Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Day music festival for Bolton Street car park

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well the "30 miles radius" crowd will turn up I'm sure for a chosen day but little beyond that I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

What a heap.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

mike65 wrote: »
    Well the "30 miles radius" crowd will turn up I'm sure for a chosen day but little beyond that I'd say.

Think it will be a purely Waterford thing,
    Got to start somewhere I guess,
    Can't help but feel the ticket price is high for the acts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Nypd wrote: »
    Think it will be a purely Waterford thing,
    Got to start somewhere I guess,
    Can't help but feel the ticket price is high for the acts.

Ticket prices woefully high, to put it into perspective longitude is €44.50 for one day with kraftwerk as the headliner as well as at least 10 other acts on the day. Now obviously marlay park can hold more but theres a lot of filler at the day tripper gig.

Loving the local aspect but it would have been better if it had one local band and 2 half decent headliners rather then 1 sub-par headliner, loads of well below par filler acts and then a local band. Hoping the Saturday has someone at least half significant!

Local aspect is good but at the risk of sounding negative all those bands can be watched for free on johns street.
    I really hope this works for the city, lord knows we need a boost.
    Thought we might have had an annual big gig with the music fest in the sports centre but that crashed and burned (saying that the marketing was shocking)
    Fingers crossed for a good Saturday night act.

• Advertisement

Is the old gas works site not intended to be used for this purpose with a bigger capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I cannot believe some of these posts. There is a gig being put on in the middle of town, over a weekend, with artists coming from as far as Germany and some of you are moaning ?
    I'm sorry that Waterford cannot entice bands as big as the Rolling Stones and you have to put up with bands that you see in Johns street every week. But FFS at least someone is doing something good and positive.
    I didn't realise that Kraftwerk were a charity and travel across Europe with all their equipment for free ? Setting up and running a gig is an expensive thing, you wouldn't get much change from sixty euro for an hour and a half of One Direction miming and that is at other end of the country.
    God bless the local council, with all the economic gloom and misery at least they are making a positive contribution to this city. The Museums, Winterval etc., etc., etc. Get out and fu@king enjoy yourselves. Everybody had good things to say concerning the Winterval, so what makes people think that this won't be just as successful and enjoyable.
    As regards to the ticket prices, you could easily spend that in a crappy club drinking crappy beer listening to crappy music and thats without the take away and the taxi home.
    Quit your whineing and give the organisers the support and credit that they deserve because if you don't no-one will be bothered to organise things in the future.
    Rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Stefan that is a valid argument that should be pinned on notice boards in towns over ireland. People hate door charges of any description in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

Stefan that is a valid argument that should be pinned on notice boards in towns over ireland. People hate door charges of any description in this country.

if afraid No Door Charge is just a Waterford thing. All other towns and cities have door charges. even Kilkenny on a Monday night!
    on a positive note, i think weekender will be a great success. a great day(s) out. it should be supported and shouted from the roof tops to attract a regional crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

It is valid and worthwhile for people to have a discussion as to prices and lineup. We are after all the proposed audience. If people feel the price is high then it's not Waterford apathy or moaning as Stefan's post has suggested. It's just people evaluating a spending opportunity.

Personal experience tells me that Waterford people don't generally like to pay for music. That's a shame and on a personal level an experience that has/is costing me elsewhere. In this instance it appears that Waterford people are being expected to pay considerable money for something that is available on a regular basis. That's not Waterford bashing. Logic says that no major band such as the Stones or Kraftwerk are going to play to 2,500 people in a car park. There is however an opportunity to put on an event that will both entice locals to part with money and bring in a travelling audience. Whether this festival achieves that remains to be seen and I'd wish the organisers well.

For me personally there's nothing entice me to attend and that's largely musical taste. I'd travel to a number of festivals around Europe each year both to party and perform so am on the one hand receptive and on the other more clinical when looking at an event's pricing and attractions.

• Advertisement

O Riain wrote: »
    Is the old gas works site not intended to be used for this purpose with a bigger capacity?

There is an objection in against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

Hope this works the city, the organisers but as mentioned above, have seen most of the acts already and a lot for Free.

Dont see the wisdom in charging 42.50 if I'm honest, In saying that hope it does well for those concerned.

Looking forward to seeing the Saturday line up, as people have said above Fri & Sunday wouldn't attract me spending 42.50, and Stefan your point of spending that money drinking crappy beer in a crappy place.. Will the 42.50 include beer/food and a taxi home?
    If not surely you still need the money to drink beer in Bolton St, and get taxi home and food too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

i think we were spoiled with "free" gigs at tall ships, and cheap gigs at Harvest Festival - we need to pay --- agreed 42 is a bit up there --- 25 or 29 would be acceptable for a good night out
    on the subject of "crappy beer and food"
    i think all events in bolton st had a great beer offering at a reasonable price
    and as for food - had the best noodles, burgers, paealla at these gigs -

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

anymore news on the Saturday acts ??

going to hold off til they annouce them before thinking of tickets.

Snow Patrol, Bell X1, Boomtown Rats, The Pogues, Mundy, Damien Dempsey, Mick Flannery (Think it his name , he played in the fourm last december), Glen Hansard, LAPD, Horslips and you never know U2 could all be potential acts for Saturday.

Was told this morning it could be madness.
    That would be a good act if it was true, then again you just don't know with this city, arms and legs get added to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

If it's a thing that Madness are announced, I'll be buying tickets for me, my family, and my dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Bards

Nypd wrote: »
    Was told this morning it could be madness.
    That would be a good act if it was true, then again you just don't know with this city, arms and legs get added to everything.

somebody was probably told the price of the tickets and then were told that the main act wasn't yet announced for Saturday.

They probably replied with "That's Madness" and someone else over heard Saturday and Madness and put two and two together and got Five:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Bards wrote: »
    somebody was probably told the price of the tickets and then were told that the main act wasn't yet announced for Saturday.

They probably replied with "That's Madness" and someone else over heard Saturday and Madness and put two and two together and got Five:D
    Five are playing at it!! ? :D

Five are playing at it!! ? :D

Nice one five and madness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

Anyone know how to buy the tickets online?? There is no direction on their site to buy them online? Not on ticket master either??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What's the noise like if you happen to live in Catherine Street/Bolton Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

Bell X1 plus an International band would be good for 42.50

Anyone know how to buy the tickets online?? There is no direction on their site to buy them online? Not on ticket master either??

At next door off license next to the forum or http://www.forumwaterford.ie/book/685545/

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

There is a buy tickets link at the top leads to here

I would go to one of the days but I'm waiting in case the Saturday show is something I'd prefer. Wonder why they haven't announced Saturday yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

mecco wrote: »
    There is a buy tickets link at the top leads to here

I would go to one of the days but I'm waiting in case the Saturday show is something I'd prefer. Wonder why they haven't announced Saturday yet.

Thanks, refreshed the page a few times and got it, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

mecco wrote: »
    Wonder why they haven't announced Saturday yet.
    You can listen to a podcast of Deise AM on 5th March here: http://www.wlrfm.com/wlrfm-podcasts/deise-am-podcasts.html

The organiser explains about the festival, and why they haven't announced the Saturday acts yet (they are still tying up the contracts so can't announce anything until then).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

would love to see Sterophonics there but id say it could be someone like the Saw Doctors or the winner of the Voice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

PTH2009 wrote: »
    would love to see Sterophonics there but id say it could be someone like the Saw Doctors or the winner of the Voice
    If the organisers are having delays tying up contracts it should be someone big enough. You'd think they'd have this all done before announcing the concert, looks like they are following the Waterford Music Fest school of PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

If it's a thing that Madness are announced, I'll be buying tickets for me, my family, and my dog.

Madness would be a GREAT Act for the Saturday nite, massive following in Waterford :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

PTH2009 wrote: »

Would be awesome, instead Dublin tomorrow night will have to do :)

Advertisement