Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Day music festival for Bolton Street car park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

SATURDAY 29 JUNE
    21.15 to 22.45 MADNESS
    20.30 to 21.10 SKAZOO
    19.45 to 20.30 KING KONG COMPANY
    19.00 to 19.40 FIGHTING SPIDERS
    18.00 to 19.00 NATTY WAILER
    17.15 to 17.55 GYPSI SWING

Shaping up great, cant wait for it, good lively bands hopefully weather is decent. Other lists and times on WLR news section. I heard that there might be 35€ tickets going for credit union members, get out there and support it, it will be back for years to come, bigger and better, could be the best city based music festival in the country. All it requires is support from the local population and it will grow so get out of the locals, use this as your rare night out if like myself lack of € has your nights out restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,257 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Max Powers wrote: »
    SATURDAY 29 JUNE
    21.15 to 22.45 MADNESS
    20.30 to 21.10 SKAZOO
    19.45 to 20.30 KING KONG COMPANY
    19.00 to 19.40 FIGHTING SPIDERS
    18.00 to 19.00 NATTY WAILER
    17.15 to 17.55 GYPSI SWING

Shaping up great, cant wait for it, good lively bands hopefully weather is decent. Other lists and times on WLR news section. I heard that there might be 35€ tickets going for credit union members, get out there and support it, it will be back for years to come, bigger and better, could be the best city based music festival in the country. All it requires is support from the local population and it will grow so get out of the locals, use this as your rare night out if like myself lack of € has your nights out restricted.

seems good timings

Id say Gypsi Swing/Fighting Spiders/Skazoo are on the second stage cause 5 mins is a very sort time to get stuff ready for madness

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The one thing I noticed about this festival that it doesn't appear to be known outside of Waterford or the South East. Whereas some small festivals outside of Dublin are advertised and known. There currently promoting this in Waterford right now with Beat.

I was chatting to a bus driver in Dublin a few weeks ago, lad in his 20s, and he was able to tell me about a lot of festivals and gigs outside of Dublin that weren't that big but was unaware of the Waterford Festivals and said he would be interested in going.

Daytripper should be big enough to be attracting more people and be advertised outside of Waterford. There should be a weekend pass, if they haven't done one yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

skaface wrote: »
    :cool:

Great news today on the radio that the MADNESS GIG is Sold Out

Due to the demand for tickets for the saturday night, another 2,500 Tickets
    have now been put on sale!!

How does that work? I bought a ticket for Saturday when this was announced which I assume is for all gigs. But how can Madness be sold out if tickets are still available for Saturday?!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

It just means that the Saturday night was the first night that the actually sold/gave away the full 2,500 tickets, so hence they can declare it a sell out, but how they can then add another 2,500 tickets is anyone's guess.

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote: »
    It just means that the Saturday night was the first night that the actually sold/gave away the full 2,500 tickets, so hence they can declare it a sell out, but how they can then add another 2,500 tickets is anyone's guess.

So, Madness isn't sold out? One can still purchase tickets for Saturday so I assume that will include Madness?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Sully wrote: »
    So, Madness isn't sold out? One can still purchase tickets for Saturday so I assume that will include Madness?

It was never sold out just seems like a bit of spin.
    I would have thought madness would have actually sold more.

Spin might have left people confused. I thought it was sold out and so did others, someone asked today if I could find them tickets.

Looking forward to it all the same. Shame its not done better sales wise.

Sully wrote: »
    The one thing I noticed about this festival that it doesn't appear to be known outside of Waterford or the South East. Whereas some small festivals outside of Dublin are advertised and known. There currently promoting this in Waterford right now with Beat.

I was chatting to a bus driver in Dublin a few weeks ago, lad in his 20s, and he was able to tell me about a lot of festivals and gigs outside of Dublin that weren't that big but was unaware of the Waterford Festivals and said he would be interested in going.

Daytripper should be big enough to be attracting more people and be advertised outside of Waterford. There should be a weekend pass, if they haven't done one yet.

same for a lot of gigs/tours, you can catch &&&&& at ....galway,....limerick and ...cork. Yet when i hear this on the radio, i sometime know that the same band is playing in Waterford around same time but doesnt get a mention. I presume it is bad promotion on the Waterford event location, seems a bit silly to be honest. Day tripper will succeed if local/SE people get behind it, next year they may have more money to promote outside of SE. Just for the record I have seen it advertised in Hot press and i heard a DJ talking about it when they were doing a bit on other music festivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Im going to the Saturday gig but lets be honest it's an overpriced mediocre event where astonishingly you cannot get a weekend pass. I thought this was a festival? Hopefully next year it will grow. A multi location music festival in the city like sonar and with decent acts would be incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mrgardener

O Riain wrote: »
    Im going to the Saturday gig but lets be honest it's an overpriced mediocre event where astonishingly you cannot get a weekend pass. I thought this was a festival? Hopefully next year it will grow. A multi location music festival in the city like sonar and with decent acts would be incredible.

Why are you going?

mrgardener wrote: »
    Why are you going?

I'm going because its something to do and I am supporting it because its a local event that I hope will grow into something decent. That reason enough for you? Would you yourself consider it anything more than a mediocre event for the price and think that it was a wisemove not to include the choice of a weekend ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

for the love of..... Here's an idea, you try and run a concert with a better line up for a cheaper price. And until you do that why don't you shut the **** up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

invalid wrote: »
    for the love of..... Here's an idea, you try and run a concert with a better line up for a cheaper price. And until you do that why don't you shut the **** up.

Well said. I love that those people who think they know everything have never actually done anything worthwhile in their lives. Easy to criticise from the sidelines.

invalid wrote: »

Im not saying I can do better but id expect better for the money. The tickets are far from cheap for what's on offer. To put it into perspective I could get a day ticket for body and soul, longitude or sea sessions for roughly the same price as a day tticket here. Are you telling me that the average person has to be a seasoned concert promoter to notice that the event is just a tad expensive? €45 for madness is pushing it but €45 for Imelda may and the coronas is an absolute rob.

I know things are tough at the moment but the apparent poor ticket sales back me up on this. If this event was €30/€35 with a weekend pass for around €90 I wouldnt be saying one bad word against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

€45 for madness is pushing it but €45 for Imelda may and the coronas is an absolute rob.
    You do realise there's more than one band on each day?

€45 on Friday for Imelda May, Jerry Fish, Alabama 3, Jack L, Propeller Palms, Cat Dowling, The Scenes and Big September.

€45 on Saturday for Madness, King Kong Company, Natty Wailer, Skazoo, Fighting Spiders and Gypsi Swing.

€45 on Sunday for The Coronas, The Stunning, Gavin James, Keywest, Solar Taxi, The Dead Heavys, Roisin O, Kodakid and Cry Monster Cry.

You might think it's overpriced for €45 but your argument of €45 for Madness is just wrong. It's €45 for 6-8 gigs/performances depending on the day.

A day ticket for Longitude €54.50 and then add in the cost of travelling up and back from Marlay Park.

A day ticket for Body and Soul on the Sunday is €55. Same costs travelling up and down.

It's not a masterpiece of a weekend by any means, but expecting €35 per day and a €90 weekend ticket is ridiculous.

You do realise there's more than one band on each day?

€45 on Friday for Imelda May, Jerry Fish, Alabama 3, Jack L, Propeller Palms, Cat Dowling, The Scenes and Big September.

€45 on Saturday for Madness, King Kong Company, Natty Wailer, Skazoo, Fighting Spiders and Gypsi Swing.

€45 on Sunday for The Coronas, The Stunning, Gavin James, Keywest, Solar Taxi, The Dead Heavys, Roisin O, Kodakid and Cry Monster Cry.

You might think it's overpriced for €45 but your argument of €45 for Madness is just wrong. It's €45 for 6-8 gigs/performances depending on the day.

A day ticket for Longitude €54.50 and then add in the cost of travelling up and back from Marlay Park.

A day ticket for Body and Soul on the Sunday is €55. Same costs travelling up and down.

It's not a masterpiece of a weekend by any means, but expecting €35 per day and a €90 weekend ticket is ridiculous.

First of all travelling costs should not be used here in comparison. It's the price of the event we are looking at here.

Yes there are other bands on the day but the headline act is the big puller and then it is more or less a local/national affair after that. Nothing wrong with that and no denying the quality of those bands but once again the €45 for a festival of local bands and madness is just too much. Look im hoping this does really well, and will hopefully sell out with walk ins from around the city if the weather is good. It's the first year so im sure they can improve it for next year.

Does anyone see the scope of a multi-venue city music festival with stages on the plaza, park, waterside and Bolton street?? Would be class

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

I have travelled all over the UK the last few years to see Madness perform and the average ticket price is about £45 - 50 per gig.
    €40 is great value for a band of their class. You just can't please Waterford people.

Bluezar wrote: »
    I have travelled all over the UK the last few years to see Madness perform and the average ticket price is about £45 - 50 per gig.
    €40 is great value for a band of their class. You just can't please Waterford people.

True I think E42 is a good price for an outdoor gig. Sure its E90/E100 for Bruce Springsteen and E61.50 for the killers and these are not including food/drink and travel expenses.

Some people are so stingy they want everything cheap. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

ill be driving to this event, where can i park that is safe,but doesnt cost a fortune,thanks

• Advertisement

Bluezar wrote: »

Just checked it there on songkick and noticed that all their gigs are about the same price so I'll take back what I said about the gig being overpriced. I thought Madness gigs would be cheaper.....

hadepsx wrote: »
    ill be driving to this event, where can i park that is safe,but doesnt cost a fortune,thanks

Its actually on in a carpark so just drive the car right in :P

Only joking, it's gonna be a busy weekend with the Marathon on but anywhere around town would be safe enough and if you park it on the street in the evening you wont have to worry about paying for your parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mytime

Does anyone know who has the pouring rights for this?

mytime wrote: »

Would be great to see some metalman beers on tap. Is this planned by any chance? Perfect opprtunity for it

mytime wrote: »
    Id imagine the bar management at the fourm will have a bit of input as the fourm are running this event. So id say the same drink distributors to the fourm will have the rights to this event

Would be great to see some metalman beers on tap. Is this planned by any chance? Perfect opprtunity for it

I would love that, dont get out as much as i would like but going saturday and would be great to have a few metalmans,my beer of choice no doubt so it would be the icing on the cake for a socially starved man like myself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Personally I don't see €45 as a hefty price for a several hour long event. This one doesn't appeal to me but I've paid it happily many times for a headliner + a bunch of supports that I am into. I suppose if you enjoy Madness then this is good value, otherwise maybe not.

As an aside, our SAW Fest for September will be coming in around €50 for the entire weekend with most of the visiting artists giving their services in exchange for flights as a way to help get a unique festival off the ground. I guess we'll have a max of around 200 tickets as it's all theatre/gallery spaces.

Madness are playing in Newcastle on Friday night and i wonder will they fly straight to Waterford from there. Id imagine they will stay in the castle or Faithlegg but in fairness there not huge megastars so maybe they might stay in the Tower or even fly out straight after

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

for the Friday gig you can park on teh quay. for the Saturday & Sunday gigs i would suggest New Street or the Glen multi storey

• Advertisement

old gregg wrote: »
    Personally I don't see €45 as a hefty price for a several hour long event. This one doesn't appeal to me but I've paid it happily many times for a headliner + a bunch of supports that I am into. I suppose if you enjoy Madness then this is good value, otherwise maybe not.

As an aside, our SAW Fest for September will be coming in around €50 for the entire weekend with most of the visiting artists giving their services in exchange for flights as a way to help get a unique festival off the ground. I guess we'll have a max of around 200 tickets as it's all theatre/gallery spaces.

If the festival goes well this year would you go into talks with the guys running Daytripper and possibly join it combine them for next year and expand the festival into something much bigger? Im obsessed with the idea of an electric picnic style festival run around the city. Imagine the buzz!

Advertisement