Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City HackerSpace

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pp_me

Applied to be apart of the Google Group.. I would be interested in being apart of this

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Swinng

But I assume you have to be able to hack, etc :)

I can't :o

It all depends on what you mean by hack. This group will not be doing anything illegal rather using our interest in all things technical to get projects of interest off the ground and also to create a network of people interested in various topics. Check out the TOG.ie website to see what they get up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Swinng wrote: »
    It all depends on what you mean by hack. This group will not be doing anything illegal rather using our interest in all things technical to get projects of interest off the ground and also to create a network of people interested in various topics. Check out the TOG.ie website to see what they get up to.

Yeah, I should have checked TOG out first :).
    I will apply to the Google groups :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 guymartin

Would definately be interested in this if it was set up, myself and a friend were only talking about it recently, I've wanted to visit Tog in Dublin with ages but can never seem to get the chance. Will be watching this thread with great interest.

Thanks Guymartin,

If you apply to join the google group you will get updates as they happen.

https://groups.google.com/d/forum/south-east-hackerspace

• Advertisement

First meetup of the South Eastern Hackerspace

Sat 13th April @ 2pm in The Granary Cafe Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

It would be worth contacting http://www.searg.com/home.php

In the Dublin space we have at least 3 Radio Amateurs involved and at least one in 091 labs. The type of people involved in radio clubs normally have a long history of hardware hacking.

Normally the recommendation for any hackerspace is to pay for your own (small) central location and not rely on grants etc. I have a friend who is a letting agent, if you can define what you want. If considering locations you would at least need a months deposit and the first months rent collected in advance.

zg3409 wrote: »
    It would be worth contacting http://www.searg.com/home.php

In the Dublin space we have at least 3 Radio Amateurs involved and at least one in 091 labs. The type of people involved in radio clubs normally have a long history of hardware hacking.

Normally the recommendation for any hackerspace is to pay for your own (small) central location and not rely on grants etc. I have a friend who is a letting agent, if you can define what you want. If considering locations you would at least need a months deposit and the first months rent collected in advance.

I agree we need to be involved we all those groups. One of the main guys of searg works with me and is a member of the hackerspace group. So we will work closely with them.

Eventually we hope to get a nice central location but we need to see what we need. Over the next few meet-ups we should be able to get them together.

I will keep you in mind when do go looking for spaces.

So today is our first meet up.

Hope everyone can come along.

2pm in the Granary cafe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

Meeting went well. Great to see a crowd turn up.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

just an update

The second meet up of South East Hacker/Maker space is on Sat 11th at 4pm in Revolutions bar

• Registered Users Posts: 2 thekemkid

I'm a computing student in WIT, they had a hacking society a year or two ago, but as far as I know it got shut down. I don't know the details as I wasn't a student at the time, but if there was a new hacking society set up, would you guys be interested in collaboration with it? Theres also a nice grant available from WIT in setting up a society which could be a good boost. first thing you guys need is a website though, with a decent URL and you need a name. Just chiming in, let me know what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

Im in, theres cheap renting in the city.. alot of things can be haggled down in price!
    I dont know why you didnt tell me about this heathen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 peann

I helped out a bit in the WIT Hacking Society, and gave a few talks there. Also helped organise CampusCon. Might try pop along to the next meet. I was pondering setting up a Hackerspace in Waterford for years, but just didn't have the time or energy to go through with it. Well done for getting the ball rolling.

thekemkid wrote: »
    I'm a computing student in WIT, they had a hacking society a year or two ago, but as far as I know it got shut down. I don't know the details as I wasn't a student at the time, but if there was a new hacking society set up, would you guys be interested in collaboration with it? Theres also a nice grant available from WIT in setting up a society which could be a good boost. first thing you guys need is a website though, with a decent URL and you need a name. Just chiming in, let me know what you think.

Hi thekemkid, yes would would be happy to meet up with any like minded groups and have as many people from those groups to attend the meet ups. I am in the process of setting up the next meet up. Join the google group above to keep informed of what is happening.

0rt wrote: »
    Im in, theres cheap renting in the city.. alot of things can be haggled down in price!
    I dont know why you didnt tell me about this heathen!

We have currently looked at a view places but still a bit early to go in any agreement as we are currently in the process of setting up the administration and finances. Feel free to join the google group above for updates

thekemkid wrote: »
    I'm a computing student in WIT, they had a hacking society a year or two ago, but as far as I know it got shut down.

It didn't get shut down. It just gradually had less and less people attending. Organizer was trying to cater for different levels. It's hard to construct labs with some guys who are seasoned hackers, and other guys who have never opened a command prompt.

I would say that Kev ran the group very well, and covered lots of interesting topics.

peann wrote: »
    I helped out a bit in the WIT Hacking Society, and gave a few talks there. Also helped organise CampusCon. Might try pop along to the next meet. I was pondering setting up a Hackerspace in Waterford for years, but just didn't have the time or energy to go through with it. Well done for getting the ball rolling.

Thanks peann, experience with CampusCon would be a great help here. Join the google group above to get an update on the next meet up.

Will do.

If you're not on there already, pop on irc.2600.net and join the Irish #2600ie channel. Lot's of guys involved in hackerspaces around Ireland on there.

Just thinking the group has slightly changed its name a bit to reflect the different group of people that have joined

https://groups.google.com/d/forum/south-east-maker-space

I don’t use IRC as much as I should but I will definitely join the channel

• Advertisement

Hi

Next Meet up this Sat 13th @ 4pm in Revolutions

Get all the updates by going to our site http://wiki.southeastmakerspace.org/doku.php

Hi,

Next meet-up today at 4pm at Revolutions bar

All welcome to come along

• Site Banned Posts: 118 ✭✭Addictedtogolf

Swinng wrote: »
    Hi,

Next meet-up today at 4pm at Revolutions bar

All welcome to come along

Post at 3pm meet at 4pm lol.
    Bit of advance notice the next time guys please?

Sorry man,

We meet up the second Saturday of each month

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Hi reading this thread and was wondering if someone from the community would be interested in teaching kids some basic coding? My 6 year old is really interested but there is nowhere for him to learn code. If someone could set up a class, maybe 2 evenings a week or a Saturday morning that would teach the basics with small projects (apps, basic games, music, animation ect.) It would be a great revenue source and also great to get kids into coding.

Irishder wrote: »
    Hi reading this thread and was wondering if someone from the community would be interested in teaching kids some basic coding? My 6 year old is really interested but there is nowhere for him to learn code. If someone could set up a class, maybe 2 evenings a week or a Saturday morning that would teach the basics with small projects (apps, basic games, music, animation ect.) It would be a great revenue source and also great to get kids into coding.

I will ask the group and get back to you on this.
    There is another great group in Waterford coder dojo
    http://zen.coderdojo.com/dojo/83
    There main aim is to teach coding to kids. They meet up every Saturday might be worth a look also

Hi everyone we have advanced a long way since the start you can keep up with what we are up too on our website

http://wiki.southeastmakerspace.org

Next Meet up is on Sat 14th September in Revolutions

Don't forget out next meet-up is this weekend Sat 14th in Revolutions Bar @ 4pm

Title: Pinhole Photography - Mike Taylor
    Mike Taylor will be giving a presentation on pinhole photography, from creating your own camera and taking the images to developing them yourself. He will present a few small projects that he has done and give an overview of upcoming projects that he plans to start once we have our own space.

Title: Security 101 - Wayne Finn
    Wayne Finn will be giving a presentation on basic network and application security concepts as well as providing tips on secure network design.

Meet-up today if you are around

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 118 ✭✭Addictedtogolf

Anyone in here an expert in database work for a website.
    Need someone a.s.a.p.
    Message me.

Advertisement