Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Day music festival for Bolton Street car park

Options
  • 04-03-2013 6:37pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looks like an announcement is imminent

http://www.daytripper.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Shall we play "Bolton Street Shows" bingo?

I'll say The Boomtown Rats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

There are a shit load of Irish bands I'd like to see at this.
    I only hope they don't go for some Bressie type shite to attract crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ilikeyourcow

Kilkenny get The Boss and we get the coronas and emelda may!!!! May aswell of had it in the forum!! Just hoping the sat night will be big!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,257 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

very good for Waterford to have something like this.

The Script for Saturday id guess

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

That Friday line up has me sold anyway. Any hints for the Saturday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Great news for Waterford :) something to look forward to

• Registered Users Posts: 38,257 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hoepfully the saturday lineup will be good.

How great will it be to simply just leave our own houses and go to a high class gig locally without having to wory about getting to Dublin or Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Ghostbusthat

There's no one on the line up so far that i'd want to see, but it's great that something like this is happening here finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,545 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Hope this is a success I really do. So far the line up doesnt float my boat too much personally especially at the price point of 42.50 per day

This is the type of thing its up against with regard to the price point http://www.longitude.ie/

Granted the capacity size means the local oragnisers cant hope to do a similar gig to the Dublin one at the same cost, hopefully there is at least one 'wow' name amoungst the Saturday line up

They definitely dont make this aim so far on the front page of the site imo
    DAYTRIPPER aims to be the best value music event in the country this year with tickets costing just €40 per day plus service charge of €2.50. This is below the cost of many single act gigs in the country this summer and well below any comparable festival events.

Early days though, and dont want to be entirely negative. Great to see this type of thing happening, the potential of that venue was shown during the Tall Ships and Harvest festivals in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

a positive event for the city and something to look forward to! hopefully the line up for saturday will be worth waiting for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭deisediva

They know what they are up to. Waterford Marathon on that weekend on the Saturday so a lot will stay in hotels and buy tickets for something like this.
    Hope someone decent playing on Saturday.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    very good for Waterford to have something like this.

The Script for Saturday id guess

They are in luxemburg that weekend so tryin to think of another big irish act...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

its low budget so expect bressie jedward or jamilia for sat
    anyway beat have linep in the morn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Hopefully they can maybe expand on this and have a proper walk-about music festival in the city. Think of the buzz it would create with various acts on at different times in diffferent areas of the city over the day with the headliner down in Bolton Street or possibly some gigantic aviation bunker out by the airport á la Sónar in Barcelona

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Kilkenny get The Boss and we get the coronas and emelda may!!!! May aswell of had it in the forum!! Just hoping the sat night will be big!!!

Jesus some people are never happy this town is not exactly alive and kicking, something like this is a chance to have a positive thing in the city and there is still people like you complaining. I bet if god himself was making a Devine appearance in Bolton st car park you would still moan it's not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Is it definitely €42.50 per day? Or is that for the 3 days?

I'd like to see O Emporer at it, and Solar Taxi are class!

S28382 wrote: »

Jesus some people are never happy this town is not exactly alive and kicking, something like this is a chance to have a positive thing in the city and there is still people like you complaining. I bet if god himself was making a Devine appearance in Bolton st car park you would still moan it's not good enough.

No it is a good thing for the town but they seem to be acts who have played the forum put together. All im saying is we are bigger and better than the likes of kk so show it. I do hope it goes well and it will give the town a lift. I would love to see blur or mumford and sons along with irish acts so there is an international flavour to it esp for the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

No it is a good thing for the town but they seem to be acts who have played the forum put together. All im saying is we are bigger and better than the likes of kk so show it. I do hope it goes well and it will give the town a lift. I would love to see blur or mumford and sons along with irish acts so there is an international flavour to it esp for the price

Well for the most part it's supporting Irish acts plus Saturdays act hasn't been announced yet maybe that will be a big one, I just think your criticism is a bit premature. This city needs more and more things like this to show people that it still is a place that can be good and that its not dead and buried just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Good news for Waterford, hoping it does really well. Personally, there's none there I'd pay to see but what does that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

old gregg wrote: »
    Good news for Waterford, hoping it does really well. Personally, there's none there I'd pay to see but what does that matter.

Well it kinda does matter because that seems to be the general consensus on this thread. People are presuming that even if they don't like the acts there will be hundreds of others that will. But will they like them to the tine of 42 euro? Or 130 euro for the whole weekend? If Saturday is a big act then that will sell out and Saturday and Sunday might struggle.

It's a gamble, that's for sure. But I admire them for it and I hope they pull it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

Well it kinda does matter because that seems to be the general consensus on this thread. People are presuming that even if they don't like the acts there will be hundreds of others that will. But will they like them to the tine of 42 euro? Or 130 euro for the whole weekend? If Saturday is a big act then that will sell out and Saturday and Sunday might struggle.

It's a gamble, that's for sure. But I admire them for it and I hope they pull it off.

Imelda May and The Coronas will both surely draw crowds as I'd imagine they are big enough acts, they seem to have no problems everywhere else they go sure.

Although I'd agree with your point about a huge Saturday act having an influence. I presume they'll announce the Saturday act before tickets go on sale, otherwise it might cause people to hold off just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

This is great for the city. And to those looking for bigger acts, the site only has a capacity of 2,500. No very large act like Springsteen is going to play a show of that size. So I think the organizers have gone for decent acts that fit the venue. I would love to see some good Irish bands being supported though, especially O Emperor. And given the name of the event they have to throw in a Beatles tribute band somewhere! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Metallica?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

40 quid... ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

This is great for the city. And to those looking for bigger acts, the site only has a capacity of 2,500. No very large act like Springsteen is going to play a show of that size. So I think the organizers have gone for decent acts that fit the venue. I would love to see some good Irish bands being supported though, especially O Emperor. And given the name of the event they have to throw in a Beatles tribute band somewhere! :D
    Odds of that being Lebowski?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

Best of luck with that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Didn't that area hold more for the tall ships concerts ?

I suppose from a business perspective there must be a hope that people will travel from out of town to this. This raises the question as to how many of the acts listed are not already available to see on a regular basis around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

old gregg wrote: »
    I suppose from a business perspective there must be a hope that people will travel from out of town to this. This raises the question as to how many of the acts listed are not already available to see on a regular basis around the country.

2,500 tickets per day doesn't sound like something designed to pull 'em in from near and far. Some will I'm sure but no one in Dublin or Cork is going to be packing a bag for a long weekend in Waterford

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    2,500 tickets per day doesn't sound like something designed to pull 'em in from near and far. Some will I'm sure but no one in Dublin or Cork is going to be packing a bag for a long weekend in Waterford

That being the case then it means roughly 5% of the local population will need to attend each day which is a pretty high expectancy rate when many of the acts play here regularly anyway.

Advertisement