenny, a few near misses, plus getting beeped out of it, all for being in the lane as marked. Crazy stuff, like the 80kmph limit from Carlow to Powerstown, the same speed limit as for where I live, in the a**e end of nowhere. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

madmaggie wrote: »
    Crazy stuff, like the 80kmph limit from Carlow to Powerstown, the same speed limit as for where I live, in the a**e end of nowhere. :confused:

It's not a national route any more. That's the logic for it whether it makes any real world sense or not. The same with the widened and improved Dublin road out to the M9 at Castledermot which dropped its limit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Morf wrote: »
    It's not a national route any more. That's the logic for it whether it makes any real world sense or not. The same with the widened and improved Dublin road out to the M9 at Castledermot which dropped its limit too.
    Point taken, I did notice the new signs there re-branding that section of road. But the physical road itself has not changed, though I suspect that is irrelevant to whoever makes these decisions. :rolleyes:

Advertisement